Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Biz!

Texturing problems

Question

Everytime I try and work on a texture it does not fit in the doom style, do you have any tips on texturing for doom?

4 answers to this question

It's hard to draw a doom style texture from scratch, I would recommend editing existing ones or try to find out how the original doom graphics were drawn

Personally I use Wally with Doom palette when I want to draw something doomy. Spray tool and Scratch are your best friends

Do you make textures from scratch or from photos?

One thing that can help make your textures fit in Doom is to basically use Doom textures as a base. Start from a flood fill of medium gray (rgb 128 128 128) then apply your changes, darkening and brightening areas to create relief. For example, this texture overlay:

On samedi 5 décembre 2020 at 9:04 AM, kwc said:

wall03.png.cb7aa4486c586cd0ab78d637647fb379.png

Then you take a Doom texture, such as SHAWN2:

L954nRU.png

(If needed, duplicate it, move the copy to the side, and merge so it gets double-wide. Textures should tile so you can do that as many times as needed to get them to cover your pattern.)

Then move your overlay layer on top of the Doom base texture, and apply the "multiply" layer style, and you get this:

dCVEq34.png

Multiply is perfect for a pattern layer where midgray is the base color and you want to use it to confer relief to an otherwise flat texture. But other layer styles can be more appropriate, depending on circumstances. For example, take @Nootrac4571's doodles here.

First I resized it to 128x128:

OHcDXUc.png

Then I deleted the background:

50TLuXH.png

This was actually a two-step process: first using the magic wand tool in GIMP, selecting the background and hitting delete got rid of it. But there remained artifacts along the edges, part where the colors where a bit anti-aliased so they weren't really the background color but still much lighter than they should be. I used "enlarge selection" by just 1 pixel, cut it, pasted as a new layer, set its opacity to just 20%, and merged it back. So now the anti-aliased outer edge is subtly translucent. Could have done this a different way (probably transparency from color for best results) but this was quick and sufficient IMO.

Then let's try combining it with marble, here I chose the patch MWALL6_1,  but to make it closer in style with the other marble portraits I also overlayed the one with the arch-vile face (MWALL4_2), just with the arch-vile face deleted, to get a blank marble slab with the beveled edges:

xBYOG7j.png + XS4AiED.png = voqNw6d.png

Now I can apply the doodle on it. I tried different layer styles. Multiply:

cet2gL4.png

Hard light:

ue8N6Y9.png

Soft light:

B3kfdlY.png

I use the "new layer from visible" feature a lot.

None of them are really the look I want, so I try combining my combinations. For example, this is hard light with soft light overlayed on it (using the layer style actually called "overlay" in GIMP):

9gW3x95.png

Then I ended up putting this "combo light" layer on the "multiply" layer, with a normal style but 50% opacity.

axfh2vP.png

I like how this looks. However, combining the marble slab with itself has changed the colors from what they were supposed to be. To fix that, I make yet another "new from visible" layer, go back to my no-background doodle layer from way back, use "transparency -> selection from alpha" and invert selection so as to select the background, go to my latest layer, delete selection. Now there's just the marble head:

lPvvJ4O.png

Put back the marble slab and export to PNG, we have a completed texture:

Td6nuV0.png

Yay!

There's also other processes involved if you're texturing from photos. I won't copy what I have written here:

But basically: first make it tile, then resize it to Doom dimensions, finally make it fit into the palette -- and you can cheat that step by turning  it into monochrome and then colorizing it from SLADE with one of Doom's palette colors.

I'm going to second @SilverMiner's suggestion,
Start off by doing some Doom edits, use the textures that already exist in the Doom 1 or Doom 2 wads and make something new from them. 
Experiment with all the fancy effects or techniques on a bunch of those textures and you may kind of get a grasp as to how things are supposed to look, what works well in the palette and what kinds of shapes are used, !keep in mind which textures you like and dislike!. 
After you feel like you've got a bit more understanding, take another shot at doing some more original stuff.