Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

The 2020 Cacowards

Happy birthday Doom! Time for me to get a cup of coffee and start reading. Congratulations to all the winners!

2 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

HM

I see an HM as a legit cacoward. Congrats! And happy birthday, community!

4 minutes ago, dmslr said:

I see an HM as a legit cacoward. Congrats! And happy birthday, community!

Yes. The more people see the HMs as a second award tier, the happier I'll be. It's not weak stuff by any means.

Congratulations to all the winners! And happy birthday Doom, another year with a lot of more very impressive wads! <3

Aw, no bluename mention for my mini-contribution damn you @rd.

At least I played most all the megawads, and can confirm the selections are great. Need to check out more stuff though.

1 minute ago, Marn said:

what's the significance of the color scheme on the windows flag? also thanks for the mention!

Cacodemon-Doom-video-game.jpg

Congratulations to all the worthy winners, especially @Quasar.

Also whoever did that banner, top notch. I had immediate Windows 3.1 flashbacks.

7 minutes ago, FrancisT18 said:

And  poor @Big Ol Billy! ;(

He was seriously in the running... if only he had one big showoff petard to complement the consistent trickle of "very solid" outings.

Fantastic write-up from all the contributors, as usual.  A regular highlight of the year.  A huge congratulations to all the worthy winners.

There's definitely a theme running through a few of the winners this year (taking the classic Doom formula and making it either bigger, longer, prettier, or just plain more creative).  It'll be fascinating to see if this continues into 2021.

DBP26 seemed pretty 'showoff' among both his work and the 2020 DBP season to me, as well as the last map of DBP18, which comes with six additional very solid maps too. Though I was also thinking if the DBP awards were indecisive, maybe just give the DBP series as a whole for 2020 a single award, with a short description of each, can't go wrong that way! But I hope to see plenty of 'em in the @Not Jabba Review Corner alas.

I was also in support of Big Ol' Billy for Creator of the Year, based on his work over the past 2-3 years, not that I am at all against recognizing Bridgeburner, but I wasn't really thinking about handing him that award until AFTER the release of Age of Hell in favor of a mapper who already has more released maps and has contributed to more separate projects.

I'm so glad and wasn't expect to see that mine and @DMPhobos collab map screenshot was chosen to represent Mapwich 2 project for Cacowards. 

Also, congratulations everyone who got awards or got mention, I believe it was hard to choose from projects because there were so many this year and they are still growing everyday. I'm looking for the next one and next after that one... 

I just want to point out that I had a blast working in the prog duel 3 project with my two sons, RustK1ng and struggle. Moreover, having the opportunity to adopt two more children into my now cult-sized infinite supply of offspring, it was a pleasure parenting Dragonfly and whoever that other one was. Here at my household, my children and I would like to thank you all for your dedication to doom. We are humbled by your choice to select us for this award. 

27 minutes ago, FrancisT18 said:

DBP26 seemed pretty 'showoff' among both his work and the 2020 DBP season to me, as well as the last map of DBP18, which comes with six additional very solid maps too.

I've said this before, but it was probably in private, I feel that the DBP are consistently good but never great. The rush to build a mapset in one month leads to a degradation of quality; I would love to see Big Ol Billy lead an effort to spend more time on a specific DBP and ensure a consistent set of maps. There's been some interesting ideas (the nightmare mod was a fascinating concept) but I never feel like they quite reach the mountaintop.

Incidentally, this is the same reason I couldn't pull the lever for Shrine 2; the maps needed a little something else.