Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_Child

worst 3 maps of the doom sires

This all reminds me of the tie-breaker I had to do for the 1st place tie I was in for The Spiral on Doom 64. I and another gamer had tied for 1st and were left wondering how to resolve it. So the referee made us do a MAX speedrun, where you must get 100% kills on maximum difficulty with just a pistol to start as fast as you can. I ended up winning with a 15-second lead at 1:59. If any of you guys have access to Doom 64, try completing The Spiral in under 2 minutes on the hardest setting with default pistol/no armor. You'll get an idea of how hard that is to pull off.

Robert (the referee) has promised to send back the videos very soon, so I can post them for download. I can't wait to get them uploaded!

E3M1 and E3M9 are, IMO, the worst levels ever. They totally fail to use any of the potential of the game engine, offering instead HOMs, paper-thin walls, missing upper textures causing flat bleeding, and a design that looks like the typical myfirst.wad

Now, E3M9 being a repeat of E3M1 with added crazy ambushes was a good idea. Its just the execution that was off. First off, they should have used a different level, one that didn't blow to start with. Then, they should have been careful not to make the map worse by putting in more errors than it had originally, which is the case with E3M9.

The beginning of E3M1 where you raise up out of that gory pit to fight imps on a floor made of snakes was visually interesting, at least. You definitely knew you were in hell at that point. Perhaps that's one of a few redeeming factors the maps may have.

I liked all the Doom maps (even episode 4), but there is one map that does irritate me, and that's E2M3. The music is fine for intermission music, but after listening to it for about five minutes, it really gets on my nerves. Also, it's too loud for the map and tends to drown out the atmosphere. I always use IDMUS whenever I come to it.

...1000th post, heheh...

My least favourite levels are: Any level I can warp to on UV and finish without many problems. E3L7 Limbo is defiantly on of my favourite maps.

Tenements, downtown and the factory for Doom 2

The last level of the original doom and Slough of despair

I don't like most of the doom2 maps, they just look ugly. The Chasm, factory and icon of sin are the worst IMO.

Doom 64 has really good maps. There were a few with annoying jumping and the one with that needle-or-whatever trap, but Doom64 maps are my favourite official Doom maps.

Ct_red_pants said:

What was wrong wth the factory? heh, it even looked a bit like a factory (from the outside)

That's the problem. It looked like one from the outside-but not from the inside. Just a lot of plaster and wooden doors on the inside, doesn't make sense at all for a level masquarading as a factory.