Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hailsataneveryday

I'm worried about the future of Doom.

On 12/10/2020 at 5:49 PM, hailsataneveryday said:

Doom 3 was a dead-serious game, the atmosphere was one of things nobody could really complain about

I thought Doom 3's atmosphere was sterile. A greater and more absorbing artistic presentation could be found on nearly any old Pizza Hut box. 

17 minutes ago, Ajora said:

I thought Doom 3's atmosphere was sterile. A greater and more absorbing artistic presentation could be found on nearly any old Pizza Hut box. 

In our country we don't have Pizza Hut, but iunderstoodthatreference.gif and i had a smirk.

Bloodite Krypto moment.

Man, as long as you have fans like this that keep the game fresh with all the community content that gets put out yearly, you shouldn't have to worry your lil head about it.

17 hours ago, slayermbm said:

Hallowed Be Thy Name sent chills down my spine the first time I listened, not so many years ago

(off-topic. Last one, I promise!) Very much so. Still does for me as well. Try 'Brave New World' (the song) for a similar feeling.

On 12/11/2020 at 1:43 AM, AtticTelephone said:

Doom is not doing great, well, at least New Doom isn't. They sell, but they aren't very good, and attract a certain type of fan, thankfully the kind that swarm the lands of r/Doom, so it doesn't matter. New Doom is temporary, but Classic Doom is forever. I'm not worried about the future of Doom, since all the new ones can easily be ignored.

Lol, i think doom eternal is the best shooter ever made and i have played A LOT of shooters but i must say that i play more classic doom because of the community mods and wads. 

Speaking of reddit, all gaming reddits with massive population like r/Doom are full of overused unfunny memes and weird people, its not only r/Doom

Edited by JuanchoES

1 minute ago, Pegg said:

Call of Duty, Raven software (Heretic and Hexen devs) makes them.

O_O

That slow paced linear game was made by Raven?

I didn't expect this from them, looks like they're kinda weird guys lol

1 minute ago, SilverMiner said:

O_O

I didn't expect this from them, looks like they're kinda weird guys lol

Yes.

They used to be great once.

10 minutes ago, seed said:

Yes.

They used to be great once.

Blame Activision for the drastic negative change.

14 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

The series has been made by Treyarch/Infinity Ward/Sledgehammer Games (depending on title) with Raven as an assistant and occasional DLC maker. They've taken a more important role only recently, being lead developer for CoDBlOps: Cold War's campaign mode; but anything released before 2020, they were just some extra help on somebody else's game.

CoD isn't slow paced lmao. Go watch pro play and people play super aggressively. In most gamemodes moving and awareness will net you a lot more kills than hanging back and holding one angle. 

I'm no fan of CoD and haven't been for a long time, but even I agree that it is not a slow ass series...

I heard Raven is where they are now because their Wolfenstein and Singularity games didn’t sell as well as Activision demanded them to. Old Raven would’ve made a new Heretic or Hexen between the release of Doom 2016 and DE by now, but they’ve been defeathered far too long for anything like that to ever happen now. 

This community is independent of Bethesda. We mod Doom. We have the tools to do so. Simple as that.

If Nintendo hasn't stopped their community of content creators, Microsoft and Bethesda ain't gonna touch us.

We have the RESOURCES.

THE WILL.

TO MAKE THESE WADS COUNT.

I thought it was common knowledge that Raven's Wolfenstein wasn't successful, that's why the property was handed to Machine Games and soft rebooted. 

Indeed, I would love a new installment in these series, but it's way too late for that now.

30 minutes ago, A.H. Sankhatayan said:

Doom has no future. It's time to move on to Half-Life, guys...

2000 eh? I guess he didn't expect people would still be playing the game by 2020, when it's almost 30 years old :p.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

I thought it was common knowledge that Raven's Wolfenstein wasn't successful, that's why the property was handed to Machine Games and soft rebooted. 

I thought so too, but somebody was surprised that they’re working on COD DLC, so anything’s possible. 

1 hour ago, seed said:

2000 eh? I guess he didn't expect people would still be playing the game by 2020, when it's almost 30 years old :p.

I had to take a screenshot of that when I found it, because the post is literally older than me and here I am, taking up my spare time to make Doom maps :D 

doom is the spam of the gaming industry [because spam is a very versatile meat, you can make lots of things out of it]

you see blade of agony? the Wolfenstein tc? absolutely gorgeous, i dont think you would get the same feeling if you did that in half life.

im not worried about Dooms future, nor will i ever be. its nearly 30 years and the community is still this strong. Doom is probably going to last several more generations, [and maybe even more so]

Ah, yes. More Doom doomposting on the doomworld forums at doomworld dot com

On 12/18/2020 at 6:47 AM, A.H. Sankhatayan said:

Doom has no future. It's time to move on to Half-Life, guys...

3.jpg.e9abf9207555c672c5f0e5b30ec1526e.jpg

I'm trying to work out what innovation they're referring to by "circular textures". Maybe the bezier curve tool in Quake 3? I have no recollection of any game from that time moving away from x*y texture dimensions.

32 minutes ago, Bauul said:

I'm trying to work out what innovation they're referring to by "circular textures". Maybe the bezier curve tool in Quake 3? I have no recollection of any game from that time moving away from x*y texture dimensions.

It has to be Bezier curves. I'm not sure how you'd even implement circular textures -- replace cartesian coordinates with polar coordinates, maybe? So instead of x and y you get theta and delta for angle and distance. It would result in resolution decreasing as you get away from the center of the texture, though.

People bring up modding in these kinds of points. You do realize creating tools for a fully 3D, scripted FPS, with modern graphics, for detailed map creation that people can understand is way, WAY harder than moving sectors up and down right? That's why snap map is all prefabs because creating custom 3D geometry that looks good is hard. 

That aside it's not even an issue. People are creating whole games in GZDoom. We don't need Doom Eternal editors. And as for Doom's longevity, I'm not even going to address that dead horse of a conversation. 

as far as i could understand, OP wanted "nuDooms" future to be secured. it's not about "old scene will die", it is more about "how to make bethesda release tools and sources, so the new scene may emerge". so we were wrong in that part where we've talking about "don't worry, original scene won't disappear" (OP knows it very well). but i believe that we all hit the nail with "it doesn't matter for nuDooms, modding for modern FPSes is stillborn".

that is, i'd like to see sources of the new engine, but only out of curiousity, it's not practically usable for me. and i don't expect others to be excited too. it takes years to familiarise yourself with original doom engine. and now imagine how fun will be to explore something of UE4 size, without documentation and people you can ask questions. that effort is doomed. ;-)

7 hours ago, Super Mighty G said:

People bring up modding in these kinds of points. You do realize creating tools for a fully 3D, scripted FPS, with modern graphics, for detailed map creation that people can understand is way, WAY harder than moving sectors up and down right? That's why snap map is all prefabs because creating custom 3D geometry that looks good is hard.

I feel like this seldom gets mentioned whenever discussion of mod tools comes up with nuDoom. Modern games have reached a level of complexity that making custom content for them requires a level of time and talent that, I imagine, most people would rather put toward their own projects.

And, not to discredit the immense talent and dedication of the Doom modding community, but Doom is extremely easy to mod, relatively speaking.