Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Map

New Perfect Dark game announced at The Game Awards

5 minutes ago, Ajora said:

No idea what to expect. 

same. i dont think they are going to keep the gameplay similar to the original, but am hoping that they arent going to turn it into another perfect dark zero.

i want it to stay close to the original story, like "what happened after you killed the skedar king, do the skedar and the maians still have a ceasefire?, what happened to dataDyne?"  i just hope they dont screw it up...

Well, without the team that made the original GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, I think the odds of them screwing it up are very high. Could be wrong, but without them Perfect Dark Zero was just... not a great game. Basically Microsoft just bought the name when they bought Rare, the talent went to Free Radical. Which isn't bad, since we got the three Timesplitters games out of it, but it's a shame. 

Time will tell, but I wouldn't hold out any high hopes of it. Microsoft hasn't exactly done a whole lot with Rare since they acquired them. There was Perfect Dark Zero, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, and that pay to play/cash grab Killer Instinct (which apparently wasn't even made by Rare). Probably a few others. And I guess there was Sea of Thieves. 

What could this really have to do with Perfect Dark beyond the name? I'll be impressed if there's literally any answer to that other than nothing. 

10 minutes ago, hybridial said:

What could this really have to do with Perfect Dark beyond the name? I'll be impressed if there's literally any answer to that other than nothing. 

i saw the dataDyne logo, and i heard the name joanna dark, thats pretty much it, seemed like a trailer for a call of duty game more than perfect dark

I saw this during the awards and it was by far the game I am the most hyped for!

Was left a tad confused as to if it is a reboot or sequel / prequel though :-P

Am really, really hoping they don’t mess it up as loved perfect dark as a kid! 

Also fingers crossed Elvis makes a comeback! He was so funny and was stylishly af in his little America flag jacket :-P

12 hours ago, Jello said:

Well, without the team that made the original GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, I think the odds of them screwing it up are very high. Could be wrong, but without them Perfect Dark Zero was just... not a great game. Basically Microsoft just bought the name when they bought Rare, the talent went to Free Radical. Which isn't bad, since we got the three Timesplitters games out of it, but it's a shame. 

Time will tell, but I wouldn't hold out any high hopes of it. Microsoft hasn't exactly done a whole lot with Rare since they acquired them. There was Perfect Dark Zero, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, and that pay to play/cash grab Killer Instinct (which apparently wasn't even made by Rare). Probably a few others. And I guess there was Sea of Thieves. 

Rare isn't even making this game, either. It's a completely brand new developer made up of many talents from pretty much every big developer there is.

It could end up being a really good game, but I think it will play completely different from the original (and like I posted earlier, I would love for it to be like Future Perfect, but I guess whatever Free Radical team is now known as is likely making a new Timesplitters with the new THQ, so theres that)

I wish they would also consider bringing the Perfeck Dark franchise to PC much like what they did with the rest of the Halo games, I'd love a PC port of the Perfect Dark Remaster or the original version and even more with a map editor to allow you to create your own sp and mp levels, it's a shame they didn't consider doing that for its 20th Anniversary. I know there's a special keyboard and mouse emulator for the original but I still want an official port.

35 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

I wish they would also consider bringing the Perfeck Dark franchise to PC much like what they did with the rest of the Halo games, I'd love a PC port of the Perfect Dark Remaster or the original version and even more with a map editor to allow you to create your own sp and mp levels, it's a shame they didn't consider doing that for its 20th Anniversary. I know there's a special keyboard and mouse emulator for the original but I still want an official port.

same, and maybe with a pc port they could smoothen up the controls as well

I would rather have a multiplatform remaster first, and the trailer so far offers too little information on how this game will play compared to the original to have too much of an opinion.

There's an interview with the devs on the Xbox site, but they are super vague about what the game is. Still have no idea what type of gameplay they will be focusing on. Third person? First person? No clue yet. Overall I am glad they are bringing back this property. I hope they do it justice.

On 12/13/2020 at 2:07 AM, Avoozl said:

A straight up remaster on the PC wouldn't work very well, unfortunately. Having played the original with a mouse and keyboard, even on the highest difficulty setting, the game was far too easy to be enjoyable. The game would need to be completely redeveloped from the ground up. 

11 hours ago, Ajora said:

A straight up remaster on the PC wouldn't work very well, unfortunately. Having played the original with a mouse and keyboard, even on the highest difficulty setting, the game was far too easy to be enjoyable. The game would need to be completely redeveloped from the ground up. 

As someone who has aggressively played the M&K version, I concur to an extent. The only parts that are still hard are the tedious aspects of gameplay or the map that are well mirrored from console. The game is most fun when you're just trying to score headshots with as few bullets as possible, especially on Pellagic II.

28 minutes ago, Map said:

As someone who has aggressively played the M&K version, I concur to an extent. The only parts that are still hard are the tedious aspects of gameplay or the map that are well mirrored from console. The game is most fun when you're just trying to score headshots with as few bullets as possible, especially on Pellagic II.

and talk about an epic firefight in the g5 building at the end

As usual, a lot of people defaulting to assuming it's gonna be bad in this thread. Why? Default to neutral, not negative, the trailer doesn't show gameplay so you're simply judging a book by it's cover right now with some long-lasting stick-up-the-ass grudge you have.

I loved the original PD as a kid, and it still holds up pretty well today despite its age, so here's hoping they do the game some justice!

7 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

As usual, a lot of people defaulting to assuming it's gonna be bad in this thread. Why? Default to neutral, not negative, the trailer doesn't show gameplay so you're simply judging a book by it's cover right now with some long-lasting stick-up-the-ass grudge you have.

I loved the original PD as a kid, and it still holds up pretty well today despite its age, so here's hoping they do the game some justice!

i hope so as well, i play perfect dark frequently actually

Personally even though I love the original PD, I'm getting a bit tired of teaser trailers for games where my only reaction is, "Wow, that's a lot of really good PBR" due to a complete and total absence of context for gameplay.

28 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Personally even though I love the original PD, I'm getting a bit tired of teaser trailers for games where my only reaction is, "Wow, that's a lot of really good PBR" due to a complete and total absence of context for gameplay.

yeah! *cough* my friend Pedro! *cough*

Loved the first Perfect Dark, and have hopes that this will be good. The overly dramatic pop music score and generic, overly serious "voice-actor" voice acting isn't a great sign for my taste, but the premise seems functional enough for a game about espionage and aliens.

I recently played through the original Perfect Dark on Perfect Agent difficulty. That was quite the adventure. I can't believe I forgot how good the classic one actually was. It takes everything from GoldenEye and makes it 10x better. 

On 12/15/2020 at 4:43 AM, Dragonfly said:

Agree. I recently played the original on an emulator without any prior experience, and besides the archaic controls it held up very well!!!

That challenge with the slow-mo can go to hell though...

On 12/15/2020 at 4:43 AM, Dragonfly said:

Modern gaming hasn't given me many reasons to be optimistic about anything. :P