Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SimonOC

Can Doom help Quake?

The Doom community is so lucky! They have a central forum for everything related to Doom and regular community awards that highlight new work and long standing supporters of the community. It really is amazing how Doom can be so strong and coordinated after all this time.  Unfortunately the Quake community is a bit more fragmented and all over the place, but I do hope it gets there one day with everything Quake related being more central and community awards for new work.

I do have a favour to ask, from one id software modder to another, could the Doom community help out a Quake mod? Would you mind voting for a Quake mod over at the moddb event? I imagine some Doom fans are going to vote for Brutal Doom, however I was hoping that they and the Doom community could help out with a vote for Arcane Dimensions as well!

quakers_vote.png.f7c01984677e2e65a692c5199840431e.png

If you can spare the time, please vote for Arcane Dimensions

here - https://www.moddb.com/groups/2020-mod-of-the-year-awards/top100#vote44264

Thanks everyone

SimonOC

if Quakeone.com could sort out their shit so I could log on... then maybe I could actually contribute there. :p

But yeah. The quake community is fractured at best. A series of broken web sites at worst.

Also, voted.

EDIT: Also, dearest Simon. Would you care to reciprocate? ;) https://www.indiedb.com/games/doombringer/

Edited by kristus

Well, Quake is one of my all-time favorite games. And Arcane Dimensions was fan-fucking-tastic. I’m still amazed at what people can do with Quake, it’s absolutely gorgeous at times.

So yeah, I voted for it. It deserves it. 

Considering without Arcane Dimensions I wouldn't have delved into the realm of custom content for games and thus wouldn't be here on this forum, I think I can do that.

Also it is really unfortunate that the Quake Community is so fragmented and relatively small. There's so many amazing and talented people in there.

On 12/11/2020 at 7:21 PM, dmslr said:

I voted! Did you?

Of course 👍.

I voted for that and for Total Chaos for Doom 2. How many votes does one have?

On 12/11/2020 at 5:18 PM, SimonOC said:

The Doom community is so lucky! They have a central forum for everything related to Doom and regular community awards that highlight new work and long standing supporters of the community. It really is amazing how Doom can be so strong and coordinated after all this time.  Unfortunately the Quake community is a bit more fragmented and all over the place, but I do hope it gets there one day with everything Quake related being more central and community awards for new work.

I do have a favour to ask, from one id software modder to another, could the Doom community help out a Quake mod? Would you mind voting for a Quake mod over at the moddb event? I imagine some Doom fans are going to vote for Brutal Doom, however I was hoping that they and the Doom community could help out with a vote for Arcane Dimensions as well!

If you can spare the time, please vote for Arcane Dimensions

here - https://www.moddb.com/groups/2020-mod-of-the-year-awards/top100#vote44264

Thanks everyone

SimonOC

Done, and I'd have already done so of my own accord if I'd been aware the awards were underway. AD got me back into Quake after not being bothered for a long time.

Been a fan of your work for years btw. Using your industrial set from that can't-believe-it's-Q3-engine map you did with the crane in a yet-to-be-released Doom project. Cheers for the inspiration and all the fun you and your collaborators on AD have provided! 

Why doesn't Doomworld create a Quake subforum? :/

Quake forums suck so bad. The main one is celephais but ... what kind of a forum software is that? Here on DW we are living the good life!

Voted. Any time I want to introduce my friends to retro FPS games, I start with AD. We always have an incredible time, especially with Tears of the False Gods. Can't believe this is free content.

I do wish there was a Quake forum as popular as Doomworld. I'd use it just as much as DW.

Thanks everyone for the support and votes :)

I have always wondered why DoomWorld did not have a Quake forum as the retro gaming cross over is very strong between the two games. I certainly know of Doom mappers who make awesome Quake content as well. Having the focus and feedback from the largest Doom community would certainly benefit the Quake community and maybe open the Doom community to what is quietly being made in Quake Community as well.

7 hours ago, SimonOC said:

I have always wondered why DoomWorld did not have a Quake forum

Maybe it was so as not to stifle the dedicated Quake forums? @Linguicacould answer

Arcane Dimensions finally made it into the Moddb top 10 mods! Considering its a 24+ year old game, I think top 10 is a good victory for the Quake / Doom Communities. Hopefully this exposure will encourage more fans to try out old FPS games and maybe start modding and creating new content!

Cheers everyone for the voting help :)

It's interesting to see the list of mods that were up for votes. Some games were represented very little or not at all, despite thriving modding communities producing a lot of output. I figure that, if anything, the games with the largest modding communities will center around their own mod hosting sites instead of ModDB and that explained the relatively small presence of Doom and Quake on there, while strategy games had a strong presence. RPGs are also under-represented, probably because they largely go to the Nexus instead.

LOL it's just a bunch of strategy games and Half-Life content, that top 10 is a disappointment. It is way too niche.

16 minutes ago, VGA said:

LOL it's just a bunch of strategy games and Half-Life content, that top 10 is a disappointment. It is way too niche.

The one that got 2nd place is a mod of my favorite RTS game. Not nice of you 😡

(On a more serious note, I too see the trend on moddb is that the mods of strategy/RTS games usually tend to get top 10 spots.)