Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OniriA

2021 Goals & Intentions

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4Kb4Esbf-som4fWZdPp2

Since the current year is coming to an end soon, I was wondering what your plans, goals and intentions were for 2021.

They can be either Doom related (mapping, modding etc.) or personal and professional goals.

Also, what goals and plans from 2019 did you manage to reach this year? Any achievements you're proud that you (finally) managed to tackle? And what is your next step continuing from that? Any goals you didn't reach or turned out to be a disappointment instead, but would still like to try for the next year?

Don't be ashamed of your disappointments either, feel free to share your experiences.

In terms of doom, I have a momentum on a certain map that will probably come out summer 2021. I wanna make my first release a good one to make an impact I guess so I want some time.

In terms of life. Good grades and a position change for my job would be nice.

From the previous year, pretty much nothing came to fruition, and this was not a good year for me at all, main objective was to finish college but I failed miserably so I'm enjoying an extra year trying to pass the exams I failed, and there's plenty of them.

For next year, nothing grand, just hopefully finally find a job, be done with college once and for all, and hopefully level up my level of expertise for personal projects, as I'm no longer satisfied.

Maybe actually finish a map or two and release something to the public. Been a minute since I've done that.

I started mapping this past summer on a whim and everything about it has been a pleasant surprise.

In 2021, I'd like to continue learning about Doom 2 format and also learn the basics of Boom format--lots of Boom trickery really appeal to me.  If I can reach a certain level of competence, I'd like to contribute to open community projects.

Late 2021, if I feel I've improved enough, I may try doing a more "official" public test for either a short map set or a longer single map.  Something to actually release to /idgames.  That could end up being 2022, though.  I'm not in a rush and I have a lot to learn.  My main concern is having fun while I improve!

Hello,

I hope to have at least four WADs released by the end of 2021. They may or may not be Ultimate Doom pWADs.

Respectfully,

-alLAN95th

To keep the Wadazine going strong and probably a Wadazine mapping project, who knows :P

To be seen...

finish impscape, and maybe start making a videogame (im planning making some bullet hell shmup)

I've been gathering assets and ideas for a mod but haven't really got around to doing much actual mapping in 2020.  Hoping to get more in the way of mapping underway in 2021.

I'm planning to do more stuff related to Doom!

Here are some of my goals and intentions

-Improve my mapping skills

-Learn the different aspects in Doom mapping (good map layouts and styles, use of different elements such as doors, lifts, and traps, proper ammo, weapons, and monster layouts, scripting and modding)

-Create new Doom maps

-Continue writing articles of the Wadazine

-Release a megawad!

And that's pretty much it for now, more will come as time goes by! :)

Finish my megawad and then make a large limit removing map based on my favorite video game franchise :D

Finish uni, lose some weight, make an entire megawad, keep improving in vanilla doom mapping, learn zscript.

Hmm.  Finish this Heretic project called The Coven that I started in... 2019 I think?  I had put it on the backburner for a while, but it's now a good time for me to move it back to the front.

I also want to do more Halls of The Goat Child-style maps, where they're not too long, concise, and that I complete in a week or less.  Maybe do a series of them as one-off maps.

Maybe another Freaky Panties level.

7 hours ago, seed said:

From the previous year, pretty much nothing came to fruition, and this was not a good year for me at all.

Sometimes those type of years can happen unfortunately. Good luck with college and to all other endeavors for the next year.

7 hours ago, Lorenz0 said:

To release a megawad :)

6 hours ago, Oldschoolgeek32 said:

-Release a megawad!

Sounds ambitious, so good luck! Any big project requires a lot of self discipline and will teach you much about yourself in the end.

Its like plunging into a deep black well until you find a reflection of yourself. You are prepared to lose the world around you for a period of time in order to take something back from the abyss into the physical world.

7 hours ago, Endless said:

To keep the Wadazine going strong and probably a Wadazine mapping project, who knows.

It's nice to see something like that, it reminds me of the time I used to wade through various game magazines as a kid, only now a virtual version of that ; )

This year has been pretty fragmented for me in general with many shifting interests and priorities. The goal is to be more consistent and focus on a few things at a time, try to get good at these things and get stuff off the table instead of being distracted and let them be delayed or hover in the background constantly.

Before Doom Eternal's release, a music competition for the game was held by Bethesda Netherlands, where I took part and submitted a track for. I didn't win even though at the time I very much intended to. The winner would have had his name credited in the game itself next to getting his track mentioned by Mick Gordon.  In the end they proposed to send me a few goodies for taking part in the competition anyway, which I never replied to and instead I cursed Mick Gordon in my mind for some reason, and a few months after release of Eternal he was sacked by Id due to production / deadline issues. 

At the beginning of the year I also had ambitions to get into modelling to hopefully get something going on the side which would generate income, but due to the pandemic spreading globally in March these plans got shelved.

During the summer I started doing 2 jobs (1 as a postman), which I left after a few month's due to heavy rainfalls and storms starting again.

Goals for the next year is to start making new music again. And, making more money.

Edited by OniriA

Since I took a short break from the Doom community, and caring more about my personal life, I'm back baby, yee haw :]

Finish a limit-removing single-level wad for Plutonia,
why Plutonia? Becuase of new textures and some new other things (most of the bugs are kinda sick, ngl)
I'm also working on some speedmaps and planning for community map commissions.
Outside of mapping, I'm gonna improve on speedrunning (I only made a one run)
spriting and composing (I'm good at these but I want to be in a higher level)

To create an Ultimate Doom megawad & a Doom II megawad. The first is already well underway, and the latter is in the planning stages. Rather than start with advanced ports like GZDoom, Eternity or even PrBoom+, I've elected to master the limit-removing format first, seeing how far I can push its limits, before trying anything fancy. Likewise, I intend to get as much use out of Ultimate Doom's limited bestiary as possible before moving on to Doom II's expanded roster. Both of these wads will involve considerable dehacked modifications to the weapons, primarily the pistol and chaingun, some of which have already been completed. Various enemies have also had their health reduced to eliminate grind. This also helps me practice Dehacked modding, so that I can eventually start using the Dehextra standard to heavily alter and modify not just the bestiary and arsenal, but also to add new decorations and ambient sound effects, all compatible with limit-removing ports.

All this is supposed to build up my modding/mapping skills to the point that I can, with confidence, begin work on a little project I've had in mind in one form or another since I first got into Doom. What is this project? My avatar gives it away, really. Hopefully I will be able to start on it by the end of the year. Who can say, really? My plans never really survive contact with the enemy (in this case, my own future self), and life never really works out in the way one expects. Whatever happens, this post will at least serve as an interesting artifact for me later on, and possibly provide a few scant seconds of entertainment to whoever reads it.

Right, that's enough 'philosophy' for one post.

With regards to real life, next year I intend to get my programming skills up to professional level at last, and start looking for proper work. That and fix up my damn gaming PC. That machine has given me so much grief over the years, but I love it anyway, and it really needs some help.

2020 has been a odd limbo year, even by my rather unusual standards. 2021, while daunting, holds much potential, for myself and I hope for everyone else here. In the face of uncertainty, I wish my fellow Doomers good luck in the new annum :)

1. Finish and release v2.0 of SGD.
  2. Implement Heretic compatibility for Vandomizer. Maybe also Hexen.
  3. Make a map I've been silently brainstorming since summer.
  4. Participate in as many CPs as time and creative energy permits. Or maybe host one.