• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

Cacowards 2021 Mentionation Thread

6 hours ago, Dodgy Dave said:

Oops All Archviles for Mockaward.

Because why the fuck not.

The Mockaward was retired following the 2017 Cacowards, and the committee doesn't seem interested in bringing it back, so those seem like pretty good reasons.

Thankfully, though, Oops All Archviles is about more than just changing all the enemies to standard archviles, so it does have that going for it, if not for a Mockaward.

21 hours ago, dew said:

Espi award is the one category where we don't like being told who to award. 

Well, then you're the first one saying this since there's been plenty Espi nominations made 

so far here.

21 hours ago, dew said:

Particularly when it's bad takes like this.

6 hours ago, Kyka said:

Honored by the nomination, and honored to be mentioned in the same sentence as Espi. Thank you. Really appreciated.

Why thank you, kind sir(s). 1.0

4 minutes ago, OniriA said:

Well, then you're the first one saying this since there's been plenty Espi nominations made so far here.

Let me explain further then, since many people thought my post was mean... and I guess it was, depending on perspective.

We absolutely read through the thread and take notice of people's opinions. We usually gloss over the bad takes, because it takes no effort to not reply. However there's no other award that's more heartfelt and embraced by the entire cacowards team than the Espi award. We don't really mind people mentioning Espi candidates, but you need to realize there's a virtual waiting list that can pop out names for a decade even if the commitee gets wiped out by a meteor tomorrow. The award started "too late" and we're playing catch-up with a massive backlog of brilliant people the world should recognize. Every year we wish we could also award another person high on the list, but you also don't want to cheapen the effect.

So when a controversial name gets pitched in just because they made a recent dramatic comeback... this gets measured against that virtual waiting list, and I am not as stoic as some of my other colleagues, hence "bad take".

4 minutes ago, dew said:

Let me explain further then, since many people thought my post was mean... and I guess it was, depending on perspective.

We absolutely read through the thread and take notice of people's opinions. We usually gloss over the bad takes, because it takes no effort to not reply. However there's no other award that's more heartfelt and embraced by the entire cacowards team than the Espi award. We don't really mind people mentioning Espi candidates, but you need to realize there's a virtual waiting list that can pop out names for a decade even if the commitee gets wiped out by a meteor tomorrow. The award started "too late" and we're playing catch-up with a massive backlog of brilliant people the world should recognize. Every year we wish we could also award another person high on the list, but you also don't want to cheapen the effect.

So when a controversial name gets pitched in just because they made a recent dramatic comeback... this gets measured against that virtual waiting list, and I am not as stoic as some of my other colleagues, hence "bad take".

dew for Espi award, then!

:D

Just now, P41R47 said:

dew for Espi award, then!

I have literally never done anything worthwhile, ever. Except stabbing people who propose this.

2 minutes ago, dew said:

I have literally never done anything worthwhile, ever. Except stabbing people who propose this.

i have seen you as a playtester on more projects than almost anybody.

So the ongoing nature of the community has your experience and good judgement imprinted on it.
If thats not worthwhile, what is?

And backstab from you could be fun, so i'll take it with pleasure.

;)

On 8/4/2021 at 9:49 AM, dew said:

I have literally never done anything worthwhile, ever.

We're not as quick to write off your many contributions to the speedrunning and playtesting side of the community as you might be, Dew. ;^)

The thing is that people on an award team awarding themselves will always be awkward.

So I fully understand why dew or others would rather not consider the idea. Put yourselves in their shoes: could you give yourself the Best Person Award without feeling like a tremendously vanitous jackass?

Most assuredly, Gez. I was just being a cheeky cunt in this regard, but also wanted to remind Dew that his contributions to the community have value. That being said, I absolutely can sympathise with the awkwardness of the situation and the apprehension.

*Burps*

hey whoa Im going to interrupt this hub-bub with a considerable map by a person who already got the thingy so we can segue it back to mentionationing

"Touhou Doom", a mod focused around multi-staged bossfights, had its final release in late 2020 (does that count?). I had a ton of fun with this total conversion. The author put in a huge amount of work replicating the spell effects from the original games. Levels are usually massive with an insane amount of projectiles to dodge on the higher difficulties. Using the automap to memorize patterns can help, though.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=57817

Edited by Invalid

+1 for Doom but Something's Not Right, an exciting new Megawad where mappers recreated the maps from all 4 episodes of Ultimate Doom from memory. The results are both cursed and fascinating.

man so in my massive ramble/rant post from earlier I talked some shit about my lack of interest in advanced ports and the wads thereof BUT

+++DBK01: Dungeon Synths

is great as you would expect given the talent involved (I don't take anything I said back though). But where's DBK02???????

I'll just make my Mentions of ones I've tried to keep up on by category of 2021:  

vanilla or vanilla-esque Megawads and episodic wads in order of best--

1. Ascent of Titan

2. GMP: Good Morning Phobos-- This was updated this year, but not made in 2021

3. Augur Zenith

4. ARCEON

5. Dragon Sector Remake

6. Doom Cube   !!! Yes it finally exists. Based off the 1997 movie from Scifi channel. Contains over 20 different rooms to get lost and die horrible trappy deaths in and a teleporter randomizer script! See if you can beat this true survival horror that has been doomified! Zdoom family wad and written for zdoom 2.8  https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/addons/doomcube

Gameplay Mods TCs with included maps in no particular order --

1. Meridian-- GZDoom TC

2.  Rowdy Rudy 2-- I believe this one is playable on multiple ports

3. Legend of Doom- The ZELDA 1 TC 

4. Castlevania 3 for Simon's Destiny-- The unofficial addon for Castlevania Simon's Destiny

Mods only-

1. Brutal Freedoom GZD

2.Xim's GZDoom3 for Classic Doom

3. Bitter Heretic (!!!)

Edited by kalensar : updating

+1 Auger;Zenith

Fantastic mod.. Just finished MAP17, which is my favourite so far - fighting Doom monsters on rain soaked streets, exploring futuristic apartments.. Neon signs everywhere.. It's top notch!

note : There were a couple of duff moments.. the horrible 'dream / trip" level was not needed, and the final Icon of sin + crushers + cyberdemon clusterf**k was unpleasant - I had to IDDQD that shiz as life's too short. Otherwise this was really enjoyable!

Edited by ActRaiser

@kraflab already has a mention from me for DSDA-Doom, or for MBF21, but another mention flies out for DSDHacked, with unlimited states support:

I mean, what's not to love? In a single year, we see a new source port and two new standards appear that, atleast on paper, mean a giant step for Doom modding in general for authors targeting Boom-compatible mapsets and Vanilla. MBF21 has seen broad support and its now up to the community to deliver. Kraflab is Krafting (heh) a new legacy on Doom, with the community as his helping hand.

On that note, a sidemention for @Charlie Love and his From Doom With Love (FDWL) project:

Its Crispy Doom for DSDA-Doom, but it having its own name and icon now makes it succinctily a derivative. It builds upon the work of Kraflab and adds its own style to it.

@Gibbon should be mentioned aswell for his ports Pooch and ReBoom. With Pooch:

The WinMBF continues on in a conservative manner. Fabian's Woof seeks to explore new limits, but Pooch is great for those who just want WinMBF for the modern age.

In that same bracket follows ReBoom:

Slightly less conservative, it propels the original PrBoom port from TNT (2.02) to 2021 and beyond providing just like Pooch a basis for those who just want PrBoom for the modern age without too many new additions thrown in.

All this started purely out of a 64 bit update to WinMBF.

PS: I wish i could add in @fabian and especially @rfomin for their work on Woof and Crispy Doom respectively, but both works do not meet the rules. But ill mention them anyway, as Rfomin has been responsible for a lot of leg work on making the new standards introduced in DSDA-Doom possible on other ports.

Lastly, its almost baffling that so many source port authors have come forward this year, equally as it is impressive that there is so much to write about them. 2021 is truly an exceptional year for Doom modding, and a historical year it will be.

The stuff with DSDA doom, MBF21, etc is quite interesting even though I don't know too much stuff about dehacked and stuff like that. The big things being made from it, in seemingly short lengths of time between them are great to see and as mainly a player of maps I'm interested to see what comes of this stuff in the future.

Also Auger Zenith mainly because of the impressive effects and areas and interactables, along with some fun combat too.

Maybe I'll add more if i catch up with everything coming out, but i'd say that's everything I can think of for now.

+Micro Slaughter Community Project (my personal fav of the year)

+Doom 2 in Spain Only

+Lullaby 

+Borgeois Megawad 

+Time Tripper