Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

Cacowards 2021 Mentionation Thread

DBP 37: Auger;Zenith is really incredible in terms of palette, textures, doomcute sector art, and architecture. The fights are pretty good too. Highly recommended for a cacoward.

Rott!Zone is an obvious MP winner this year. (I hope there are multiple awards for DM and Duel wads this year, we’ve seen several excellent packs in 2021 for the OG multiplayer modes in Doom..)

Auger;Zenith takes the cake for me - all the fun details in maps, the consistent aesthetic, nice hud, sprite and sound replacements, good midi choices all across the board - its just a great cohesive experience all around, with an almost DN3D level of immersion that gives a lot of charm to it - its a wad that will surely be remembered for years to come

A Cacoward mention for @Gibbon for multiple reasons:

• For Pooch: Bringing a more conservative WinMBF to the next century.
  •  For ReBoom: Bringing Boom 2.02/PrBoom 2.02 to modern platforms and providing a baseline for Boom compatibility.
  • Sprinkled Doom: Chocolate Doom with raised Doom-plus limits, but not just Doom, also Hexen/Heretic/Strife! Kept in sync with Chocolate Doom development, so this is a great port for those who want Vanilla with a little more oomph, but not make it extra crispy ;) Thus, it is Chocolate with Sprinkles. :)
  • Source Port Builds: Gibbon has been compiled several ports that haven't had a compilable binary, thus providing new works to toy with. Some are clearly unfinished, others exhibit new and unique features worth taking a look.

All in all i see a new member here that has taken up the community by storm. His efforts make him, like Kraflab, like Xttl and like Jval an incredibly valueable member, carrying the torch of legacy to new horizons.

3 minutes ago, Captain Ventris said:

Are commercial projects made with GZDoom up for Cacowards? Or are we keeping it strictly free mods?

Yeah, we have Hedon.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Hedon

Technically, REKKR would count since it has a "remastered" version coming out on Steam using GZDoom. Though this is after it has won a Cacoward and the fact you can run the game in DOS.

The existing precedent is for commercial Doom-engine games to be eligible for the Spaceship of Theseus, rather than one of the standard Cacowards.

(on the other hand, there's an even older precedent for a commercial product to get a regular Cacoward, but that was also part of the Doom franchise)

16 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

The existing precedent is for commercial Doom-engine games to be eligible for the Spaceship of Theseus, rather than one of the standard Cacowards.

(on the other hand, there's an even older precedent for a commercial product to get a regular Cacoward, but that was also part of the Doom franchise)

Yeah, this should probably be clarified in the 'Ship of Theseus Award' this year; the Cacowards are about celebrating the spirit of Doom modding. While there are a lot of incredible Doom-based projects being created today... using Doom to produce a commercial project isn't quite what what I had in mind when we started honoring the community back in 2004. We should probably delineate that the Ship of Theseus is open to commercial products that alter the core Doom experience beyond the confines of "Doom" but that commercial products are not within the spirit of an amateur community celebration.

2 hours ago, Ezepov said:

ENDQUEST - episode for Heretic

It's currently a WIP

But if it DOES release this year, i couldn't second a better mention than that. Only really had one map that i disliked, and the other ones were so phenomenal that i didn't even mind it

+1 AUGER;ZENITH

+1 Tarnsman's Projectile Hell

I can't keep up with this year's projects. There's been so many incredible ones! Good luck to the committee, you guys are gonna need it :P

+1 Combined arms

Honestly surprised more people aren't bringing it up for a caco as it's update this year has easily made it one of the best weapon mods out there in years, while simultaneously adding more content then it had before. Definitely worth the nomination 

EDIT: Can't add the link for some reason, weird 

Edited by Infected Animal : To improve the post and make it more clear to viewers

+Doom 2 in Spain Only. Unironically love the soundtrack, and it's pacing is fantastic. Never overstays it's welcome, and action-packed front to back. Great map set.

On 9/15/2021 at 9:26 AM, LadyMistDragon said:

+1 to SoldSoul. I don't know if it's in its final version, but it is an absolutely fantastic Heretic episode in many ways.

Where can we find this? /idgames Database turns up empty...

Is there any merit in mentioning specific levels in megawads? 

If so, I think Map 17 was the standout from the fab Auger:Zenith.

Fantastically balanced and enjoyable. 

+1 Haste

In a year already filled to the brim with spectacular releases, this is a stand out. Short, punchy maps with no fat, and frequently visually appealing.

Not to be a downer, but have we lost any community members this year? When a prominent member passes away, news travels fast, but I'd hate to miss eulogizing members because they were less well known.

No hard evidence, and not this year, but the OP of this thread is my biggest concern: