Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

Cacowards 2021 Mentionation Thread

13 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I think you meant to post this in "react to the profile picture above you", unless I'm missing something.

Dammit good sir you are certainly correct. On the plus side, I must check out Luminous Gloom now.

19 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

I'd give a point to Auger; Zenith but I still need to play more than 20 minutes, probably not until after I've finished WMC-02(which I believe will be just as celebrated as DBP with time 

Definitely need to play more than 20 minutes, it's a big one with lots of cool stuff inside! Hope you enjoy it.

33 minutes ago, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

Dammit good sir you are certainly correct. On the plus side, I must check out Luminous Gloom now.

Yes! AUGER;ZENITH too!

3 hours ago, OniriA said:

Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony (3) Final

Yeah, can't see that happening.

1 hour ago, Scuba Steve said:

They certainly burned a lot of goodwill, but the mentionation thread doesn't discriminate.

It won't happen for a simple reason. Imagine being in the shoes of someone who has to write an article about it on why it deserves an award, and most likely the fact that the writer will have to address what torm did in it, if they don't they will most likely be questioned why they didn't mention it. If the writer writes too much about the stuff that happened we might as well just resurrect the worst wad award for it. 

Hell, giving it an award, a spot in the runners-up, or mentioning it really in itself would cause controversy.

Maybe what I described isn't so simple if a reason but it does to me.

20 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

Yeah, can't see that happening.

After returning from Constantinople I got to finally finish it all but for some reason couldn't find the thread anymore and surprisingly little mentions, very strange because it's one of the best mods for the Doom engine I've experienced.

It was engaging from start to finish.

I'm surprised something like this isn't for sale considering the amount of quality and work/care showcased here.

I don't think there will be a wad anytime soon (if ever) that would top this quality wise.

4 minutes ago, OniriA said:

I'm surprised something like this isn't for sale

They'd need to license the Wolfenstein franchise from Microsoft. And the soundtrack from Electronic Arts.

3 minutes ago, Gez said:

They'd need to license the Wolfenstein franchise from Microsoft. And the soundtrack from Electronic Arts.

And get permissions for commercial use from all the Wolf3D modders whose graphics they used/edited/upscaled.

Anyway, moving forward. Everyone can put forward their picks, but further discussion will need to be taken elsewhere, please, so judges don't have to sift through a lot of extra conversations. Thanks!

Auger Zenith has to be up there. I'm in sheer awe at how well everything is put together. I have never felt more immersed in a world from a WAD. Might be an all time great for me.

I would mention AUGER;ZENITH but it appears it's been mentioned a few times now, lol.

Well...I guess I have...

On 7/10/2021 at 2:48 AM, matador said:

Definitely need to play more than 20 minutes, it's a big one with lots of cool stuff inside! Hope you enjoy it.

Yes! AUGER;ZENITH too!

Duly noted. Thank you.

+++ Arrival by @Pavera , MIDI's  by AD_79

+++ Cydonia by @Scotty and AD_79

also i know its from a while back but +++ Unhallowed by @CyanoBlugron absolute unit of a map (gorgeous too)

november 30, 2020 release counts towards  2021's cacos right? :P

and im just gonna throw in @AD_79 into the bucket for Creator of the Year for his awesome Arrival OST, great maps in Cydonia, as well as whatever else he might be involved with the remainder of the year. also i'd say hes been a pretty big pillar of the community for the last few years as well, at least from what ive noticed.

I'm dropping in a recommendation for DBK01: Dungeon Synths. They've knocked it out of the park there - lots of fantastic 3D environments, a unique theme and a ton of fun to be had. Plus I learned a thing or two!

Id like to put some love in for RAMP.
An all comers community project that sprouted from seemingly nowhere, but developed a community in and of itself and got 200+ maps (Terawad?  Can we say that yet?) in the span of six weeks.
The resultant maps are what you can expect from an All Comers project, but that just gives off a sense, for better and for otherwise, of the first three CChest projects, only upscaled and technologically advanced for 2021.

Im not saying there are, for sure, standalone maps in here that rival any of the other nominees posted in this thread.  But the sheer amount of submissions and time needed to pore through this makes me really say "there just as well may be"

Regardless, for the sake of doom and the community at large, this needs a nomination.

NOTE:  THE DOWNLOAD LINK IS ON THE PAGE IN OP.  PART OF THE INTRIGUE OF THIS WAD WAS HOW IT WAS CODED SO AS TO HAVE AN IN FLUX BETA AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT

+++ DBP 37 Auger;Zenith

Best wad I've played all year

"But dmdr, you've only played one wad this year", you may well reply

True, but it's also one of the best wads I've played any year. Utter fuckin masterpiece

I know I've already nominated every DBP that comes out this year, and everyone and their mother has been nominating this particular one since it released, but I have to specifically +1 DBP37: Auger-Zenith. If you can only pick one DBP, it's gotta be this. It's absolutely incredible in every aspect and I cannot gush enough about it.