Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

Cacowards 2021 Mentionation Thread

+1 Doom: Damnation

-------------------------

This megawad is absolutely amazing, especially when played with Dox's Brutal Doom. I wasn't sure what Ofisil meant when he said he designed it with gameplay and atmosphere as the main focus, as opposed to purely visual appealing level design. Once I played it myself, it all made sense. Highly recommend giving it a try.

+1 Oops! All Grey Boxes

-----------------------------

This mapset is just awesome. 100% the sh*t. At first, the name didn't draw me in, then I saw it posted in this thread, and yeah, holy crap is it worth playing. The design is genius and the flow of each map is perfect imo. I highly recommend this map, and also highly recommend playing this map with the Hellrider mod by Endie, and the Critical Shots mod by Mikk. Those 3 mods were meant to go together and kind of gives a Hotline Miami feel to the gameplay and visuals.

+1 for Heartland

Seriously some cool stuff. Also, makes you try the Eternity engine. Which is a good thing right? :)

1 hour ago, sapphics said:

+1 for Heartland

Seriously some cool stuff. Also, makes you try the Eternity engine. Which is a good thing right? :)

Agreed. Heartland is epic.

We are having a good year start for wads. My mentions for now:

Heartland

Lullaby

Time Tripper

Micro Slaughter Community Project

DBP33: Rainy Days In Casablanca

+1 for DBP32. Also adding onto the love for Lullaby. I'm liking Time Tripper, but I'm getting some really bad HOM effects that's really detracting from my enjoyment, and idk if it's the levels or something on my end causing them. 

I would like to second the various mentions of @jval on this thread. I have used his PTree extensively and in short succession he has turned out useful tools that reduce the workload of mappers by sometimes hours. Not only that but he usually responds quickly to input from the community and has often inserted updates, bugfixes and new compatibility options within days or even hours from receiving it. Here's an overview since the 10th of December: (and I have probably missed a few ;)).

December 11th: Terrain Generator that creates large landscapes with slopes etc..

February 15th: WAD Painter 

February 21st: Doomtree, an ofshoot of PTree, that doesn't just create the trees but also makes them into sprites and all that jazz, streamlining the process of making your own tree quite a bit (as I can attest to personally :p)
February 27th: DOOMROCK
March 6th (just now): ENDEDIT, an editor for the End Screen in Doom.

Edited by Peccatum Mihzamiz

13 minutes ago, Peccatum Mihzamiz said:

I would like to second the various mentions of @jval on this thread. I have used his PTree extensively and in short succession he has turned out useful tools that reduce the workload of mappers by sometimes hours. Not only that but he usually responds quickly to input from the community and has often inserted updates, bugfixes and new compatibility options within days or even hours from receiving it. Here's and overview since the 10th of December: (and I have probably missed a few ;)).

December 11th: Terrain Generator that creates large landscapes with slopes etc..

February 15th: WAD Painter 

February 21st: Doomtree, an ofshoot of PTree, that doesn't just create the trees but also makes them into sprites and all that jazz, streamlining the process of making your own tree quite a bit (as I can attest to personally :p)
February 27th: DOOMROCK
March 6th (just now): ENDEDIT, an editor for the End Screen in Doom.

I was about to make a repost of my original with all the stuff he has released so far. Both in community and in PM's its nothing but wonderful. Aside seemingly having the ability to pump out new programs at an insane pace, Jval also manages to write programs that not only are fully featured from the get go, but laso have an instantly useful use case, much like how @MTrop's utilities (Another nominee if you ask me!) are.

The single most defining trait however has to be Jim's character. The man is humble to the point where even humble itself would want to ask him to turn it down a notch :P

This has to be nominee at the very least. Jval really is the total package of a Doom community member whose work and the vast variety of it speaks for itself.

PS: Soon: More Jval news in Wadazine.

I had to join just to give a recommendation for Time Tripper! Fantastic! Every level is a surprise. New monsters, altered monsters and imported monsters. I've played this through four time now. Brilliant!

Time Tripper

+1 Lullaby

If there was a 30 years Cacowards top 10 in 2023, it will probably make the top 3. It is so amazing that with me been a more classic-style mapper I doubt I'd have the patience to create something like this. Maybe I'll try my luck at something like this in 2023 and probably fail miserably compared to this.

Considering his many, many contributions to the community since 1993 as a webmaster and programmer who previously maintained (and still helps out in other ways) the idgames archive and his continued, diligent work on the DoomWiki to this very day, I think Xymph should be considered for an Espi Award. Another person I think should also be considered for one is Graf Zahl for his immeasurable contributions to advanced Doom sourceport development for the past 16 years.

Both of them are highly deserving in my humble opinion.

Edited by Biodegradable

Surprised nobody's nominated Doom 2 In Spain Only yet, it's a very unique and solid mapset.

Also: +1 Heartland

Bourgeois Deathmatch, which despite its name, is some of the most fun I've had in a singleplayer WAD in recent memory

Nominating for Mockaward. Yes, I know the Mockaward is dead.

Nevertheless, I think Plutonia 7 carries the spirit of 1998's "Mockery" more than any of the wads that won the award since 2011. It manages to have a creative joke or gimmick to almost every map, parodies various different mapping styles and tropes in the Doom community, and it does so using only Boom features.

If the Mockaward is to stay dead, then the next best option is probably Machaward, because this megawad is not only funny, but also creative. Map11 is a standout example for the creativity in this megawad, and it shows that a lot of effort went into its creation.

+1 Heartland 
+1 Time Tripper 
Easily neck-to-neck in quality, which is a testament to how mind-boggingly talented msx is given its their first WAD

+1 Lullaby

Also, not finding a really fitting thread for this suggestion, but could the 2021 Cacowards be something zombie themed titled "28 years later"? Which also could hint something towards the ending of the infamous "Repercussions of Evil" fanfic.
Of course if the idea already arose and/or is/was overthrown by something greater, feel free to disregard and move on with your day.

+1 Burgeois megawad

+++1 Plutonia 7

I would also love to see either No Rest for the Living midi pack or Master Levels midi pack nominated for the Dootaward.

(if we weren't so early into the year i'd also suggest Peter for creator of the year for sharing such a gargantuan amount of EXTREMELY catchy and fun midis with us and for curating some of the best midis i've ever heard used for the NRFTL midi pack)