Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom-X-Machina

Tunnel vision while working on maps?

Hey all,

So I'm curious... I've realised over the last 2 years (almost... 22 months) since I really started taking mapping seriously and began the Dissension projects that I haven't really played any of the new WAD's that have dropped in that time. Maybe 1 or 2. I don't think it was a concious choice or decision to not check out any of the new stuff people were working on, I think it just happened because I was so focused on my own stuff (and not just mapping, music, band, work, life etc.). Plus with Doom Eternal obviously I devoted a nice chunk of time to that which meant less time playing classic. Now that the 2020 Cacowards have been awarded I was thinking I should probably devote some time to check out some of the great stuff I've missed.

When you're knee-deep in a project, do you still spend time playing other WADs or are you too busy mapping and playtesting your own stuff that you sometimes miss some of the great stuff that's come out in the meantime?

I'm not working on any huge products but I try and make a point of heading to the Wads section and trying something at random whenever I hit a point where I've not got an obvious next step on what I'm working on.

Even if it's only 10 minutes, it's a good way to refresh and find new inspiration.

On 12/12/2020 at 6:55 AM, Doom-X-Machina said:

When you're knee-deep in a project, do you still spend time playing other WADs or are you too busy mapping and playtesting your own stuff that you sometimes miss some of the great stuff that's come out in the meantime?

Being single-minded in pursuing your own work is commendable, and I am guilty of doing that too. However, it's always good to take a break and play someone else's game (or, indeed, doing RL stuff that you enjoy). Another reason to play other peoples' work is that it will likely give you ideas that you could consider implementing into your own mods.