Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Albatross

3030 - my take on a "city map" (Boom+)

Really cool / creative map, and much shorter than I expected. The screenshots instantly reminded me of the ending of Sunlust MAP06.

Anyways, I played in Eternity on HMP. For me the purple section was much, much harder than the rest of the map. Might just be me though. For some reason I especially liked the part with the imps and the cyberdemon.

Couple minor nitpicks... There's an issue with the HUD message text in Eternity. it appears to be palletized incorrectly (or maybe it's being translated? in either case, the HUD text looks kinda gross). Other thing is that I think the holographic-bridge-lightbeam midtextures are from Ancient Aliens, and there should be some additional frames in there to make them animated if you like.

Really cool map, short and punchy. Might record a demo at some point.

Played on UV, and I concur with skillsaw that the purple section was definitely much harder than the rest.

Spoiler

I ultimately just cleared the exit wing of the fight so that I could teleport out, wait for the nobles to clump up on one side and then return to clear the rest.

The yellow area was also pretty tight and had a bit of a random element whether or not all the imps were attacking or not. Then again with high numbers it should statistically even itself out pretty well. Still felt that it was another fight I couldn't quite get consistent with, right after the purple one.

Overall a really fun and cool looking map, will be interested to see the more veteran players giving much better feedback on the harder parts.

Edited by Aurelius

For purple:

Spoiler

Did this a couple times and woke 'em up with a shot right before leaving, and came back to take care of the clump. Doing it normally was a lot harder than the rest, and doesn't even seem possible for some expected load-outs of ammo for getting there, which in a map this supposedly non-linear doesn't feel right. 

I thought the rest of the fights were fine. The two-cyb duel on the S was neat because you have to orient yourself well to not waste too much plasma ammo.

I would raise a small barrier around the dual turret cybs accompanying the pinky mob, right before they get telefragged. They are close enough that you can get stuck in the first cyb while telefragging and get exposed to an unavoidable rocket from the second. 

Just played it, a fun map, and a decent challenge. I really liked the cyberdemon usage in the map, in general, this map focuses almost exclusively on small arenas that limit player movement. Everything is deliberate, and I'm a fan of that style, so I appreciated every encounter. Like has also been noted, the purple area is easily the most challenging, with the hell knights and barons really challenging your space, there is no room for error in this encounter, I feel. Also, one of the frames for the plasma rifle's projectile appears to messed up. Opened it up in SLADE, and this sprite as well as a few others are messed up in the same way.

image.png.5fa92e85a602d9c6d37c5ade6fe02398.png

(the other two being PUFFC0 and APLSB0, the arachnotron's projectile which I also noticed)

Thank you for creating this map! I played it on UV and liked it a lot. Just like the others said: the purple section feels much more difficult than the rest.

It looks beautiful and the fights are nice quick confidence boosters for a Doom n00b like me!

After a 15 minute playthrough I was almost getting some 'Horizontal fatigue': no hight change in the sectors. But with this map length you could just pull it of I guess. Great!

@skillsaw @Aurelius

Yes, the purple area is usually the hardest for me on UV and maybe lazily ticking off a few barons for HMP (like I did) barely makes it any easier. 

Spoiler

I "pull" 1-2 guys toward the center which allows me to clear the rest of the wing quicker and then make a stand there.

@Egg Boy

Fixed. Thank you.

Edited by Albatross

Hey, I always wondered, where do those lights on the buildings come from? I've seen them in Sunlust, Ancient Aliens, a single red one in a Gothic Texture Pack, and here. Where do they come from?

And here's the video. Great looking map that looks fantastic with those neon skyscrapers surrounding you. But the map can be pretty lethal if you don't have some strategies. The baron family got me enough times though...

It was fun.

I just made the second screenshot my desktop background.

yrah.png

This is so is bizarre in a way I cannot describe it. Had a feeling it had Duke Nukem music in it. I think it could do with an original and bizarre song.