Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DOEL

Wanting to make an aesthetic mod that doesn't change mechanics

Question

Similar to Gothic Doom, I want to make a mod that changes sprites and sounds without effecting gameplay, ideally even demo compatible.

I'm thinking things like different SSG sprites, different chaingun firing sound, different imp sprites, different cacodemon fireball sprite, different mastermind sounds, etc.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for tutorials and the tools needed to do this?

4 answers to this question

This is a small tutorial I made for a guy on moddb that asked me the same question, idk if it makes the mod demo-compatible too tho

part1.PNG.a0ef5917b6cfa0fdf8be047e83d75103.PNG

On 12/14/2020 at 2:53 AM, DOEL said:

Similar to Gothic Doom, I want to make a mod that changes sprites and sounds without effecting gameplay, ideally even demo compatible.

I'm thinking things like different SSG sprites, different chaingun firing sound, different imp sprites, different cacodemon fireball sprite, different mastermind sounds, etc.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for tutorials and the tools needed to do this?

You'd want Slade. If you want to replace stuff inside of DOOM 2, you can make a wad and put in some custom sprites, sounds, etc. Make sure these entries have the filename of the file you want to replace. Once you load up the wad, it'll detect the duplicate filename & replace said stuff with the newer file.

Actual example:

Screenshot_1.png.055f9fe0891fd10d864d94ffe902ecfd.png

This is a doom map in SLADE. Inside of the doom map is a .wav file called D_RUNNIN. Since MAP01 uses D_RUNNIN, this wav file will be loaded instead of the default DOOM 2 D_RUNNIN, playing our music.

You'd need some really good talent and a lot of time though, considering your project is quite a bit ambitious. Alternatively, you could try DEHACKED & WhackEd, which is basically the same thing we're doing here. WhackEd lets you see more stuff & view what you're actually replacing inside of DOOM2.WAD

If you aren't creating any new items, you can simply label your replacement sprites with the names in the original DooM/2. This will not require the use of DeHacked or WhackEd. The same goes for sounds and music.

As the 2 members above have indicated, you'll need a utility like SLADE, which is used to manipulate wad entries, such as sprites.