Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Solid SOAP

Do any sourceports allow for gyro controls?

Hey there,

I'm fairly new to the Doom community. I bought Doom 2016 for Switch when it was ported over, and wound up loving it. So when the original 2 games were then released for Switch, I instantly bought them! After playing through both, I'm really starting to realize why they're held up in such high regard. I think I enjoy the classics more than 2016 or Eternal now.

I've decided that I'm ready to indulge in the enjoying Doom on PC, exploring the cavalcade of mods and WADs available.

However, the Switch version spoiled me: I absolutely love using gyro aiming. I can't turn back! Do any source ports allow for it? If not, can I get mods/add-ons up and running on the Steam version, which does support gyro? If so, how? I'd really like to be able to experience the deluge of add-ons available and I'm just not a M&KB player, yet twin sticks doesn't cut it for me either.

tl;dr

Is there any way for me to get gyro controls up and running on a version of the game where I can utilize add-ons?

I don't think so. Most ports might have basic controller support and thats about it. In order to add this feature on a source port you would need proper hardware setup (connect a gyro supported controller to your PC) and been able to use open source or system libraries that support that method of input.

2 minutes ago, MadGuy said:

I don't think so. Most ports might have basic controller support and thats about it. In order to add this feature on a source port you would need proper hardware setup (connect a gyro supported controller to your PC) and been able to use open source or system libraries that support that method of input.

Gotcha.

Does the Steam version natively allow for add-on support? I know that I can play "official" add-ons such as Sigil, but could I play, say, Castlevania: Simon's Destiny, or Brutal Doom via the Steam version?

Just now, Solid SOAP said:

Gotcha.

Does the Steam version natively allow for add-on support? I know that I can play "official" add-ons such as Sigil, but could I play, say, Castlevania: Simon's Destiny, or Brutal Doom via the Steam version?

I guess, but steam input is proprietary library (not open source nor system) and it is not compatible with the most common license most ports are using GPL

11 minutes ago, MadGuy said:

I guess, but steam input is proprietary library (not open source nor system) and it is not compatible with the most common license most ports are using GPL

How will this affect my ability to play mods or add-ons? I've seen many people dismiss using the Unity port to play Doom, but how exactly does it negatively affect my experience of doing so?

11 minutes ago, Solid SOAP said:

How will this affect my ability to play mods or add-ons? I've seen many people dismiss using the Unity port to play Doom, but how exactly does it negatively affect my experience of doing so?

It doesn't. What I said is actually a constrain for source port (gzdoom, DOOM BFA, crispy DOOM etc) which are licensed under GPL. You can still load mods on them but it might be a little bit tricky to use something like steam input in order to have gyro controls on them.

Gyro support may improve for some ports in the nearish future as SDL 2.0.14 has many additions to supported sensors, and that appears to include gyroscopes. This wouldn't apply to GZDoom on Windows but would apply to the vast majority of modern source ports.

Do bear in mind though that this isn't a "Oh yeah just update the SDL2 DLL and it magically works" scenario; reading the gyro sensors would have to be programmed in.

Delta Touch supports gyro controls on Android. Here is an old video:

When it comes to PC you can use a gamepad configurator. For example with my DualShock 3 I can use DS4Windows to use the gyro controls. I haven't tried it but I see it in the settings. You can use it like a "mouse".

13 hours ago, Solid SOAP said:

It's important to note that the Steam version can only really support "Vanilla" add-ons — WADs that are designed for the original Doom, or Doom with Dehacked patches.

Castlevania: Simon's Destiny and Brutal Doom are both add-ons that will not work with the Steam version of Doom. They both require you to use GZDoom instead. (Having Doom installed via Steam is still useful though — if I recall, GZDoom automatically detects if you have Doom installed.)

Hey guys, thanks for your help! 

I fucked messed with DS4 Windows and managed to get the gyro to act as a mouse, but it's a bit too finicky for me. Frankly the dead zones are just working well enough that I don't feel like I need an extra mobility as it is. I'm going through Doom II rn without a hitch!

The touch pad works surprisingly well too. It's very quick and like a mouse pad.

Edited by Solid SOAP