Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snaxalotl

Is there a way to temporarily make a monster passive to the player?

Question

Basically I'm trying to set up an archvile that runs to another room before regaining control and functioning normally, The actor mover and interpolation points are set but when activated it attacks while running away which heavily goes against its normal attack patterns.

I can't find any related properties or functions that let me keep it from attacking while still being able to receive damage. So is there a method to keep it from attacking until its its finished running? (UDMF Format) (ZDOOM ACS Scripting)

2 answers to this question

So I found a way to make this work but it is a giant pain to set up and honestly not very worth it.

Spoiler

Setting the friendly tag makes the monster attack others which goes against the goal here, and setting it as dormant only works if the player doesn't have a way to hurt the enemy

• So what I did was create another actor that is a copy of the target demon only its ability to attack is completely removed with decorate.
  • Once it reaches its destination set an integer variable that equals the demon's current health.
  • Morph the actor into the equivalent that doesn't have attacks removed.
  • Set the actor's health to the variable that was previously set.

Additionally you will need to set a loop that cancels the movement incase the actor dies before it reaches its destination. failing to do this will leave the corpse hilariously dragging across the floor to its destination

So basically don't bother doing this unless someone finds a better way or you absolutely can not find an alternative for some reason.

On 12/14/2020 at 1:30 PM, Snaxalotl said:

Basically I'm trying to set up an archvile that runs to another room before regaining control and functioning normally, The actor mover and interpolation points are set but when activated it attacks while running away which heavily goes against its normal attack patterns.

I can't find any related properties or functions that let me keep it from attacking while still being able to receive damage. So is there a method to keep it from attacking until its its finished running? (UDMF Format) (ZDOOM ACS Scripting)

A quick and dirty way maybe would be to make it FRIENDLY or DORMANT with SetActorFlag, then remove the flag after.