Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wadmodder Shalton

Can anyone find the original source used to create the Rocket Launcher sprites?

Just now, Wadmodder RiderPùdu said:

I theorize that both the Ol' Painless & Roargun silver grey aesthetics were used as reference for the SHAWN textures and the grey switch textures.

Probably not. The SHAWN textures look kind of like brushed metal (which there are probably resources of, and isn't difficult for a skilled artist to just make), while the metallic paint on the toy guns look like the metallic paint on plastic that it is.

I really have no idea what you're trying to prove anymore, all these connections are waaaaaaaay too vague to be interesting. Shiny metal isn't exactly a rare thing in a sci-fi setting, and the gradients on all the metal textures are uniform enough to strongly suggest they've been drawn. There's very little reason to photosource it, and if it was photosourced, they would have photosourced it from an actual metal source rather than a toy painted a shiny silver paint

On 12/16/2020 at 6:07 PM, Wadmodder RiderPùdu said:

It is the same toy gun used by the BFG that was used to create the Rocket Launcher sprites

I'm the guy mentioned above who bought the plastic gun and recreated the BFG sprite. I've wondered about this for a while and had a good try at reconstructing the RL using photos of the toy.

Is the RL based on this toy? My verdict is: Possibly? Can't 100% say for sure though.

You can actually get something pretty close by collaging a couple of photos of the barrel from different angles together:

942907615_roargunrocketlauncher.png.d76c7ce964f6dba8057f738c9a876892.png

I mean... it's pretty close? Bear in mind that I'm never going to find the exact same angles, camera lens and lighting arrangement to make it look 100% perfect, even if this is correct.

So was this how Adrian Carmack did it? Or have I just frankensteined something unrelated into looking a bit like the RL? It's really hard to say for sure.

1 hour ago, Nootrac4571 said:

So was this how Adrian Carmack did it? Or have I just frankensteined something unrelated into looking a bit like the RL? It's really hard to say for sure.

It is a very cool experiment though.

Wonder if a "Sprites and Textures the Way id Did" photobash project would have a chance of getting anywhere...

17 hours ago, Wadmodder RiderPùdu said:

We all probably know that the textures from Wolfenstein 3D & Spear of Destiny were simply palette swaps or recycled assets of each other.

All these textures have a light and a dark version for the purpose of fake contrast.

15 hours ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Because a lot of the tech textures you see in Doom and Doom 2 were made from the detailing on the Creatoy Roargun toy, and to a lesser extent the Ol' Painless toy.

Yeah, and here we have the massive, colossal, gigantic difference between these toys and the Dakota shotgun: greebling. The molding of the Roargun and Ol' Painless is full of extraneous little details that imitate various tech nonsense (pipes, tanks, valves, knobs, etc.). The Dakota shotgun has smooth plastic and some sort of crosshatching pattern. That crosshatching pattern is used in exactly zero (0) textures, and it's far too easy to claim that every smooth texture took its smoothness from the smooth parts of the shotgun. Too easy, and also demonstrably wrong, since the plastic color has subtle changes here and there that give it a slightly blotchy look that you can't find in any Doom texture.

The Rambo gun is slightly more interesting visually, but it seems to offer mostly series of parallel lines. And the Roargun already provides those anyway.

3 hours ago, Nootrac4571 said:

I'm the guy mentioned above who bought the plastic gun and recreated the BFG sprite. I've wondered about this for a while and had a good try at reconstructing the RL using photos of the toy.

Is the RL based on this toy? My verdict is: Possibly? Can't 100% say for sure though.

You can actually get something pretty close by collaging a couple of photos of the barrel from different angles together:

942907615_roargunrocketlauncher.png.d76c7ce964f6dba8057f738c9a876892.png

I mean... it's pretty close? Bear in mind that I'm never going to find the exact same angles, camera lens and lighting arrangement to make it look 100% perfect, even if this is correct.

Man, I never thought to flip it over, but that's actually kind of genius of that's what they did, more, it's a pretty clever spotting on your part.

1 hour ago, wrkq said:

It is a very cool experiment though.

Wonder if a "Sprites and Textures the Way id Did" photobash project would have a chance of getting anywhere...

I'd certainly be interested.

The Dakota shotgun has smooth plastic and some sort of crosshatching pattern. That crosshatching pattern is used in exactly zero (0) textures, and it's far too easy to claim that every smooth texture took its smoothness from the smooth parts of the shotgun. Too easy, and also demonstrably wrong, since the plastic color has subtle changes here and there that give it a slightly blotchy look that you can't find in any Doom texture.

I should clarify that I never agreed with WadmodderRiderPùdu that the shotgun was used to create any textures (I don't think it was), I was just explaining where he may get that idea, since Adrian and Kevin used those other toy guns to create many of the textures.

I would however be interested in hearing from Adrian and Kevin on their opinion on if the Rocket Launcher was photobashed from the Roargun's barrels, because it sure looks close enough that I think the chance isn't zero. Mind, Romero wasn't doing any of the art assets, and memory can be suggestible and fallible, he's flubbed a bit on that before.

For example, the big green marble wall relief which depicts the Arch-Vile, which you could see used in Doom 1, and which people weren't entirely sure if it was or not at the time (mind, the face on Archie's sprites themselves look more skeletal than anything else), when asked, Romero had described them as being "an unused monster, the evil healer." This would be clarified with time; a lot of the new monsters in Doom 2 already having had their models made back during Doom 1's development, but shelved and then finished with Doom 2, he wasn't even incorrect in the statement he made, but he didn't make it fully clear, or at the time didn't remember it fully.

Romero has also disagreed on the subject of design with Adrian before, Romero says he envisioned the Shambler from Quake as having a pale skin, but Adrian said it was supposed to be white fur, so they may not have always have had the clearest communication.

Edited by ChopBlock223 : Don't wanna make more posts, also don't know how to properly add quotes to an existing post.