Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KennyJC

How did you come accross doom?

Im sure this has been asked before.

I first came accross doom in june of 1995, it took me about 20 minutes to finish the first map of doom2 with the cheats on. I was addicted, I only got the chance to play it once a week at my uncles house. This is why I HAD to get a PC (which i did that christmas). Sometimes, I was treated to the luxury of my brother bringing his pc over to my uncles and we could deathmatch via a serial cable, I was totally hooked and started making up doom levels on paper and promising to design them one day.

There was a post here about most disliked doom map, I find it hard to dislike any of them because of the nostalgia and memories that comes with playing them through the years :)

I lost the summer of 1995 to doom2. When the sun was out, I'd be inside killing imps and running away from cyberdemons!

I bought the shareware episode a few weeks after it came out. Chainsawing imps to death felt so natural...

I was watching as my big brother and his friend (in somewhere late 93) were playing doom. And I fell in love.

Friend : dude, you have to see this game!
Me : what?
Friend : its called Ultimate Doom!
Me : uh, ok
Friend : blah blah blah blah
Me : this fucking rocks!

I didn't have a computer at the time, the first copy of Doom I played was for the SNES, then I got a computer and then got Doom. One day while in Wal-Mart I got Doom II for $10. Then a few months later I got Final Doom in a bargin bin for $8.

I remember my friend showed me, he had the shareware. but I didn't get to play because he was trying to get the cheats to work but couldn't.

then I rented doom64, couldn't get passed level 4.. :(
then when I found cheats for it, I rented it again, and played with cheating, this gave me enough skill to try it without cheating, then I simply owned at the game.
Then my friend got a new computer, and the person he got it from put doom2 and tnt, plutonia on it. and I played through tnt (or doom 2) without cheating.
and, yeah. I gradually fell in love with doom64, and hexen.

This is all cause of my thread huh? We got a new 486 (first pc we had) back in whenever, I think 92 or 93, and the guy who set it up for us installed Doom 2 on there. And so it began...

I first came across Doom in a computer shop. Luckily the keyboard was plugged in, and so I played it non stop for the next hour or so. Back then I was totally crap at FPS games and so got totally slaughtered most of the time. But I totally loved it.

My younger brother, um, bought the shareware disks at the supermarket for like $3, or something. Don't know if this was '94 or '95.

Once upon a time, there was this kid called dsm (not his real name mind you) who was a total Wolfenstein 3d geek. His older brother found it amusing how the geek could sit for hours on end and play this Nazi shooter. One day the brother came to visit the rest of the family and then he told dsm about a brand new game called...
*drumroll*

DOOM

The brother went on and on about how badass this game was and how it was far superior to dsm's all-time favorite game, yet dsm was still a little sceptical. "Monsters, huh"?
A little less than a month later dsm was invited over at his brother's place and there not only saw the fabled Doom but also played it for hours. The game was absolutely beyond fantastic - it had all the cool stuff that Wolf3d had and tons MORE. On top of that the game world seemed so REAL that the immersion factor was absolutely top notch.
Then dsm went home and dreamed of playing Doom on his own computer, yet it would take several months before the young geek would get his wish fulfilled as the computer at his home was very limited in the way of hardware.

A classmate of mine once invited me to play a game on his network (I think it was march or april of '94). I said yes, expecting to play something like battleships for several hours. Imagine my surprise (and gaping mouth) when I saw this game, that looked like the Wolfenstein 3D games, only better quality, better gameplay and I could actually kick his virtual ass! I think we played from the time we got from school until it was time to go again -the next day.

Not much later, I purchased my first copy of DooM.

Curious. How many people here, still have the Ultimate Doom poster? I`ve still got it on the back of my door to my room. Plus a magazine mini-poster, of the same image with the words "Want to have an exciting summer? Try going to Hell."

Lines like that you never forget.

When I lived with my grandparents for a year or so, my grandmother used to buy random computer games. One of which was Wolfenstein, which I played all the time and rejoyced when I beat it on the easiest skill level.

But one day she brought home Ultimate Doom, and was concerned about the blood in the game, but I played it anyway. That was so long ago and I was quite a bit younger then, so I can't recall my exact reaction. But I do remember not wanting to play it after dark because I was afraid to have nightmares of the gruesome and evil monsters. I of course didn't tell my grandmother about how much it scared me at the time. =)

I showed the game to my dad at one point and he played it. It took him a week to beat the Cyberdemon. It took me probably just as long. At the time, the Cyberdemon was a real challenge. Now people put five or six in each level and it's no big deal.

My 'phone: Ring Ring.

Me: Hello.

My Friend: It's out, I've got it.

Me: I'll be right round.

:-)

My brother let me play it all the time - I must have been young back in the ol'93... hmm, lemme see - I'm 17 now so (counting with fingers) - 8 years of age - holy crap! I don't even recall being 8...

Many years ago, when I was in Middle School, I would see people huddled up in groups outside the cafeteria after lunch or before school started. I would only overhear bits and peices of their conversation, and it always happened to be about a game that I had never heard of before. Doom. I used to listen to these tales in awe... could such a great game really exist? Up till that point I had only played my NES and Atari... and the only games I had played on a computer were the ones in the school's computer lab. It didn't seem possible that such a game could exist. Maybe a year and a half later, a friend of mine loaded up Doom 2 on his computer and showed it to me. From that point on I was in love. When my family was finally able to get a computer, the first thing I did was go out and get the shareware of Doom, which was on a CD at the time. A few months later I bought Ultimate Doom, and the rest is history.

icemann said:
How many people here still have the Ultimate Doom poster?

I do :) It's gotten a little ragged over the years, but it still serves it's purpose. I also have the Master Levels poster (the one with the twisted skulls and flesh), and a Doom64 poster that came with an EGM magazine a few years ago.

I found a good use for my game boxes also. I pushed tacks from the inside through the back of the box into the wall, making a sort of 3D poster. I used to have a stack of game boxes to the ceiling, but now it's just Ultimate Doom, Doom2, and Hexen.

Saw a review in PC Format in '93 and sent off for the game by Mail Order.
And waited.
And waited.
4 weeks later i'd already played and completed my friends copy that he lent me to play via my trusty old 386DX 40mhz. Turns out the MO company had gone bust and i had no chance of a refund. Finally got my own copy, err, a year ago.

You can thank my dad for intro'ing me to Doom. THis was when it first came out. :)

I first saw Doom at a friend's house (didn't we all ?) and I remember thinking the blue floor at the start of E1M1 was water at first. Then in 1996 I played the shareware episode on my first PC (teh Mighty Pentium 100 Hotbox with 8MB RAM) and was instantly hooked. A few months later I bought Ultimate Doom and Doom ][.

When my family got its first PC back in 1993, it came with a shareware collection that included shareware Doom.

Im sure this has been asked before.

Like a bazillion times.

I came across it when I was 5-ish. Some older kid I visited a lot had it on his computer, it scared the shit out me. I wouldn't even look at the screen to let him show me a spectre.

First I played Doom at my cousin's house back in 97. Then I downloaded myself a copy of Doom shareware a year later. Then In '99 (or was it 2000?) I bought Doom2. Finally, last year in November, I bought Doom collector's edition!

lets see... '94, went to a friends house, played wolfy alot, friend told me about a game even better then old wolfy, played it, got scared by it, cheated the hell out of it, felt better. Didn’t touch it for a few years, finally finished SW without cheating, got hooked. Traded a box full of demo disks for the full version of UDoom '97, played it till the wee hours of the morning. Rejoiced, managed to get doom 2 and final doom a little while later. Also got Doom and Final Doom PSX as well as Doom 64. Rejoiced.

that's pretty much every thing worth while that has happend to me over the years... oh well.

Lizardcommando said:

First I played Doom at my cousin's house back in 97. Then I downloaded myself a copy of Doom shareware a year later. Then In '99 (or was it 2000?) I bought Doom2. Finally, last year in November, I bought Doom collector's edition!

i got the collectors edition too, then gave it to a 'friend', he said he'd give me it back, but I never saw it again :(

icemann said:

Curious. How many people here, still have the Ultimate Doom poster?

I still have mine! I can't remember how long ago I got it, but it's been on the wall for a while now. It's torn and ragged now, but still alive.

Rented the SNES version a couple times, I guess in 94. Got a PC less than a year later and picked up Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and a $5 add-on CD the same day at the same store (and this was shortly after UD's release). I saw the add-on CD and thought, "Holy shit you can make your own levels?!" Realized the SNES version sucked and I was making levels without errors within 6 months, not good levels but no errors. I got Final Doom the day it came out and I still have my UD and Master levels posters, plus an SNES one of just the Doom logo. Just unfolded them a few times to look at. The ML one tore a bit at the folds while doing so even though I was careful. One of my cats freaking puked on my Final Doom manual though. So I typed up this from it. I still have the manual though. It cleaned up pretty well.

Sigh. I was reading usenet newsgroups via a BBS back the the day, waited and waited for it to come out, eventually forgot about it 'til they had the shareware running on a Tandy Sensation! at my local radio shack, was awed, immediately ran home and ordered the commercial version. Blah. Didn't play Doom 2 at all until I finally got back into Doom four or so years ago.