Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dweller Dark

What other "Doom-like" games are out there?

I know about Heretic, Hexen, Wolfenstein, and Quake, but I'm looking for other games that were made like Doom was and I can't think of any that I remember.

I recommend you the game Blood, yeah that's literally the game's name, I also recommend you Duke Nukem 3D, also, play Half-Life 1 Deathmatch, you can also play the HL1 campaign but I'm just a huge fan of the Deathmatch mode. And I also wanna recommend you the game Star Wars battlefront from 2004 and Star Wars battlefront II from 2006. Also, you should play the game Toxikk, that's another take on Arena FPS games, it's more for multiplayer tho. For multiplayer I also recommend you Halo, Unreal tournament 2004 and Warfork.

By the way, I forgot to mention you should try out some Doom mods for GZDoom if you basically want more Doom. I recommend you the mod Project Brutality for GZDoom. It feels a lot different, but it's still a lot like Doom and it's really intense. It's on the level of Doom Eternal-intense... and it's just absolutely great. Just remember to use freelook. I know it's not quite another different game but since it feels so utterly different, I felt like this one deserved itself a mention.

Duke Nukem 3D and the other Build games were clearly taking a page out of Doom’s book, they may be of interest to you. Despite not being blood relatives, no game feels more similar to Doom than Duke3D to me personally.

Edit: Ninja’d!

Just now, Doomkid said:

Duke Nukem 3D and the other Build games were clearly taking a page out of Doom’s book, they may be of interest to you. Despite not being blood relatives, no game feels more similar to Doom than Duke3D to me personally. 

Edit: Ninja’d!

Yeah, exactly, or also Blood is quite awesome! It's just kinda more dark and spooky and it kinda feels like Doom Halloween Edition but that's why it's so great to me, TBH.

27 minutes ago, 0o0[ULTIM4TE]L1FE[F0RM]0o0 said:

I recommend you the game Blood, yeah that's literally the game's name, I also recommend you Duke Nukem 3D, also, play Half-Life 1 Deathmatch, you can also play the HL1 campaign but I'm just a huge fan of the Deathmatch mode. And I also wanna recommend you the game Star Wars battlefront from 2004 and Star Wars battlefront II from 2006. Also, you should play the game Toxikk, that's another take on Arena FPS games, it's more for multiplayer tho. For multiplayer I also recommend you Halo, Unreal tournament 2004 and Warfork.

By the way, I forgot to mention you should try out some Doom mods for GZDoom if you basically want more Doom. I recommend you the mod Project Brutality for GZDoom. It feels a lot different, but it's still a lot like Doom and it's really intense. It's on the level of Doom Eternal-intense... and it's just absolutely great. Just remember to use freelook. I know it's not quite another different game but since it feels so utterly different, I felt like this one deserved itself a mention.

Where do I find Blood? 

Edit: I found it, it's Blood: Fresh Supply.

23 minutes ago, Nootrac4571 said:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1010750/Blood_Fresh_Supply/

If you're looking for other games from the same era as Doom with similar technology and similar 90s gameplay, then I can suggest:

Rise of the Triad

Shadowcaster

Duke Nukem 3D

Dark Forces

Outlaws

Redneck Rampage

Shadow Warrior

Quarantine

I couldn't find Quarantine or Shadowcaster, but I'm thinking about getting the Hexen/Heretic collection and Dark Forces when I'm able to.

Honestly, I don't find many games capture what I like about Doom. I guess what is and isn't doom-like is dependent on the person. Nothing really has that level of abstraction or simplicity, since everything tries to improve upon doom, rather than be like it. This is usually done by making visuals more realistic and adding features like jumping, swimming, jetpacks, etc. So imo not much is truly like Doom. I find it special, even among games from its era. Though, I guess that might be a bit pretentious haha maybe try Prodeus, that seems to be taking more than a few pages out of Doom's playbook.

+1 for Blood. It's in my top 3 favorite shooters ever

Don't forget the incredible Death Wish DLC

Its criminal how underrated Blood is.

Chexquest is, quite literally, a Doom clone with a cereal-themed coat of paint. Also free.

Also Doom 64 was just officially released for PC

Serious Sam (even the modern titles) shares some gameplay principles with Doom, particularly with slaughter PWADs. The atmosphere is different though and there is less map complexity.

2 hours ago, Gerolf said:

Depth Dwellers

You monster.

17 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

Its criminal how underrated Blood is.

Blood may not have had the same impact as Doom and Quake but i would not call it underrated.  Pretty much everyone loves it when they mention it these days.

Hedon is a gzdoom standalone game. i played the demo and the shareware version and it was pretty awesome. Ion Fury is a cool game made on the same (modified) engine as duke3d and Blood. i hope this thread persists

If your gonna get Blood, try finding if the Whole Unit pack's still out instead. Fresh Supply doesn't really encapsulate "Blood", it's loaded with inaccuracies and errors, but as a new player you may not notice them at first. Plus it's no longer being updated... Either way Fresh Supply does come with the original files, so from there you can play thru dosbox (if you want the full sado-masochist experience), or use a fan sourceport.

If your looking for "Doom Clones", or at least games very similar to DOOM but aren't the obvious mentions, then I suggest these as follows:
Dark Forces (Star Wars)
Descent (I & II)
Redneck Rampage
Outlaws (Lucasfilms)
Powerslave (1996)
Quiver
&
Ion Fury

GZdoom has plenty of great standalone mods. There's a Castlevania TC, Goldensouls 1 & 2, Adventure of Square, etc... to name a few.

Hopefully you find what your looking for! Have fun.

So, I've decided to get the Heretic/Hexen bundle for now, but what should I know about those games? Do I need sourceports for them or anything?

Oh shit I forgot to mention Blake Stone and Rise of the Triad! Their alright fun but lean on Wolfenstein more so then DOOM(^∀^)ゞ

You don’t need source ports if you don’t want them, but source ports may make the game more enjoyable for you in the long run. 

Just now, Gerolf said:

You don’t need source ports if you don’t want them, but source ports may make the game more enjoyable for you in the long run. 

What makes the sourceports more enjoyable? More options, like GZDoom?

1 minute ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

So, I've decided to get the Heretic/Hexen bundle for now, but what should I know about those games? Do I need sourceports for them or anything?

You can use Zandronum, or any other you fancy. A quick google search should help ya. Here's the link to Zandronum tho and Zdaemon if you want a mulltiplayer focused port. Ofc this doesn't begin to scratch the surface, I suggest you look into it yourself if ya have the time.

Zandronum:
https://zandronum.com/

ZDaemon:

https://www.zdaemon.org/?CMD=downloads

More options. Better customization over the controls being the big thing when it comes to Heretic and Hexen, in my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, Zillah said:

You can use Zandronum, or any other you fancy. A quick google search should help ya. Here's the link to Zandronum tho and Zdaemon if you want a mulltiplayer focused port. Ofc this doesn't begin to scratch the surface, I suggest you look into it yourself if ya have the time.

Zandronum:
https://zandronum.com/

ZDaemon:

https://www.zdaemon.org/?CMD=downloads

I'm gonna use GZDoom for the Hexen/Heretic games and whatever standalone mods I can find, but thanks for the recommendations.

If you want to have as close to the original experience through a source port, the main thing to remember is Heretic doesn’t have jumping or crouching by default. Hexen has jumping, but not crouching. If you jump and crouch in Heretic, there are places where you can essentially cheat the game by skipping areas, and crouching can put you into areas you were never meant to explore. Hexen was designed with jumping in mind. Both games allowed the player to look up and down, so mouse look is often preferred over the keyboard control for looking up and down. The rest of your settings can be whatever you’d like for the most part, and of course, if you really want to jump and crouch in these games even if the DOS version didn’t have that behavior, that is your choice. 

2 minutes ago, Gerolf said:

If you want to have as close to the original experience through a source port, the main thing to remember is Heretic doesn’t have jumping or crouching by default. Hexen has jumping, but not crouching. If you jump and crouch in Heretic, there are places where you can essentially cheat the game by skipping areas, and crouching can put you into areas you were never meant to explore. Hexen was designed with jumping in mind. Both games allowed the player to look up and down, so mouse look is often preferred over the keyboard control for looking up and down. The rest of your settings can be whatever you’d like for the most part, and of course, if you really want to jump and crouch in these games even if the DOS version didn’t have that behavior, that is your choice. 

Alright, I'll probably turn off the settings that enable crouch and jump depending on if it's Hexen or Heretic, just to get a feel for how the original game is.

Build engine games like Ion Fury, Blood, Duke3D and Shadow Warrior should be right up your alley as well as games like Dusk, Amid Evil and Wrath: Aeon of Ruin. Also recommend to keep an eye at upcoming games like Graven, Prodeus, Viscrafest and Selaco.