Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
forgettable pyromaniac

GZDoom Buildler hates the FATSO

not really anything special, just kinda wanted to share this dumb thing that happened in GZDoom Builder.
It works fine but I geuss GZDB just doesn't like this rotational sprite (I haven't edited anything, and all other sprites work fine within the builder lmao)

Spoiler

Also slight level reveal.

missing.png

bruh.png

Btw if you're using GZDoomBuilder, you should really upgrade to Ultimate Doom Builder, which is the fork that's currently being maintained. 

5 hours ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

doesn't run, see this thread.

Ah that's right, I remember that thread. Incidentally I find it an interesting choice of words to say "doesn't run" rather than "I can't run it".  

34 minutes ago, Bauul said:

Incidentally I find it an interesting choice of words to say "doesn't run" rather than "I can't run it".  

guess my brain is weird for typing it like that

(=;ェ;=)

On 12/19/2020 at 12:02 PM, Bauul said:

Btw if you're using GZDoomBuilder, you should really upgrade to Ultimate Doom Builder, which is the fork that's currently being maintained. 

I wish people would stop immediately saying this as the first suggestion to problems with older editors. Instead, offer some help or suggestions on how to fix the real problem the poster is having.

It's like telling someone who got a flat tire on an older 90s car to buy a whole new modern car instead of just explaining how to fix a flat, simply because the modern car is better.

@forgettablepyromaniac You mean this rotation?

image.png.04a8de9518310be22915283bc08e2872.png

Well it's not DBX that's the problem (Works For Me™). However the first thing that seems apparent to me, the sprite is 63x68. I suspect given your legacy GPU and the lack of modern supported drivers, that it may not support textures with odd dimensions properly, and DBX likely has no automated solution either. That's about the best anybody could guess without having your PC physically on hand.

6 hours ago, Edward850 said:

@forgettablepyromaniac You mean this rotation?

yep

6 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Well it's not DBX that's the problem (Works For Me™). However the first thing that seems apparent to me, the sprite is 63x68. I suspect given your legacy GPU and the lack of modern supported drivers, that it may not support textures with odd dimensions properly, and DBX likely has no automated solution either. That's about the best anybody could guess without having your PC physically on hand.

Yeah, Every time I open up GZDB, some other sprite gets ocasionally messed up and I really dunno why :p

normal.png

There arn't any right now, but :p

14 hours ago, Nevander said:

I wish people would stop immediately saying this as the first suggestion to problems with older editors. Instead, offer some help or suggestions on how to fix the real problem the poster is having.

It's like telling someone who got a flat tire on an older 90s car to buy a whole new modern car instead of just explaining how to fix a flat, simply because the modern car is better.

I do see your point. My counter argument is two fold:

1) Ultimate Doom Builder is GZDoom Builder, just with continued updates. It only got renamed because the lead developers changed. It's not a new car, it's the same car that's had a few new parts under the hood and some continued maintenance. It's essentially saying the same thing as "have you tried updating to the latest version?". 

2) While it could be an error on the user's side, it could also be a problem with the editor itself. If it is an error with the editor, it may well have been fixed in a later version. If the OP was able to update to the latest version and still was having the issue, then we know it isn't something that was fixed in the past few years. Also, that way the current devs are much more likely to be able to dig into the code and find out if it's an error on the editor side. 

I appreciate the OP can't run the latest version of Ultimate/GZDoom/BugFix Doom Builder, but at least asking if they're able to use the latest build is not an unreasonable suggestion.

20 hours ago, Bauul said:

I appreciate the OP can't run the latest version of Ultimate/GZDoom/BugFix Doom Builder, but at least asking if they're able to use the latest build is not an unreasonable suggestion.

'tis fair, just sent you the forum that I explained why i can't run it in instead of retyping everything out.

On 12/21/2020 at 9:11 PM, Bauul said:

1) Ultimate Doom Builder is GZDoom Builder, just with continued updates. 

With the important difference that it's converted from DirectX (using the dead SlimDX wrapper) to OpenGL.

So some legacy chips on which DB2/DBX/GZDB/GZDBBF did work can't handle UDB at all.

On 12/21/2020 at 12:01 AM, Nevander said:

To be fair- there's a difference between buying an entire car and just downloading a new version of the software

I mean I haven't done that yet either because I can't be bothered, bit still. Not exactly a fair comparison.