Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marn

Some more Doom 4 stuff got leaked

Recommended Posts

Not all of this is new, but a significant chunk of it is:

 

 

This is a pretty strong reversal of my opinion several years ago but honestly, even though all indications point to Doom 4 objectively not working well as a video game, am I the only one that finds the overall style strangely compelling?

 

Call it generic all you want, there's an underlying sinister quality to it that I don't think I've ever seen in a video game before. I'd love to see the vision here realized some day, but as something that plays less like Call of Duty and more like Half Life.

Edited by Marn

Share this post


Link to post

I agree with everything you're saying, I'm extremely intrigued by the original Doom 4. In some ways it kind of reminds me of FEAR, which is funny since that game was really inspired by Doom 3. Either way, I think its an interesting part of Doom history, and it had a lot of potential, even if I think we ultimately got the better game.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/20/2020 at 10:45 PM, Egg Boy said:

I agree with everything you're saying, I'm extremely intrigued by the original Doom 4. In some ways it kind of reminds me of FEAR, which is funny since that game was really inspired by Doom 3. Either way, I think its an interesting part of Doom history, and it had a lot of potential, even if I think we ultimately got the better game.

This new footage really gives me Project Origin vibes, with all that nifty lighting technology. At least I'm glad Id tried to experiment around with all of that, even though it wasn't the game we fans wanted. Taking inspiration from other games is all good, but in the end, this is DOOM. It is its own inspiration.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm glad this hasn't become the new Doom^^

 

Seems like they could reuse the Animations they had.

They're great.

 

Chainsaw has Cross  Guards like in the end product :)

Share this post


Link to post

Could've been an interesting take on Doom during the PS3/X360 era, restarting it gave us Doom 2016 so they definitely made the right call there. However I do like the more horror-esque design of the prototype as well.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, sluggard said:

Could've been an interesting take on Doom during the PS3/X360 era, restarting it gave us Doom 2016 so they definitely made the right call there. However I do like the more horror-esque design of the prototype as well.

 

Yep, interesting.

But i think that story and how it is telled, also style and gameplay wise it would have been to generic.

Nothing that stands out of the Mass.

Stories like these exists in other Games/Movies, only told with Aliens, and the overall Graphics Style has nothing that makes you remembering it.

It is like Warcraft 3, the Style stands out of the Mass and it stands the Test of Time.

 

So, i would like to play it but i'm Glad it isn't what we have got haha

Share this post


Link to post

As a DOOM fan, I am always up to uncover more of this cancelled DOOM game. Especially my need of wanting to try all of their project builds.

Share this post


Link to post

The content is definitely interesting. I think it would be nice to see Doom Eternal DLC based on and around a pocket of human resistance, with the main character not being super powered. This would allow it to be more of a horror game with even the low level demons being more of a challenge. You could also scale back their abilities somewhat as well with the argument being Hell sent it's most elite after the Slayer and left the rank and file for the other humans. It would make for a nice change of pace and allow for a revisit to some of these shelved ideas which I think have merit - even if they are not a "true" Doom game.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Murdoch said:

The content is definitely interesting. I think it would be nice to see Doom Eternal DLC based on and around a pocket of human resistance, with the main character not being super powered. This would allow it to be more of a horror game with even the low level demons being more of a challenge. You could also scale back their abilities somewhat as well with the argument being Hell sent it's most elite after the Slayer and left the rank and file for the other humans. It would make for a nice change of pace and allow for a revisit to some of these shelved ideas which I think have merit - even if they are not a "true" Doom game.

   As a DOOM/id fan, I expect to see and know more about its original intentions than making it canon to the new DOOM games. A DOOM game is all about shooting demons and the cancelled project doesn't seem to deviate away from there. I honestly don't mind about those modern features that made it generic (at the time) as long as it sticks to the "hellish invasion" formula.

   I always wondered what happened to the story scripts written by the novelist Graham Joyce after his death. It is unknown what happened to his work from this version of the game and it is likely to never surface.

Share this post


Link to post

Damn, I want this game to be complete and real so badly.  I wouldn't rather have it than 2016 but I'd definitely rather have it than Eternal; it looks like it would have had most of the good hell-on-earth aesthetics of Eternal without the cringe.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/27/2020 at 6:23 PM, jerrysheppy said:

Damn, I want this game to be complete and real so badly.  I wouldn't rather have it than 2016 but I'd definitely rather have it than Eternal; it looks like it would have had most of the good hell-on-earth aesthetics of Eternal without the cringe.

I'd love this as a Doom 3 sequel!

Share this post


Link to post

Seeing this, and being currently in the middle of a very enjoyable play of Titanfall 2, makes me -really- hope they will someday revisit this concept. I've said in the Eternal threads that I love the mechanics of what we ended up getting, but wish for a grittier world. I can't help but feel like Titanfall 2 in some way proves that such is in theory possible (it has a lot of focus on fast movement while still being fairly serious about its own premise).

 

Doubt we will see such, but certainly the notion is intriguing. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/21/2021 at 6:20 PM, Taurus Daggerknight said:

 I can't help but feel like Titanfall 2 in some way proves that such is in theory possible (it has a lot of focus on fast movement while still being fairly serious about its own premise).

 

 

Titanfall 2 tries to be so serious and epic with the music and everything that it made me laugh. Like, this is just a simple videogame with mechs and walljumps not a breathtaking heroic story like lotr or something.

 

There are games with really good atmosphere and perfect story telling, the best examples I can think of are half-life 2 and doom 2016. So, everything Id needs to do for their next game is to combine 2016's grittier more serious atmopshere and story telling with fast movement and gameplay of eternal, Quake reboot would be PERFECT  opportunity for that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/24/2021 at 11:15 AM, Stoltzmann said:

 

Titanfall 2 tries to be so serious and epic with the music and everything that it made me laugh. Like, this is just a simple videogame with mechs and walljumps not a breathtaking heroic story like lotr or something.

 

There are games with really good atmosphere and perfect story telling, the best examples I can think of are half-life 2 and doom 2016. So, everything Id needs to do for their next game is to combine 2016's grittier more serious atmopshere and story telling with fast movement and gameplay of eternal, Quake reboot would be PERFECT  opportunity for that.

 

 

 

HL2 has just as many over-the-top things as something like Titanfall (both gravity gun phases, lamar, Gregory...). Besides which, I wouldn't say that having mechs or near-super powers is in and of itself a disqualifying factor for whether a game can be taken "seriously" or not, plot wise. If that was, well.... pretty much the majority of sci-fi stuff is out the window. 

 

Not that I think Titanfall 2 has the greatest story ever, mind. It was mostly fun for me for what it was. 

 

....and really, I would absolutely not put Doom 2016 as a game with perfect story-telling, as much as its attitude fit the bill. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×