Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Most overdone/played-out Doom arguments?

Most overdone/played-out Doom arguments?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Which arguments are you the MOST tired of?

• Arguments about Brutal Doom
    • Arguments about slaughtermaps
    • Arguments about which source port is the best
    • Arguments about GZDoom / Graf in general
    • Arguments about whether or not Doom is 3D
    • Arguments about which stock maps are best/worst
    • Arguments not related to Doom shitting up Doom sites/boards
    • Arguments about what is or isn't "truly Doomy" (mostly pertaining to custom maps/wads)
    • Arguments about difficulty settings in general / Ultra-Violence being "true Doom"
    • Arguments about whether or not “Doom is Dying!!”

7 hours ago, Deathclaw886 said:

I dont understand the arguments on people thinking that if you like Doom you are a satanist.

Cultivating a "satanic" look was actually kind of the goal with Doom's imagery, references to 666 and music, all feeling like a stereotypical 1980s Heavy/Black/Death Metal album a-la Metallica/Slayer. Even though neither of these bands were actually Death/Black metal themselves, but that's another can of worms ;-)

I guess that part is easier to grasp if one actually was into that scene or at least actually lived in or close to that era. Those references made Doom look badass to a 1990s teenager, who learned to associated Heavy Metal with badass "satanic" imagery that upset pious people, and now all of a sudden there was an entire VIDEO GAME that was like that, not just a Metal album (which, TBQH, I personally never was much into it). Even if you weren't a Metal fan, the appeal was obvious.

I guess that part is kinda lost on today's audiences, which would find such a forced "Satan Metal" imagery to be kinda corny/campy, or at the most "earn" Doom yet another "Vidoe (sic) gmaes (sic) are teh devils tool!" article.

Edited by Maes

8 hours ago, Maes said:

Cultivating a "satanic" look was actually kind of the goal with Doom's imagery, references to 666 and music, all feeling like a stereotypical 1980s Heavy/Black/Death Metal album a-la Metallica/Slayer. Even though neither of these bands were actually Death/Black metal themselves, but that's another can of worms ;-)

I guess that part is easier to grasp if one actually was into that scene or at least actually lived in or close to that era. Those references made Doom look badass to a 1990s teenager, who learned to associated Heavy Metal with badass "satanic" imagery that upset pious people, and now all of a sudden there was an entire VIDEO GAME that was like that, not just a Metal album (which, TBQH, I personally never was much into it). Even if you weren't a Metal fan, the appeal was obvious.

I guess that part is kinda lost on today's audiences, which would find such a forced "Satan Metal" imagery to be kinda corny/campy, or at the most "earn" Doom yet another "Vidoe (sic) gmaes (sic) are teh devils tool!" article.

Its like they just looked at the hell part of the game and automatically assumed "This game is EVIL!" 

Has the r/Doom threads been addressed? We had what felt like one a week a month ago.

I think enough people expressed their disgust for those threads to where another hasn’t shown up since.. *knocks on wood*

Slaugther maps.

Some people like them  some don't, most don't skip them when they come up in a wad.

They are a fantastic way to grow as a mapper and a olayer by testing endurance. Keeping spawning threads on the subject to know if they should exist or not is counter productive and commonly end up by people saying : overequipped is good/bad.

Having to berzerk stuff is good/bad, which is a testament to how dumb and unsubjective the thread has become on the subject.

GZDoom.

I play it for testing, and most modern megawads. If you don't like it there is Boom and Chocolate and Crispy and Dos. I understand that some may want new stuff in it, or desire more compatibility option but you all know Zahl. GZDoom is tragetted for larger mods, and a less vanilla experience, to allow full 3D and massive scripting to give birth to TCs, which is awesome.

Its the goal of the port, live with it. We all know it is noy going to pedal back.

UV being the treu doom exeprience.

It is what I call making a dick size contest.

Some wads are made for UV to be an absolute carnage, and HMP to be what the mapper intented. As long as mapper tells you what is what, the "true doom experience" of this particuliar map is what the man said. Period.

UV is difficult. Yes HMP feels easier.

But even I that finished Plutonia only once, in a blind run, in UV and pistol starting I finished Eviternity single segement in HMP. And you know what ? No one cares.

This argument has ended long ago with the simplest reponse : play the game that you want to play. Have fun. No ones cares if Dario has no sympathy for you, you don't need his recognition.

This argument on UV being the gentlemen to play doom is just dumb. CV said it as a joke.

What maps are true doom.

Romero and Sandy and Tom builded three differents game and experiences in a single release. Play what you like, don't hate on people because of their own choices.

We are adults ffs, why is this argument even existing ? With all the wads released in the community, you have stuff for everybody.

It is just saddening to see people seeking.... pride ? Self-confidence ? I dunno... in publicly stating that there is a true doom, and that they are playing it. This goes with the UV argument above. It's the same phenomena.

Its sad.

Also I didnt vote for it because I don't really care about it, but argument about brutal doom is generally :

It looks like 2016 !

*No it doesn't*

(The peak of intersting conversation)

or someone casually hating on it because its popular.

Once again, it saddens me more than it annoys me.

Doom isn't 3D

No one cares.

No one did since 1997, and even then, people knew.

It about making view on youtube, because there is no arhument to be had in the first place. There is no real conversation here. It's just people that lack insight or information that talk about it to feel smart.

They lack insight and information.

Once again, who cares ?

Edited by JezChrist : I guess I love Zelda since I wrote link instead of like.

I would also add that these threads are not bad in nature. I enjoy reading other people's opinions on the iwads. The problem is not threads by themselves, but the arguments. Not all threads related to iwads create arguments, but when they do... it becomes boring and non-interesting.

I think it is also our responsability not to respond to haters or people voluntarily strating argument or starting receving opinion as attacks on themselves.... because it will start an argument and generate unwanted hostility and the thread will die. Saying then that "He staryed the argument,I responded, its his fault" is childish because in that case, you'd obviously have contributed to the creation of the argument, even if you defend a opinion that is considered right.

Which is a shame since some of these threads can be intersting and a good source of information on the game and the community.

I don't like when people avoid threads and thus don't comment on a thread because they know it might go south since the guy starting the thread has no idea. But I can't blame you since its no enjoyable to post in a thread to help and get only negative and hateful responses without being able to respond as you wished because you want to avoid unwanted confrontation.

Point is : it is a shame, but we shouldn't neglet (is that a word even ?) helping some new members out on those subjects (espevially opion surge on commercial release) when they come up.

A heated argument might start, but I'm confident it can be avoided if people seeking peace don't start heating up themselves. And the poor that started it all deserve had no idea... but still deserve a response to his questions.

9 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I think enough people expressed their disgust for those threads to where another hasn’t shown up since.. *knocks on wood*

This thread will never end, you've opened Pandora's box.

literally anything regarding brutal doom/project brutality/whatever the hell not being tRuLy DoOm, it's annoying af. like goddamn, who gives a shit if there's new players who prefer brutal doom over vanilla, let them play how they wanna play and quit being such a gatekeeping ass. there's genuine criticism to be made about brutal doom, but it not being "da weel doom!!!!" isn't one of them

that goes for the new doom games as well. they have issues, but just cuz someone prefers them over the originals doesn't give people the right to treat them like some sort of lesser being

yeah, and for playing any other games too. games are supposed to give fun, not to start religious wars. i hate it too when some people start "arguing" like "but this is not the way game authors intended it to be played!" so what? if i want to have fun my own way, and it doesn't hurt others -- gtfo, please.

Doom IS 3D, and the argument against that basically boils down to the fact that computers have yet to perfectly recreate a 3D environment. If Doom isn't 3D, then no games are.

On 12/22/2020 at 5:21 AM, seed said:

For me, it's discussions related to slaughter maps, GZDoom, whether Doom is or isn't 3D, how it's meant to be played and on what difficulty, what difficulty to play on, BD being good or not, and what source ports are the best.

Don't forget talking about how "DooM is keyboard only"!

6 hours ago, jghfugg29833 said:

Don't forget talking about how "DooM is keyboard only"!

i did both Quakes with keyboard only, i am The God, and Doom should be played with the keyboard!

p.s.: no, really, i even played Q2 deathmatches with keyboard only. i need a doctor.

There are a lot of arguments, that I have no idea what they are talking about. For an example: things like DOOM's coding. I once tried to code with Unity, but instantly gave up, because the tutorial I watched was from 2019. Not interested in that type of stuff really.

I suppose this would fit under the sourceport discussion, as well as "play the way you want to play" discussion, but I've seen a silly amount of arguments about whether or not you are a "true doom player" if you are playing with "mouselook" on or not. Always seemed a little pointless, since there are now plenty of options to accommodate both playstyles. :P 

6 hours ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

Doom shouldn't be played with texture filtering...

Depends if someone likes it or not

40 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I gotta admit, texture filtering is heresy. Nothing wrong with being heretical though!

Filtering walls and floors is fine, they can look horrible from some angles. Filtering sprites on the other hand, is a cardinal sin and deserves the harshest of punishments on those heathens.