Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chipper35

Ending

This isn't a 'tell me how to do everything' post.....just a simple question. So: I've made a little 3-map WAD (Doom II-compatible)......nothing life-changing. BUT: I really want it to 'end' after the 3rd map..........not just jump to the start of Mission 4 standard.

Is my only option the whole ENDOOM thing in SLADE.....'cause that stuff is confusing!

If you're in vanilla or Boom, then your best option is to start your mapset at Map 28. Then, your last map will be Map 30, and the ending will play after you finish the map.

For the ZDoom family (and anything else that can read MAPINFO), I think you can just define the destination after Map 03 to be the ending screen.

On 12/25/2020 at 12:37 PM, Chipper35 said:

That sounds great....and I'm no stranger to ACS scripting......but:  could you maybe give an example?? 

I'm not terribly familiar with ZDoom and MAPINFO, so someone who is can feel free to chime in.

However, consider the Boom-compatible mapset Tyrant by @Albatross. It only contains 5 maps, and in Boom or other ports that can't read MAPINFO, after you finish Map 05, it just proceeds to Map 06. However, when played in one of the ZDoom family of ports (or anything that could read MAPINFO), after each map, a text screen is displayed, and after the 5th map, there is a final text screen, and a final ending scene.

This is an excerpt from the MAPINFO, that shows the relevant part I'm talking about.

Spoiler

map MAP04 "Fall and Rise" 
{
titlepatch = "CWILV03"
next = "MAP05"
cluster = 4
music = "D_BETWEE"
}    

clusterdef 4
{
pic = "interpic"
exittextislump
exittext = lookup, "m4"
}

map MAP05 "Arfi and Sfeti" 
{
titlepatch = "CWILV04"
next = endgame
cluster = 5
music = "D_DOOM"
}    

clusterdef 5
{
pic = "interpic"
exittextislump
exittext = lookup, "m5"
}

I think the only relevant line here is 

next = endgame

so just make a MAPINFO lump and put something like

map map03 "your map name"
{
next = endgame
}

there.

Also I think this thread should be in Editing Questions rather than Tutorials.