Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFG38

[Now on /idgames!] 3x3 - 3 flats, 3 textures, 3 monsters! community speedmapping(ish) project

I'll definitely try to give this a shot. No promises though but I would like to try my hand at a short punchy map :)

8 minutes ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

I just decided to make all the lights FLAT20 instead of LGHT_1_6 or whatever.

You missed one still - the light with the green armor on it. I'll take the liberty of fixing that for you if that's not a problem.

10 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

You missed one still - the light with the green armor on it. I'll take the liberty of fixing that for you if that's not a problem.

damn it, geuss I'm dumb.
yeah, do that :p

sorry lmao

8 minutes ago, Salmon said:

Is it okay to count animated textures and flats as one?

As in treating the different frames of an animated texture as a single texture? Sure, I'll give that the OK sign.

30 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

Unwelcome is broken, the switch at the beginning doesn't work. Is this just PRBoom+ or is it the wad?

It's a zero-tagged linedef marked "S1 Ceiling Raise to Highest Ceiling". It works in GZDoom. That should be fixed.

2 hours ago, Dunn & Dunn said:

It's a zero-tagged linedef marked "S1 Ceiling Raise to Highest Ceiling". It works in GZDoom. That should be fixed.

damn it, I use zandronum too much ._ .

Just now, forgettablepyromaniac said:

damn it, I use zandronum too much ._ .

Don't worry about it, I'm sure it'll be fixed up soon. :)

@MFG38 Should probably add in the guidelines that participants should test their maps in the appropriate ports (such as in prBoom+) if they can. 

Made this one over the course of a few hours or more. First part is a modest little library, sort of resembling my elementary school's library layout, and the second part is...well, quite different. (I'd say it's a good way to "cheese" using one texture.)

It was tough coming up with a cohesive design with only three free textures, but fun nonetheless. I might make another one.

Name: Waterlogged

Flats used: FLAT5, FLOOR5_4, FWATER1

Textures used: PANBOOK, PANEL1, SUPPORT3 (and other textures excluded from the limit)

MIDI: "Waiting for Romero to Play" from Doom II

Monster information:

Spoiler

Easy (ITYTD & HNTR) / Medium (HMP) / Hard (UV & NM)

MONSTERS: 41 / 51 / 50
    - Zombiemen:    25 / 28 / 32
    - Imps:        10 / 13 / 13
    - Revenants:    6 / 10 / 0
    - Archviles:    0 / 0 / 5

ITEMS: 3 / 3 / 3
SECRETS: 1

Waterlogged (3x3 speedmap entry).rar

@Dunn & Dunn, hah, damn!  I've got like three rooms made using a lot of PANBOOK and FWATER.  I hope we're not all making watery libraries.  Mine looks pretty different from yours, at least--more of a temple theme.  Fun little map, though.

2 minutes ago, Salmon said:

@Dunn & Dunn, hah, damn!  I've got like three rooms made using a lot of PANBOOK and FWATER.  I hope we're not all making watery libraries.  Mine looks pretty different from yours, at least--more of a temple theme.  Fun little map, though.

Thanks a lot! I too hope we don't have a lot of maps with the same textures and flats. XD Hence why I will most likely make another one.

1 minute ago, Salmon said:

I almost chose that theme as well! What an odd coincidence. I mean, its not like there are an overabundance of wads with flooded libraries floating around, subliminally influencing mappers to make more of the same, like some sort of brain parasite.

1 minute ago, Omniarch said:

I almost chose that theme as well! What an odd coincidence. I mean, its not like there are an overabundance of wads with flooded libraries floating around, subliminally influencing mappers to make more of the same, like some sort of brain parasite.

I sure hope not, haha. It's not really a flooded library, though.

I've never used the PANEL and PANBOOK textures before, and Monster Condo (Doom II MAP27) popped into my head, so I wanted to do something like that for a change. I'm looking forward to seeing your guys' takes on such restrictions, gameplay- and texture-wise.

5 hours ago, Dunn & Dunn said:

Should probably add in the guidelines that participants should test their maps in the appropriate ports (such as in prBoom+) if they can. 

Yeah, good idea. I've updated the rules with the guideline. Thanks for noting me about it. c:

@Dunn & Dunn Gave your map a spin, it was pretty fun. The FWATER tunnel ultimately leading to the exit was a cool change of pace. Couple criticisms, though - first off, there's a pretty notable lack of health items in the map, considering the amount of zombiemen that spawn in the first room. Second, I'm not sure about the DOORYEL2 texture in the exit area, given that there's no yellow key on the map, though I can understand wanting to use it to signal the exit.

@forgettablepyromaniac I fixed the parts of your map that were non-functional in PrBoom+.

1 minute ago, MFG38 said:

@Dunn & Dunn Gave your map a spin, it was pretty fun. The FWATER tunnel ultimately leading to the exit was a cool change of pace. Couple criticisms, though - first off, there's a pretty notable lack of health items in the map, considering the amount of zombiemen that spawn in the first room. Second, I'm not sure about the DOORYEL2 texture in the exit area, given that there's no yellow key on the map, though I can understand wanting to use it to signal the exit.

Thanks for the feedback! The slight lack of health is deliberate - I played this map a LOT across all difficulties and I consistently got more than 65-70 health approaching the tunnel section, which would be no problem as the Revenants or Archviles don't take much with the soulsphere and plasma rifle. I've been experimenting more with health and ammo starvation as of recently. Feel free to add in a stimpack or two in the library area or something.

So yeah, I personally didn't find a problem with health at all. Hitscanners are the worst kind of RNG, aren't they? :P

That was also something I was going to mention - perhaps add EXITSIGN texture to the whitelist (or whatever) so we can signal the exit? Maps suddenly ending like that seems too unconventional and will be different with each map...

3 minutes ago, Dunn & Dunn said:

That was also something I was going to mention - perhaps add EXITSIGN texture to the whitelist (or whatever) so we can signal the exit?

I was contemplating that while writing that prior post, coincidentally. Consider it done.

Have a few ideas for this one - I'll try a green voidspace arena, which should lessen the impact of the constraints a bit.

I think we need a slightly more rigorous policy on the 'whitelisted' textures - on whether or not exit signs actually have to mark exits, for example.
I'll give the other maps a shot in a bit once we have a few built up.

Edited by akolai

I'll give it a shot. I have one idea, may not be the best idea, but who knows, someone might like it.

1 hour ago, akolai said:

I think we need a slightly more rigorous policy on the 'whitelisted' textures - on whether or not exit signs actually have to mark exits, for example.

I sort of expect it to go without stating separately that the DOOR*** and EXITSIGN textures should only be used to signify actions one would associate with those textures. That is, EXITSIGN signifies an exit, DOORYEL signifies a door that opens with the yellow key, etc. Of course, in the event that someone submits a map where those textures aren't used for their intended purposes and are blatantly used to circumvent the texture limit, I won't let it slide. I'll welcome any and all mappers willing to contribute, but that doesn't mean I'll accept absolutely everything.

5 minutes ago, Ar_e_en said:

I'll give it a shot. I have one idea, may not be the best idea, but who knows, someone might like it.

As long as it's not meant to troll players, there are no bad ideas. :)

Question - Does a missing texture count as a texture? I'm only using it for a pitfall trap effect and not as an actual texture that is meant to be looked at.

58 minutes ago, elio.exe said:

Can I please have map 7 reserved? Cuz that's how the map works

Sure thing.

56 minutes ago, Ar_e_en said:

Question - Does a missing texture count as a texture?

Nope.

5 hours ago, MFG38 said:

I fixed the parts of your map that were non-functional in PrBoom+.

yeah i'ma just say thanks for that and move on -_- I feel like an idiot i'm sorry

might do another one while being more careful in the future .-.

Just now, forgettablepyromaniac said:

yeah i'ma just say thanks for that and move on -_- I feel like an idiot i'm sorry

might do another one while being more careful in the future .-.

No worries, mistakes happen. c:

Right, I've finished my submission. Took me about seven hours, on and off. Feel good to crank something out in a timely fashion for once!

rocketfest.wad

For the textures, I decided to go with STONE2, SUPPORT3 and TEKWALL4, with the bestiary consisting of Shotgunners, Cacodemons and Revenants. I didn't bother with a custom sky, since the map is almost entirely indoors, and I used God Rest Ye, Deadly Gentlemen from Rise of the Triad as the map's theme. Difficulty settings have not been implemented.

I have played through the map in its completed state a dozen times, and everything seems to work correctly in PrBoom+

2 hours ago, Omniarch said:

Right, I've finished my submission. Took me about seven hours, on and off. Feel good to crank something out in a timely fashion for once!

rocketfest.wad

Hi buddy! I played your map, great texture choice and level design! Combat is fast and intense with a nice sense of movement and surrounding enemies. The two weapons worked very well, the shotgun was very effective to dispatch hitscanners while the Rocket Launcher served as a good challenge against the cacos. A minor nitpick is that the later encounters (after getting the keycards) felt a little dragged by fighting the same enemies on the same area again. I'm sure that would work well with other type of enemies (I like to repopulate arenas too), but under these rules it felt a bit repetitive imo. Not a big deal anyway as I had fun playing it and I think it's a great map with these limitations in mind.

Btw I think there's a softlock on the blue key room, because I was not able to get out from there. I assume the flat switch should have activated the support lift but it lifted another flat instead, so I had to noclip to the upper room. (nvm, that was just me being dumb lol) Other than that, I was able to beat the level with 100% kills.

Edited by Noiser