Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
whatup876

Bringing back the Chaingunner

I think there is an opportunity to bring back the Chaingunner. Similar to @AtimZarr1 (and others) thinking with the Hellrazor, it can be a ranged pressure enemy. Also a bit of a area denial enemy where once the Chaingunner begins shooting, there will be a stream of bullets that causes massive damage. The death stream's direction will move quite slowly and the Chaingunner probably would be static or walking very slowly. He would be a glass cannon, probably just as resilient as your standard zombie soldier.

In the right arenas the Chaingunner could be quite deadly, such as open fields and long narrow hallways, similar to classic Doom. But if there are pillars and walls nearby, the Doom Slayer can easily navigate around and kill him fairly easily.

This thread was dead for a while (and deader since he returned as Riot Soldier) but i just discovered this fanmade animation, with a model based off that fan design.

Chaingunner was a enemy which meant that it's getting dangerous back then in Doom 2. He was also the one who was giving Plutonia its spirit along with Revenant and Archvile. After Doom 2, they completely forgot about him. Not even an appearence in Doom Eternal. It looks like the Chaingunner is a history now

37 minutes ago, Teo Slayer said:

Chaingunner was a enemy which meant that it's getting dangerous back then in Doom 2. He was also the one who was giving Plutonia its spirit along with Revenant and Archvile. After Doom 2, they completely forgot about him. Not even an appearence in Doom Eternal. It looks like the Chaingunner is a history now

he did have an appearance on ancient gods part 2 though but it wasnt that great there and was not dangerous

he also appeared in doom 3

On 7/9/2021 at 2:16 AM, omalefico32x said:

he did have an appearance on ancient gods part 2 though but it wasnt that great there and was not dangerous

he also appeared in doom 3

I guess that was kinda intentional. Seeing as he was one of the greatest run enders in Doom 1 and 2 with him sniping you across the map. But in Doom eternal with the slayer technically becoming a God the chaingunner is scared shit less of him. Why do you think he has that riot shield and helmet? From a fierce enemy that could end runs to a little scary baby in Doom Eternal, how low has he fallen. 

On 7/8/2021 at 4:07 PM, Teo Slayer said:

He absolutely was in Doom 3 0_o 

Doom_03_b_17.jpg

And yeah, he's in Ancient Gods 2 as well, though... kind of useless in that IMO.

I have to say, I think I liked the concepts on Page 1 of this thread way more than what ended up in TAG 2.

I think an interesting concept for him is to retool his hitscan to instead be a barrage of bullets that he uses to sweep an area. This would be telegraphed and either have clearly visible weapon spray or have a tracking laser that the player can try and avoid. Make it somewhat of a bullet hell enemy. I've made an elaborate mockup to demonstrate this.

image.png.6fbc08af2a8a8914acb0ef6f385ba6e4.png

On 7/15/2021 at 9:04 PM, Taurus Daggerknight said:

yeah, he's in Ancient Gods 2 as well, though... kind of useless in that IMO

Well, what did you expect? In DOOM 1 and 2 they were run enders and would snipe you from across the map because Doom Slayer was still Doomguy and hasn't turned into what he is now. Back then the chaingunners weren't afraid of him but now that he's turned into the Slayer, they're so afraid that they wear helmets and got riot shields with them. They're the smartest demons in DOOM Eternal imo. 

I agree, they should bring back the chaingunners.

They may have helmets and stronger shields but their guns still fire projectiles, even if that would still be applied to a version that would still carry non-energy/bullet chainguns. (like shooting thin lines representing bullets)

Also, besides the concept of zombiemen having access to the same weapons and ammo as the player, taking away abilities or even "weapons" (as in ripping off a Baron's arm or cybernetic guns from cybernetic demons) would have been a fun way to implement a "subweapon" system like an arcade game but in Doom.

Then again, with the limitations and dates of the expansions, they had to do something quick and easy.

Makes me wonder if Horde mode will have new enemy types or even give existing ones new attacks and stuff, tied to a round/wave system.

Because if there is a third modern Doom game, i'd like to see them somewhat cross the regular limitations that existed in "the Doom dance" and see them come up with unexpected stuff, even if it seemed gimmicky at first.

In some way, i'm surprised stationary enemies like tentacles and eye turrets are even a thing.