Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ar_e_en

If the Baron fireball wasn't green, what color would you like it to be?

If the Baron fireball wasn't green, what color would you like it to be?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. If the Baron fireball wasn't green, what color would you like it to be?

• Yellow
    • Yellow and Orange
    • Muted Orange
    • Bright Orange
    • Muted Blue
    • Bright Blue
    • Muted Red
    • Bright Red
    • Pink

I'm working on a possible project that requires me to change the Baron and Knight sprites. I also have to change the Baron fireball sprite to something that isn't green, so I made a few test sprites for you to judge.

POLLwipBWepbase23.png.21de077034070b8a7b877ea7eba6f450.png

The green one is for comparison. 

Maybe I might combine some elements from multiple choices (example: use Bright Blue for the fired sprite, but use Muted Blue for when the sprite hits something and disappears).

Also the image may be a bit blurry (at least on my end?), so I'm posting a smaller one that isn't transparent here:

POLLwipBWepbase24.png.cd0ba3a6d6e205834c10aec1fc94fe7d.png

6 hours ago, Nevander said:

I choose muted red because it looks like the Doom 64 projectile.

Same here, it is most fitting IMO.

7 hours ago, Nevander said:

I choose muted red because it looks like the Doom 64 projectile.

1 hour ago, seed said:

Same here, it is most fitting IMO.

I always thought it was more looking like "Bright Red". I guess it's because of my eyes being fucked up.

14 minutes ago, DesecratorJ said:

I always thought it was more looking like "Bright Red". I guess it's because of my eyes being fucked up.

No, I actually thought the same, I'm pretty bad with color nuances and their names lol.

Would have never thought it's actually "muted red".

Doom does have a muted red which is used for Player 4 traditionally. This fireball is more like deep red. I know this seems like playing semantics, but Doom has all 3 shades and they do have different looks to them 

9 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Doom does have a muted red which is used for Player 4 traditionally. This fireball is more like deep red. I know this seems like playing semantics, but Doom has all 3 shades and they do have different looks to them 

DeHacked color shenanigans is partially the reason why I have to change the fireball sprite.

Also, the names are there just to signify the different colors for the poll, I chose the names mostly keep track of the different colors for myself.

It was a three-way split for me between Muted Red, Bright Blue and Muted blue. In the end I voted red because that's what it was in Doom 64

27 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

I voted for Muted Blue myself. I think the contrast with the Baron's red palette would work really well.

FIREBLU wants to know your location

I went for Yellow and Orange, although Muted Red also looks pretty good.

i like bright blue, like a blue fireball. also adds variety to the enemy bullet colors, arachnotron ball is green, imp mancubus and revenant balls are red orange and yellow, caco balls are red/purple.

3 hours ago, URROVA said:

i like bright blue, like a blue fireball. also adds variety to the enemy bullet colors, arachnotron ball is green, imp mancubus and revenant balls are red orange and yellow, caco balls are red/purple.

I agree, the Baron fireball has a uniqueness to its color in comparison to all the other color projectiles. Personally - I like "Bright Blue" and "Yellow and Orange", but a lot of people seem to like the "Muted Red" colors, so that one might have some potential.

But don't let me sway your judgement :)

9 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Yeah I think a more accurate terminology would be light/saturated instead of bright/muted but it's clear enough from the pictures.

Fwiw I like muted red the most for D64 reasons, but bright blue and yellow and orange are also contenders. 

I'm partial to yellow orange since that's not really a color shared by other projectiles, which would make it stand out a bit more and be easier to identify in combat.

2 minutes ago, Deathclaw886 said:

whaaat?! no option on the poll for purple? shame...tsk..tsk..tsk

That's because the Doom palette didn't have many shades of purple, and most of them are on the Pinky.

Just now, AtticTelephone said:

That's because the Doom palette didn't have many shades of purple, and most of them are on the Pinky.

oh i see, im actually digging the muted blue.

red seems too overdone in my opinion, the imp fireball is red, the mancubus fireball is red, the cacodemon is.....red and blue? screw it..... the cacodemons is FIREBLU.

but an all blue projectile would be new and refreshing[in a painful way, if you know what i mean] after all, a blue flame is the hottest...

17 minutes ago, Deathclaw886 said:

whaaat?! no option on the poll for purple? shame...tsk..tsk..tsk

14 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

screenshot(2020-12-25)_(03-16-52).png.80802dbc833e5353a4a895e10e52a0f5.png

I actually tried to create a purple fireball, but it looked awful.