Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheHambourgeois

You Are the Big Rocket Launcher (And I'm Just the Shot Gun) - A Vanilla Doom 2 map

yatbrl_cwilv00.png.6385b8acf5203c525cb344d16d1ddbd7.png
E: Finished all the shit I wanted to. Should be up on /idgames soon if it doesn't get rejected.

Well after I started an ambitious for me eternity project this year, I got hit by the reality of a 60 hour work week once things started opening back up. Anyway, here is a more feasibly complete-able project for me (not to mention an excuse to work on encounter design): I call it "You Are the Big Rocket Launcher (And I'm Just the Shot Gun)"

Current Version: yatbrl.zip
-added deathmatch starts, co-op starts, and other multiplayer things

-added custom music
-added CREDIT graphics
-changed some textures to distinguish between décor and switches

Old Versions:

Spoiler

v1- yatbrl_alpha.zip

v2- yatbrl_beta.zip
-Fixed a bug where you could open the exit doors immediately
-Added another wave of shotgunners for ammo/to keep things fresh
-Added extra shotgun ammo, esp. on HNTR and HMP
-Made the glitch room secret a valuable room to go to and not just a weird room
-Added impassable lines to a couple alcoves I and demo makers kept getting caught on
-Added TITLEPIC, M_DOOM, and HELP graphics

It's a fight (or flight) with a Cyberdemon. With the shotgun. Good luck!
yatbrl_HELP.png.f1e1837999adb6a4799b8964b5af8b8c.png

It's got:
-custom color map
-custom playpal
-custom textures
-difficulty implementation
-vanilla compatibility

-deathmatch starts
-multiplayer things

-a custom song

yatbrl1.png.d2e3ccfe250288121011b724e2991131.pngyatbrl2.png.3c25c99ad287bfce7bead65ee5de2356.pngyatbrl3.png.e993977f6c10abc254a212831dd8a5fb.pngyatbrl4.png.eea6fe2f709530af2bbfcb2616558840.pngyatbrl5.png.5f75fb7b75238f8b71a6e2cd8417e516.png
Here's the custom playpal in action.

So far I've only tested it in Chocolate Doom. It looks good in visplane explorer but there's a lot of moving parts and its pretty open so that's my main concern other than people just recognizing what they need to do and enjoying the game play.

Edited by TheHambourgeois : done-zo

2 hours ago, TheHambourgeois said:

It's a fight with a Cyberdemon. With the shotgun. Good luck!

Is that the entire idea of the map? Because trying to kill a cyberdemon using only the shotgun sounds quite repetitive. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I recorded some demos in PrBoom+. yatfda.lmp is my first attempt, which ended in tragedy when I was almost done. yat2-3.lmp contains my second attempt, where I died immediately, and my third attempt, a successful UV-Max in 9:01. Here they are:

yatfda.zip

I actually like it. If it was just circle-strafing a cyberdemon with the shotgun, that would be really boring. Instead, the layout and health balance make it challenging and entertaining. Maxing this isn't for everyone, but the exit can be opened without killing the cyberdemon for those who would rather not bother. I actually ran out of shells (this could have been avoided if I was more careful about picking up shotguns while I had 49/50 shells) and finished it off with the pistol, which thankfully didn't take too long since it was so close to death. I'm glad there are a few weak enemies roaming around as well.

3 hours ago, Silhou3tte said:

Is that the entire idea of the map? Because trying to kill a cyberdemon using only the shotgun sounds quite repetitive. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

As mentioned by Pseudonaut, you do not have to kill the cyberdemon. In fact, I do not recommend it for a casual playthrough, it's more of a hazard to manage. My first playthrough victory during testing was achieved without killing it.

2 hours ago, Pseudonaut said:

I  actually ran out of shells (this could have been avoided if I was more careful about picking up shotguns while I had 49/50 shells) and finished it off with the pistol, which thankfully didn't take too long since it was so close to death. I'm glad there are a few weak enemies roaming around as well.

Ok I knew the ammo was pretty tight but I thought I gave almost double what you'd need for the cybie. I'll see about throwing a few more shells around the ground cause I'm also sure it's hard to avoid the shotgunner drops while you are running around. I definitely need to consider that for HNTR/HMP where I reduced the amount of shot gunners.

53 minutes ago, TheHambourgeois said:

As mentioned by Pseudonaut, you do not have to kill the cyberdemon. In fact, I do not recommend it for a casual playthrough, it's more of a hazard to manage. My first playthrough victory during testing was achieved without killing it.

Ok, I understand now. The post made it seem as if you were just shotgunning a cyberdemon.

While it does get a little repetitive, I do really like ideas like this (I actually have a map that starts similar to this!).

One thing though:

Spoiler

I was able to just hit the switch to gain access to the end as soon as I saw it from down below

Just now, Btyb88 said:

While it does get a little repetitive, I do really like ideas like this (I actually have a mao that starts similar to this!).

Yeah, for better or for worse this is a ~concept map~

And

Just now, Btyb88 said:

One thing though: (spoilers)

Fuck I'll have to make sure the other linedefs actions fully encapsulate it lol

I gave it a whirl and I actually though this was pretty good, reminded me a lot of the Doom 64 map Cat and Mouse (not the best video example as the skilled player utterly murders the poor Cyberdemon haha) and I think it could be interesting if you did another one with teleports implemented like Cat and Mouse did.

Spoiler

One thing that confused me was the "glitch room", an experiment to be sure but it bombed out my Chocolate Doom.

Just now, mrthejoshmon said:

Reveal hidden contents

One thing that confused me was the "glitch room", an experiment to be sure but it bombed out my Chocolate Doom.

So other people can chime in, I'm running on a potato computer and the medusa effect doesn't bomb out my chocolate doom, but I can replace that if its fucking with other people. I am also probably going to make it a proper secret and not just a red herring in the next update.

I wish more wads would use transparent red blood, it looks really pretty and is much easier on the eyes. No idea why this never caught on, only a small handful of wads do it. The vanilla pain screen is, well, painful!