Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Peter

Master Levels for Doom II - 25th Anniversary MIDI Pack

Well as i said in the No Rest for the Living Thread i was working in a UMAPINFO to play the Master Levels with the New Music in PrBoom+, so far the process to Install it is very frustrating so i better make a video explaining all the process

On 2/7/2021 at 1:31 PM, Doomkid said:

...the logo at the top just feels like the more natural of the two variants Scuba made.

I could return the title to the top, but I would have to shrink the title a bit and move it to the left; the most iconic part of Master levels is the specific screaming face on the right and it has to be completely exposed.

Looks very nice, well done! glad all the different pieces of the Master Levels are coming together so well..

Sorry to ask, but how do you play Master Levels with crispy Doom? i really want to play with this midi pack.

Gonna have to use a few of these sometimes, I'm especially fond of "Inescapable Pit Time" and "Fist Urethra." Great stuff, very different and fun.

On 1/26/2021 at 8:51 PM, SiFi270 said:

Master Levels sort of technically has an official titlepic.

USRDIR/d[1|2]bfg/base/textures/MASTICON.PNG of Doom 3 BFG Edition for the PS3 (both NPUB-30889 and NPEB-01122).

MASTICON.PNG.5f205fcf2cf628f29bc537ca09d3fe8d.PNG

Have I mentioned that "Wank City" is one of my favorite titles for a track ever? Kudos to Peter for attempting to polish a turd! If I ever get motivated enough to do so, I'll compile the files properly with the midi set and get ready for old-school nineties-style pain. 

19 hours ago, Diabolución said:

USRDIR/d[1|2]bfg/base/textures/MASTICON.PNG of Doom 3 BFG Edition for the PS3 (both NPUB-30889 and NPEB-01122).

MASTICON.PNG.5f205fcf2cf628f29bc537ca09d3fe8d.PNG

And this is the one from the Xbox Resurrection of Evil version that got mentioned earlier in the thread. It's a 256x256 image, so I suppose the game stretches it to fit in inside that menu box. Once you load the game, it uses the normal Doom 2 titlepic inside the iwad, so these are used just for that "game selection" menu.

00001236.png.17e4dfd5f87838ef455b1c6f554cf864.png00001235.png00001234.png

Great project. Could I just suggest adding a text file in which you specify which track is meant for which level? Folks that play each level as an individual WAD, myself included, would really appreciate it.

Were there any songs in particular that could be considered inspirations for this package (alongside the NRFTL midi pack) in the same vein as Doom original Soundtrack and the metal riffs?

As Jimmy indicated earlier on, this isn't necessarily what you would expect, especially not after listening to contents from other projects such as the recently completed Doom 2 soundtrack replacement.

I happened to listen to d_evil first and well... I was wondering if my soundfont wasn't properly configured or something. Then I checked out some other tracks - which were better, but in the end they confirmed my initial impressions.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the effort that was put into this and I am sure many out there will still prefer this over listening to d_runnin over and over again, but it's just not my cup of tea. The general mood of these tracks is kinda goofy or funky at times, but I am missing dark or even mysterious tunes, more like what they did for Plutonia 2. It's not exactly a "Prince-ish" soundtrack, but I guess that wasn't the point, which is fine. Personally I hope another project will aim for a different style since I can't cope with this one. Again, no offense, just stating my opinion here.

Anyone know how to get this running with the Master Levels Menu Interface?

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=20795

I've tried putting the music in the interface, i tried putting it into the wads themselves, i tried renaming it to the correct doom2 lumps AND tried changing mapinfo to the new names to no avail. nothing works.

On 4/14/2021 at 7:23 PM, Wario64 said:

Anyone know how to get this running with the Master Levels Menu Interface?

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=20795

I've tried putting the music in the interface, i tried putting it into the wads themselves, i tried renaming it to the correct doom2 lumps AND tried changing mapinfo to the new names to no avail. nothing works.

You'll have to put the midi's in the Music folder, edit the MAP info and Master Levels Library, recompile the library settings in the ACS folder (right click MasterLevelsLibrary.txt after editing it, go to scripts, and then click "Compile ACS")), and then replace the MSTRLVLL.o with the new file. There's a more detailed tutorial here: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20795&start=60

On 2/11/2021 at 5:20 PM, GratefulName said:

If you already have a WAD File with all the Master Levels WAD in a single WAD

Load PrBoom+ with this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n1ojoXI00legu_FCnskEZeowOWFDBasH/view?usp=sharing

On 3/14/2021 at 6:36 PM, LincolnPark96 said:

Hello everyone, i was able to edit the midi pack wad (prboom-plus UMAPINFO) to add the map names. In case anyone is intersted in use it, i´ll put it here:

masterlevels_prboom+_midipack.rar

Fantastic work, fellas. Really glad I can finally enjoy this in PrbBoom+ in all of its glory (the map name thingy was driving me nuts). As for the tracks themselves: Peter delivers once again, no surprises here (also catnip forest is dope, nj teenager Bloo). I know the response has been a bit divisive and I can see where people are coming from, but from where I'm standing these are all just really fun tracks and an excellent celebration of the Master Level's... "quirky" legacy, let's put it like that. Love "Are We Really Doing This" in particular (the tracks' names tho).

Edit: for those who wanna skip editing the files manually in Slade (which is everyone I assume), this works perfectly with the PSN patch Diabolución shared earlier. Also works with Devalaous's lovely upgrade pack. Parameter should look something like this (-pistolstart is optional obviously):

Spoiler

-iwad DOOM2.WAD -file masterlevels.wad masterlevels_prboom+_midipack masterlevels_fix.wad -pistolstart -complevel 2

Edited by Mike Stu : making it easier for prboomers to enjoy this (hopefully)

I can't get the MAP20 secret exit to work for some reason with the PRBoom Version of the wad.

On 3/14/2021 at 9:36 PM, LincolnPark96 said:

it either ends the game or goes right back to MAP01 depending on if I disable intertextsecret in PRboom or just straight up crashes in GZdoom.

On 6/17/2021 at 1:54 AM, Mike Stu said:

Also works with Devalaous's lovely upgrade pack.

I really should get back to work on improving that. Some bugs were found and I need to add UMAPINFO and so forth to it. Thinking of adding a variant that uses the Doom 2 midi replacement as well.

On 6/17/2021 at 4:05 PM, UnluckySpade7 said:

I can't get the MAP20 secret exit to work for some reason with the PRBoom Version of the wad.

it either ends the game or goes right back to MAP01 depending on if I disable intertextsecret in PRboom or just straight up crashes in GZdoom.

This is a know issue mentioned in Grateful's video. Unfortunaetly there's no fix for this yet afaik. For now, you can use IDCLEV to get to MAP21 no problem.

On 2/8/2021 at 9:47 AM, Berstaken said:

Well I'm not sure if I understood correctly, but I managed to incorporate your music into the master.wad without replacing the original doom2 music (for those that have master levels as an episode). Just open both the file and master.wad with slade and copy everything from the file to the main wad.

merge-with-masterWAD-using-slade.rar

I gave this a try, as I run both No Rest for the Living and Master Levels as episodes on my copy of Doom II. Works just fine on the levels as they're meant to but the intermission theme bleeds into the intermission screens of Doom II and NRFTL. I'm not familiar with typing out MAPINFO to counter this, but if there's a single line of code or something I could type in to fix it, please let me know.

Sorry if it has been answered properly before, but I find myself in a bit of a confusing situation.

I have followed JPL's instructions to create the most complete version of the Master Levels, but when I play it, some maps still use vanilla music. At first, I assumed it was because of the inclusion of the rejected maps, but then it turned out that some official maps do not have an original track.

Is that on purpose or did I mess up somehow?

On 11/10/2021 at 10:46 PM, Rudolph said:

Sorry if it has been answered properly before, but I find myself in a bit of a confusing situation.

I have followed JPL's instructions to create the most complete version of the Master Levels, but when I play it, some maps still use vanilla music. At first, I assumed it was because of the inclusion of the rejected maps, but then it turned out that some official maps do not have an original track.

Is that on purpose or did I mess up somehow?

It wasn't designed or tested with that. Only the official Master Levels have original tracks.

Minor update to ml_midipack_crispy.wad for before Doom's anniversery.

Updates:
Fixed looping of the intermission music.

Made the text screen music become also the title screen music.

Added title screen and intermission screen graphics by @Scuba Steve

Added sky textures, orange sky from Ultimate Doom Episode 4, and night sky from Master Levels. Should fit most maps in Crispy Doom although I'd prefer COMBINE and MANOR to use the episode 2 night sky.

Have you considered re-scoring the levels that were rejected from the Master Levels For Doom II compilation as well?

I think it would be a neat companion piece to JP LeBreton's Works of the Masters compilation.

DOOM2_THE_MASTER_LEVELS_25th.zip

Uploading my version for ZDoom, an edited variant of the Master Levels Interface (https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20795&sid=a2748f3e3472564d3a28a96555b2a8c5) with Peter's midis included

You will need to put the individual Master Levels map wad files into the maps folder inside the zip, including creating the TEETH2.WAD and putting that in as well

And then rename the .zip file to .pk3 and you should be good to go. Let me know if there are any problems

Edited by flamming_python

On 6/18/2022 at 6:09 PM, flamming_python said:

DOOM2_THE_MASTER_LEVELS_25th.zip

Uploading my version for ZDoom, an edited variant of the Master Levels Interface (https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20795&sid=a2748f3e3472564d3a28a96555b2a8c5) with Peter's midis included

You will need to put the individual Master Levels map wad files into the maps folder inside the zip, including creating the TEETH2.WAD and putting that in as well

And then rename the .zip file to .pk3 and you should be good to go. Let me know if there are any problems

Thanks for this matey, playing on GZDoom now, seems to work fine. 

Hey everyone!

I noticed that no one had really bothered to make a demo compatible version of the Master Levels with the updated soundtrack that would support the individual Master Level PWADs to be loaded alongside an individual counterpart PWAD that would include the necessary music, official CWILV## graphic, TITLEPIC, INTERPIC and automap name.

Yes, there were some compilations for the individual PWADs, but they had lots of problems and didn't even include the latest version of the soundtrack or were erroneous in other aspects.

This package solves all of these problems and more, while also being 100% vanilla compatible (as in, DOSBox compatible), thus also running on every source port under the sun, without having to compile the individual PWADs into a single WAD.

And yes, you can still record and playback demos safely using the provided WADs in this package :)

[Download: Master Levels - Soundtrack and QoL upgrade package.zip]

Spoiler

--- [Quality of Life features included] ---

1) Fully vanilla compatible (which is also why the WAD names all consist of 8 characters or less).

2) Appropriate level names + level numbers on the automap (taken from the PSN progression).

3) The official intermission graphics (CWILV##), taken directly from the original "MASTERLEVELS.WAD".

4) TITLEPIC and INTERPIC graphics in every WAD, taken from the original "ml_midipack_crispydoom.wad".

5) Unlike in the original MIDI Pack WAD, you don't have to worry about the wrong sky textures anymore.

6) Title screen music (D_DM2TTL), intermission screen music (D_DM2INT), text screen music (D_READ_M),
       end screen music (D_EVIL) and, of course, the music for the appropriate level is included in each and
       every WAD file, taken directly from the original "ml_midipack_crispydoom.wad".

7) Extra DeHackEd patches in this package that allow you to display level names on the automap in DOSBox
       and other really old/strict ports.

8) Optional Master Levels menus I made out of Windows Batch files for DSDA-Doom, PrBoom+, Chocolate Doom,
       Crispy Doom, ZDoom and GZDoom. All these menus have been play-tested and were created to save most
       players the hassle of having to set everything up first. [Refer to "03_README.TXT" for more information.]

9) Since the WADs can also run in DOSBox, they can run in basically any source port of your own choosing.

I very much hope you enjoy my package. Have fun! :)