Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lubba127

My first WAD, THE DOOM GAUNTLET [fixed]

this is my first wad, and I'm pretty happy with it. hope you guys enjoy! 

this is made for the gzdoom engine, but the gameplay and design is all classic. zdoom is easier to mod so that's why I use it.

comes with 23 maps, including the secret levels.

by default, freelook, jump and crouch are disabled. it breaks the maps, but if you want to use them, you can.

these maps are meant to be played from pistol start, but if you want to keep your inventory, you can(in most levels).

dear lord this thread has been a disaster lol. well, here is the map fix. if anyone finds any bugs, please feel free to report them.

screenshot1.png

screenshot2.png

screen3.png

BOSSBACK.png

THE DOOM GAUNTLET.zip

Edited by lubba127

I recommend reading this thread before posting maps

Main thing is screenshots though, people want to see what they're getting into first.

1 hour ago, Austinado said:

1 hour ago, Snaxalotl said:

I recommend reading this thread before posting maps

Main thing is screenshots though, people want to see what they're getting into first.

alright, got it! the post is edited, hope this works.

Hey just played the first two levels. It plays really well! I liked the first level a lot. It's fast paced and super punchy. Second level was a little disappointing after such a good opener - you have so much space to move around and not enough enemies to really make use of that space. It's also a little bland on the detail front and could maybe use something extra to make it pop a bit more. The best example I could probably give is making the area a little less square. It's supposed to be a cliff right? Add some extra vertices, make the lines curve a bit, and it'll just look a lot more natural.

Also navigation was a little weird. I got stuck at the blue skull key lift because I tried to use the blue bit as the lift but I actually had to use the cliff as the lift which doesn't seem intuitive. Also, the blue bit is a lift but only from behind and the wall behind isn't textured:488121869_BaseProfileScreenshot2020_12.25-14_40_38_80.png.5f58bbebee53e1c173ec80ff2511455b.png 

Sorry if I've come off too negative or nitpicky, just trying to help. You've got a great foundation here, just needs a bit of polish. I look forward to playing more of it though.

Edited by whybmonotacrab : Wanted to be more helpful and less negative.

12 hours ago, whybmonotacrab said:

Hey just played the first two levels. It plays really well! I liked the first level a lot. It's fast paced and super punchy. Second level was a little disappointing after such a good opener - you have so much space to move around and not enough enemies to really make use of that space. It's also a little bland on the detail front and could maybe use something extra to make it pop a bit more. The best example I could probably give is making the area a little less square. It's supposed to be a cliff right? Add some extra vertices, make the lines curve a bit, and it'll just look a lot more natural.

Also navigation was a little weird. I got stuck at the blue skull key lift because I tried to use the blue bit as the lift but I actually had to use the cliff as the lift which doesn't seem intuitive. Also, the blue bit is a lift but only from behind and the wall behind isn't textured:488121869_BaseProfileScreenshot2020_12.25-14_40_38_80.png.5f58bbebee53e1c173ec80ff2511455b.png 

Sorry if I've come off too negative or nitpicky, just trying to help. You've got a great foundation here, just needs a bit of polish. I look forward to playing more of it though.

this helps a lot, honestly the nitpicks are what I'm looking for.

maps 2 and 3 were some of the first levels I created, and damn it shows. why I didn't show them more love and attention? I wanted to get this out before today. 

the wad gets better, I assure you. maps 2-4 are meh, but everything else was more carefully crafted. I will be releasing an update when I fix those maps. thanks for giving me an idea to work off of! hope the rest of the wad is fun

8 hours ago, lubba127 said:

this helps a lot, honestly the nitpicks are what I'm looking for.

maps 2 and 3 were some of the first levels I created, and damn it shows. why I didn't show them more love and attention? I wanted to get this out before today. 

the wad gets better, I assure you. maps 2-4 are meh, but everything else was more carefully crafted. I will be releasing an update when I fix those maps. thanks for giving me an idea to work off of! hope the rest of the wad is fun

I know the feeling. It's hard to keep something you've spent a long time bottled up, and you aren't going to improve without feedback. Have you thought of replacing those levels? The problem with them being so early is they give a false impression of your megawad. If you have 2 or 3 levels back to back that are lower quality than the rest this early on, people might not press on to the good stuff. I'll give it more of a play when I get a bit more time.

But hey, seriously congrats on the release.

14 hours ago, whybmonotacrab said:

I know the feeling. It's hard to keep something you've spent a long time bottled up, and you aren't going to improve without feedback. Have you thought of replacing those levels? The problem with them being so early is they give a false impression of your megawad. If you have 2 or 3 levels back to back that are lower quality than the rest this early on, people might not press on to the good stuff. I'll give it more of a play when I get a bit more time.

But hey, seriously congrats on the release.

thanks man! I probably wont replace the levels, I plan on making some more wads in the future, and the feedback here will go towards newer endeavors.

5.5/10.
(1 being The Worst Wad Ever, 4 being a bad map from a beginner, and 6 being a map generated by a program.)

Unaligned textures.. on floors and ceilings. Inconsistent and "off" design everywhere. Super-basic detailing is done incredibly weirdly. The layout is unnatural and odd, with no consistency found between maps. Nazi soldiers found in odd places, like normal levels & an entire area dedicated to their theme. I couldn't even finish it. but I got to the Reserve level before stopping (Map 16). Quarintine as a map level name. Yada yada yada, I'm not here to be a cruel ass repeating what's expected. 

Do note: My doom skills in general are mediocre at best, so take this review with a grain of salt.

Congratulations on finishing your wad. Pushing out a megawad of 23 levels is hard & takes some effort, even if they look mediocre. I would have started out simple with Boom Format & one map, but to each his own, I guess. Don't feel bad about me being cruel, this is your first map and it's Doomworld. It's gonna happen. I don't have much to say other than "Odd levels, great effort behind the wad though and the later levels are better". Do remember that most of us on Doomworld have made awful beginner maps & have become way better at DooM mapping. Learn from the feedback and keep your head high, you'll get better at it. 23 maps is no easy effort, so if your future wads have the same amount of effort in this wad then I'm definitely sure they'll be awesome. We all start somewhere, and even after pumping out my awful beginner map I got better at doom mapping (I think.) 

I will finish the wad after submitting this reply since it looks like later levels have more love put into them. I'll edit my review when I'm completely done.

EDIT: After playing later levels (I am now on Data Expunged) I have to say, this is starting to get better than the crappier levels earlier. I will edit the review as soon as I finish this megawad; the shotgunners trap in Data Expunged is really good.)

Edited by thelazyqdude