Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chipper35

HUD messages??

Question

So: when configuring in Doom II mode..........why can't I get my HUD messages to work in ACS scripting??

It works great in UDMF format!!     And: in UDMF format, there are two 'tabs' that appear in the scripting mode, but only 1 in Doom II mode.......what gives??

3 answers to this question

In ZDoom, Doom format maps do not have ACS, this was a feature introduced with the Hexen format. So if you want ACS for a particular map, you need to use the Hexen format or UDMF. You can kind of externally inject them using LOADACS but they aren't map specific and can be confusing to work with for inexperienced users. 

In Eternity, a Doom format map can use ACS but it has to be provided separately, Doom Builder doesn't automatically handle it (because as usual ZDoom has the tools monopoly). You'd compile your script with a different tool (either through SLADE3 or just directly in ACC) and then list it as an entry in EMAPINFO. 

Edited by Edward850

Technically in Doom format maps you can use FraggleScript. Though it's completely different from ACS, more limited and it received a lot less testing.

Also in UDMF you get a tab for ACS and a tab for DIALOGUE. (Amusingly you could be getting a third tab for FraggleScript, too, because there's nothing that prevents FS from being used in UDMF.)

On 12/26/2020 at 5:49 AM, Chipper35 said:

So: when configuring in Doom II mode..........why can't I get my HUD messages to work in ACS scripting??

Because Doom II mode doesn't support ACS.