Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DevilMyEyes

Gehenna.wad (Doom 2 level)

Recommended Posts

CWILV00.png.c0c7aaa50620eda6193cd47205bb0a58.png v1.1

Hello there! After a long time of trial and error, here it is...my newest vanilla DOOM 2 level, the sequel of BLIND.WAD

As promised, it has 11 secrets and crazy combat.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20201226_220745.png.6a31c108b90ef38a6b70a7197cb2c93f.pngScreenshot_Doom_20201226_220540.png.e4546a85d1a1e5b767773d72a6d0f798.pngScreenshot_Doom_20201226_220810.png.70c5eda897ec72a4f5e293194cb5d6ab.pngScreenshot_Doom_20201226_220835.png.421989ca9e8bf52e2c614addb82be92a.pngScreenshot_Doom_20201226_220905.png.45bdffd0d25aa11e0f7265a2849391d0.png

Tested With...

Zdoom

Crispy Doom

Prboom-plus 2.5.1.4

Lenght

About 9 to 14 minutes to complete it.

Difficulty

Designed to play on UV (other difficulties are balanced as well)

-Notes

-This level replaces map01 of doom 2

-"Alice" music by Jimmy

NEW Download Link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SmKDzbegZydZVawFGXf2ua_mEeNOLKdt/view?usp=sharing

 

Edit: HI, it looks like a door of the wad wasn't properly working...here's the fixed version.

Edit 2: I forgot to close the final door to enter the exit room, i'm sorry..i'll put the newer version link here.

Edit 3: Moved the linedef that triggers the fleshy wall of the quake room a bit more far away and made the RL platform a bit more higher.  

Edited by DevilMyEyes

Share this post


Link to post

During the development, i discovered a black metal band called Gehenna on yt..it's pretty cool

Edited by DevilMyEyes

Share this post


Link to post

It's a bit cramped, but it's very atmospheric and some of the traps were quite nasty and cool. Texture work and general detailing are also really neat. There's a couple of interesting areas, though they feel a little hollow and under-developed. It very much feels like more of a test map. It's a very nice looking test map, but not all that fun to play if I'm being honest. You've definitely got an eye for detail which I really respect you for, but I think map layout and combat is where this map sags a bit for me, personally. It looks good and has great atmosphere, but there's not much going on under the surface. Anyways, keep practicing, fam. ;^)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

It's a bit cramped, but it's very atmospheric and some of the traps were quite nasty and cool. Texture work and general detailing are also really neat. There's a couple of interesting areas, though they feel a little hollow and under-developed. It very much feels like more of a test map. It's a very nice looking test map, but not all that fun to play if I'm being honest. You've definitely got an eye for detail which I really respect you for, but I think map layout and combat is where this map sags a bit for me, personally. It looks good and has great atmosphere, but there's not much going on under the surface. Anyways, keep practicing, fam. ;^)

 

 

Thanks for playing my map! and yeah, it looks like i still have to practice mapping some more. I'll find a way to make less cramped sections, it's my problem with design, i think.

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

It's a bit cramped, but it's very atmospheric and some of the traps were quite nasty and cool. Texture work and general detailing are also really neat. There's a couple of interesting areas, though they feel a little hollow and under-developed. It very much feels like more of a test map. It's a very nice looking test map, but not all that fun to play if I'm being honest. You've definitely got an eye for detail which I really respect you for, but I think map layout and combat is where this map sags a bit for me, personally. It looks good and has great atmosphere, but there's not much going on under the surface. Anyways, keep practicing, fam. ;^)

 

 

Also, i forgot to close the final door, the keys needs to open it xD...I'm going to edit the post and fix it real quick, sorry.

Share this post


Link to post

Now that the wad is fixed, I apologize to everyone...I fricked up progression, next time, i'll check everything on the level before posting it into DoomWorld, i'm so sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, DevilMyEyes said:

During the development, i discovered a black metal band called Gehenna on yt..it's pretty cool

The Norwegians? Yes, great band. Actually that band was the first I thought of, when I read the title of your WAD.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Loomis said:

The Norwegians? Yes, great band. Actually that band was the first I thought of, when I read the title of your WAD.

I listened to the Malice...Our Third Spell album and it inspired me to do the map's atmosphere and with Jimmy's midi it totally fit well, in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post

I had fun with this one! Definitely feeling some SIGIL inspiration in how cramped and dark it was, but the mood set by the lighting, texture work and MIDI choice was very eerie and enjoyable.

 

I did find what I think are two sequence breaks:

 

The flesh door that closes near the starting area is really easy to straferun past if you go in knowing it's going to close in your face. Once you're in there (the room with the small Quake logo on the floor), it seems like there's no way to get back out. Not surprising, but maybe either move the door further back, or make the line that triggers the close a little further away?

 

Another area was the tall lift that leads up to the Chaingunners constantly being revived by the Vile. It's easy to straferun onto the platform with the RL, and I don't think that's intentional.

 

Overall a really nice wad. If you keep this same sort of style but create a slightly less claustrophobic take on it, I'd really enjoy that. Don't get me wrong though, there's room for cramped maps once in a while (pun not intended). Keep it up!

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I had fun with this one! Definitely feeling some SIGIL inspiration in how cramped and dark it was, but the mood set by the lighting, texture work and MIDI choice was very eerie and enjoyable.

 

I did find what I think are two sequence breaks:

 

The flesh door that closes near the starting area is really easy to straferun past if you go in knowing it's going to close in your face. Once you're in there (the room with the small Quake logo on the floor), it seems like there's no way to get back out. Not surprising, but maybe either move the door further back, or make the line that triggers the close a little further away?

 

Another area was the tall lift that leads up to the Chaingunners constantly being revived by the Vile. It's easy to straferun onto the platform with the RL, and I don't think that's intentional.

 

Overall a really nice wad. If you keep this same sort of style but create a slightly less claustrophobic take on it, I'd really enjoy that. Don't get me wrong though, there's room for cramped maps once in a while (pun not intended). Keep it up!

Glad you enjoyed it! and damn, I didn't know you could straferun into the Quake room and the RL's platform. I'm sure i'll fix it today, thanks for noticing Doomkid.

Edited by DevilMyEyes

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I had fun with this one! Definitely feeling some SIGIL inspiration in how cramped and dark it was, but the mood set by the lighting, texture work and MIDI choice was very eerie and enjoyable.

 

I did find what I think are two sequence breaks:

 

The flesh door that closes near the starting area is really easy to straferun past if you go in knowing it's going to close in your face. Once you're in there (the room with the small Quake logo on the floor), it seems like there's no way to get back out. Not surprising, but maybe either move the door further back, or make the line that triggers the close a little further away?

 

Another area was the tall lift that leads up to the Chaingunners constantly being revived by the Vile. It's easy to straferun onto the platform with the RL, and I don't think that's intentional.

 

Overall a really nice wad. If you keep this same sort of style but create a slightly less claustrophobic take on it, I'd really enjoy that. Don't get me wrong though, there's room for cramped maps once in a while (pun not intended). Keep it up!

And yeah, I have some sort of obsession with making cramped maps, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×