Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

it was really about the reds

i never thought about it until the other day. i like watching alot of old scifi movies from the 40-late 60's. mainly the alien/monster ones. however i have seen a change in newer movies. in almost all of the older movies aliens were invadeing and blowing shit up. i think it was in a way propaganda. they were showing how aliens would invade, and useing the lesson from the 30's radio show 'war of the worlds' to play on histeria. if the public though aliens had it in for them then they were sure to think that communist russia was already trying. really they just replaced the reds with aliens to play on the invasion fear. some even put the aliens on the side of the russians or put communtist ideas and trade marks in the movies. i remeber one were the aliens wore red and yellow. others used soviet russia or the sysmbols of other soviet controled/friendly nations. this would make sence seeing that most of them were made in the 50-70's. anyway what others things were used in a similar way. cartoons were big. a good example is rockey and bullwinkle.

Alientank said:

What does this have to do with anything

Heh, this is one of Sephiroth's lucid moments :)

Cant think of anything communist-related, but I do remember a bugs bunny cartoon where he referred to the Japanese as "gooks" and "slant-eyes" (this was made during WWII obviously). Videos were still available up until the early 90's (I saw it on the news, thats how I remember) after that they were pulled.

A good study on anti-Japanese propaganda during the Pacific War is the book War Without Mercy. Good shit on how the petty prejudices and gross stereotypes shaped policy, both in battle and at home.

the blob was about communism. a giant red mass expanding and absorbing all life. several other movies that I can't think of at the moment were also veiled anti-communist propaganda, some even being anti imigrant. if any of you guys remember the '80s mini series V, that was an anti-nazi thing. it was pretty blatant.

The original Gojira (Godzilla) was anti-American propaganda made by the Japanese Communist party. The whole giant monster, created by American nuclear tests in the Pacific, destroying Tokyo.

Of course, when the movie started raking in money on both sides of the Pacific, they became the capitalist branch of the JCommie party and things kinda went to hell. :)

Assmaster said:

I do remember a bugs bunny cartoon where he referred to the Japanese as "gooks" and "slant-eyes" (this was made during WWII obviously)

Lol, this reminds me of a Donald Duck cartoon i saw on the net where he's in the military and air dropped into a place (obviously Japan by the era it was created in, as well as the voices and eyes) While Donald was floating down the river in a dingy the japanese people hiding in the bushes say this:

Japanese #1: Should we shoot him yet?

Japanese #2: No! It our tradition to shoot enemy in back.

yea i have seen the bugs bunny cartoon. Wlat disney (the man) supported hitler's ideas, but had to hide it in the out break of WW II and after. there are a few shorts by disney showing nazi ideas as good, pulled during WWII. there are many disney movies and cartoons with such hidden messages.
i still see looney tunes with racist remarks and such to this day

Alientank said:

What does this have to do with anything

Welcome to the forums.

I for one welcome Seph's off-topic fragments.

IMJack said:

The original Gojira (Godzilla) was anti-American propaganda made by the Japanese Communist party. The whole giant monster, created by American nuclear tests in the Pacific, destroying Tokyo.

Of course, when the movie started raking in money on both sides of the Pacific, they became the capitalist branch of the JCommie party and things kinda went to hell. :)

hmm...It was actually an anti-nuclear weapon film. if it was an anti american communist film, it would have never made it to american shores and had raymond burr inserted. at least thats what I know, and I'm big time gojira fan-boy. where did you hear this?

VileSlay said:

hmm...It was actually an anti-nuclear weapon film. if it was an anti american communist film, it would have never made it to american shores and had raymond burr inserted. at least thats what I know, and I'm big time gojira fan-boy. where did you hear this?

That's what I said. It was made by the JCommies as a shtick against American nuclear testing. Maybe I shoulda made that more clear. Besides, it was butchered in the translation.

it definately was, just like all the other gojira movies. I guess no one mentions the communism factor in japan any more.

if you ever saw the '90s version of gojira against kingu ghidorah, there a scene that takes place during WWII where american troops are trampled by an unmutated gojirasaurus. the funny shit is when the time machine arrives the american desrtoyer captain is talking to another officer. they see the flash and fast moving light and the other officer asks if they should repot the ufo. the captain tells him: "no. you should probably tell your grandkids when their born, major spielberg."

there was also one last year called gojira: monsters all out attack. gojira was actually a sort of demon in this one. he was an amalgmation of all the souls that died in the war in the pacific. I haven't seen that one yet, cuz no ones made bootlegs that I know of.