Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

FreeDoom levels in Doom/Doom 2?

Is there any port of the FreeDoom levels to standard Doom 1/2? Interested in giving them a try, I just prefer the regular graphics over the royalty-free ones.

As far as I understand all you would need is to delete graphic and sound replacements from freedom and play it with Doom 2. You can use slade for that.

Delete everything that isn't maps (Start with MAPXX marker and ends with BLOCKMAP each) and music (Labelled accordingly, starts with D_)

I did exactly this once a long time ago. Essentially what ViolentBeetle said, you have to delete everything that you don't want (or rather copy everything you want to a PWAD). There were some quirks that had to be resolved from what I remember but I don't know exactly what they were. I imagine FreeDoom has been updated since then. When I did it, they were incomplete.

A more general solution would be to copy the relevant resources from the IWAD into a new PWAD and load that after Freedoom. You wouldn't need to modify Freedoom every time there's a new version and could use the PWAD to override resources in other wads as well.

...And of course it's not a good idea to share the wad with the IWAD resources unless you feel like getting banned.

I would just replace only sprites and sounds. New textures, flats, music should stay in my opinion.

Yea that's the idea, and that's what I did. The FreeDoom textures, music, and graphics stay. But you now get original Doom sprites, weapons and sound effects. Essentially turning FreeDoom into a megawad like any other you'd download and play.

On 12/29/2020 at 4:51 AM, Nevander said:

There were some quirks that had to be resolved from what I remember but I don't know exactly what they were

Was it dehacked with the new messages? It contains new names for weapons and monsters. I had to re-edit all of them to make the game more like original.