Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bengaltiger1

My 1st Doom map in DB2

Hi, I am new to the world of mapping and after some revision and issues with teleport destination and such, I finally made my map fully functional to play.

There are some use of custom graphic resources, but there's also still a strong presence of Vanilla Doom II textures. Music used is in ogg format. 

HMP is recommended but for more skilled players UV is worth trying. Both criticism and praise are welcome, and also tips on how to improve for the future.

All being said, I wish you a good game and festive mood. And also HNY for 2021 ^_^

Following advice on the addition of screenshots, here are some for everyone

GZDoom g4.5.0  64-bit (2020-10-31 10_07_33 +0100) 30_12_2020 13_54_38.png

GZDoom g4.5.0  64-bit (2020-10-31 10_07_33 +0100) 30_12_2020 13_55_37.png

GZDoom g4.5.0  64-bit (2020-10-31 10_07_33 +0100) 30_12_2020 13_56_00.png

Bengaltiger1.7z

Edited by Bengaltiger1 : Adding url link

Just a quick tip: DB2 is no longer supported. You could go instead for DBX or UDB.

11 minutes ago, DSC said:

Just a quick tip: DB2 is no longer supported. You could go instead for DBX or UDB.

Thanks for the heads up, hopefully my 1st map will be playable for users as I tested in GZDoom 4.5 and it works fine. I shall move onto the latest builders for future maps. Until then I hope you enjoy my work

Hey! i am glad you decided to post it. Don't worry about using db2, i made an entire megawad out of it, it's a pain when you realize how much easier ultimate is but at least when you ll go for it you will gowell trained!

By the way, screenshots are not necessarily spoilers, many people here won't even try your map if there are no screenshots, so please post at least one. (You know, sometimes there can be a terry wad or a virus etc).

I can guarantee for him though. Keep mapping man!

If you're new to posting your wad in here, please take your time to read this one:

Just played through it - it's better than I expected out of a first map, and the combat is mostly (excluding the trapped barons) not completely lacklustre. My main issues are with texturing and doors - textures often meet alongside each other in ways that don't feel right (metal against stone bricks or wood, for example (not to mention almost every texture is misaligned (i.e. noticeably doesn't connect with adjacent textures)), and both the level's doors have some linedefs not marked as lower unpegged, causing them to scroll up or down with the door. The doors also poke below floor height, which just feels wierd. I appreciated the secret that made me work for the reward (hitscanners guarding megasphere), but none of them were marked (had any indication that there was a secret there).

I do think it's better to learn to map with simpler tools, as it teaches you to get creative, among other things. Also, antares linked a *really* good guide - for now, it's worth treating it like a checklist.

There's some pretty good texture work going on and your progression is okay, but what really kills the map for me personally is the really cramped spaces and I mean really cramped spaces with a lot of crap in the way that just made the combat really tedious rather than fun, especially the twin Cyberdemon fight at the end as it makes the difficulty artificial rather than a challenge that feels fair and instead relies on essentially dumb luck. I highly recommend this video by Doomkid that'll give you a better idea of why cramped spaces hurt combat dynamics and kill the fun. Anyways, welcome to Doomworld, keep practicing and don't be afraid to share more maps or even revisions of this map if you want. 

On 12/30/2020 at 3:27 PM, Biodegradable said:

There's some pretty good texture work going on and your progression is okay, but what really kills the map for me personally is the really cramped spaces and I mean really cramped spaces with a lot of crap in the way that just made the combat really tedious rather than fun, especially the twin Cyberdemon fight at the end as it makes the difficulty artificial rather than a challenge that feels fair and instead relies on essentially dumb luck. I highly recommend this video by Doomkid that'll give you a better idea of why cramped spaces hurt combat dynamics and kill the fun. Anyways, welcome to Doomworld, keep practicing and don't be afraid to share more maps or even revisions of this map if you want. 

I appreciate you being blunt regarding the points where I need to improve the experience of my maps. I also listened to the video a few times to digest the info carefully. Working on a new map and taking into account more open fights, less cramped space and objects in the players path. Maneuverability when fighting monster closets has also been given more* attention. I also had my map reviewed by a user named Henry Korver on Youtube who stated similar points as you did, and that my transitioning between areas has to be less sharp and more subtle in nature.

These are obstacles to address as a new mapper, I'll improve + overcome in time. Ty for sharing your thoughts

Just played - GZDoom, HMP - Not too shabby. I was OK with the cramped spaces - made it easier to get the cyberdemon (just 1 on HMP). I didn't get all the secrets though.

Textures are a bit disjointed, and I noticed a couple of crates that were not quite high enough (or the texture was misaligned) so they looked odd. Main texture issue for me was an unpegged door track. I also think you could have made the overall impression much better with some work on the light levels. I tend to go a bit nuts on shadowing and grading of light levels in my levels and I think just playing with the lighting can massively improve how a map looks, without any other changes. 

Also, it's an awfully big file. Looking at it in Slade, there are a lot of textures and flats, and several music lumps - are they all used? If not, suggest you remove any that are not used in the map to reduce the filesize.

Keep it up though, it's really satisfying to make a map that works the way you want. Look forward to playing your next one...

And - welcome to Doomworld!

Definitely too cramped and awkward and those decorations shoved into tiny rooms only make things worse

It's definitely challenging but is it fun challenging?

I felt like a fat marine trying to fit into places I didn't fit

also wish there was more health for how much is thrown at me - like 2 stimpacks and mostly top tier monsters?

Hope my vid is helpful I gave it a try and died so much, especially in the cyberdemon room ouch

Is it just me or was ammo kind of tight? I saved some by having monsters infight in that yellow key outside area

Did 2 barons and a hell knight really need to be in that tiny room?

Keep mapping tho just give me some room to breathe huh

Detailing was nice but I think you'll go places if you give the player room to fight :)

good times