Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Szuran

He Came From Beyond

2 hours ago, Szuran said:

this is a rather slow game, so no missile-slinging action. :) Combat will be based more on environmental elements, you aren't powerful, you have to lure your enemies into traps etc.

Neat, sounds a bit like Pathologic :)

However, this is a rather slow game, so no missile-slinging action. :) Combat will be based more on environmental elements, you aren't powerful, you have to lure your enemies into traps etc.

Sounds interesting, I want to get my hands on this when it comes out, really liking this project. It is looking amazing.

Well, just stopped by to say that this is hands down my most anticipated upcoming release, not only in Doom modding, but in ALL of the world of gaming as of now...

That hand drawn graphics just looks fantastic. I'll follow the progress on this with great interest.

Outstanding work so far!! Can't wait. 

Thanks, and sorry if I'll ask for patience, but this is big and so far, 8 month into production, I'd say it's 25% ready.

Thanks, and sorry if I'll ask for patience, but this is big and so far, 8 month into production, I'd say it's 25% ready.

Of course, DW is full of other stuff to play as well so I can wait however long it takes.

Absolutely amazing! It looks wonderful! It seems a a pencil hand drawn book.Lovecraft is one of my favourite writers, and I recently reread  "At the mountains Of Madness" and "The Shadow Over Innsmouth". I hope the Necronomicon will be in the game ;)  Awesome work!

It looks fantastic! Nice to see innovative and well made mods like this.

On 5/2/2021 at 6:13 PM, thestarrover said:

Absolutely amazing! It looks wonderful! It seems a a pencil hand drawn book.Lovecraft is one of my favourite writers, and I recently reread  "At the mountains Of Madness" and "The Shadow Over Innsmouth". I hope the Necronomicon will be in the game ;)  Awesome work!

"Mountains" are my top inspiration. :)

Thanks guys, here's a video of this thing in motion:

Thank you for your kind words. :) I hope to make this level look better, but now I'm focused on its gameplay flow. It should be fun, it's very different from the Earth levels, there's different gravity, different way you use your "weapon", different feel.

Saw the gameplay/preview videos, although it's not something I'd personally play, I could legitimately see this getting a Ship of Theseus Cacoward when it fully comes out!

Keep up the good work!

It ain't perfect, but it's mine.

The funny thing is that I discovered there's a "golder ratio" of the image that has to repeat between frames to not look like completely different images. It's quite obvious which parts are identical between the frames, but originally each frame was 100% unique and it just didn't work. I'm probably discovering something that pro animators know well, but at least it's fun to do it.

ezgif.com-gif-maker1c13a1478c314edc8.gif

This is beyond amazing. The screenshots certainly won't do justice to the entire project once it's released, and I would gladly play through and through solely for the visuals. 

This particular project will stay under my radar, that's for sure 😍

On 5/16/2021 at 9:57 PM, Origamyde said:

This is beyond amazing. The screenshots certainly won't do justice to the entire project once it's released, and I would gladly play through and through solely for the visuals. 

This particular project will stay under my radar, that's for sure 😍

If it stays under your radar then you will not notice it! You mean, it will stay ON your radar? :D

2 minutes ago, VGA said:

If it stays under your radar then you will not notice it! You mean, it will stay ON your radar? :D

Yes, absolutely, sorry for the misspell 😔

On 5/1/2021 at 3:46 PM, Szuran said:

25% complete = 8 months. therefore, another 75% (25% x 3) to go would mean another 24 months (8 months x 3), about another 2 years excluding buffer times. perhaps i am looking at a timeframe of another roughly 2.5 to 3 years before this project is released?

if so, it would be a long arduous journey before crossing the finish line. like all good projects, i guess (eg. the hyperrealistic wad "dawn of reality" took 3 years). i, no, we all here, hope you all the best to make it happen no matter what. and i believe many, not only in doomworld, but the entire doom community world wide, will support you all the way till the very end. good luck :)

Edited by terminator

3 hours ago, terminator said:

25% complete = 8 months. therefore, another 75% (25% x 3) to go would mean another 24 months (8 months x 3), about another 2 years excluding buffer times. perhaps i am looking at a timeframe of another roughly 2.5 to 3 years before this project is released?

Sounds about right. It's a long journey, but I only work on it when I feel like it, and I want to avoid filler and copy-paster content. It's gonna be short but meaty. Some people carve things out of wood in their spare time, I do this. It's not arduous to me, it's relaxing. :)

11 hours ago, Gez said:

The OP presents it as a total conversion, but wouldn't it actually be a standalone game? Just asking...

That's what we want to do (we, because frankly, it's a 100% team effort now), ideally in two versions: available as a total conversion and as a standalone game. But standalone depends on one factor: if we'll be able to afford a programmer who'll prepare a custom version of the engine and compile it in a coherent release. I got in touch with the creator of Hedon for this, and he'll help me with his advice once the game is complete enough.

25 minutes ago, Szuran said:

But standalone depends on one factor: if we'll be able to afford a programmer who'll prepare a custom version of the engine and compile it in a coherent release.

That shouldn't really be necessary, IIRC all Hedon's custom version did was change some default bindings and settings, the icon, and the program name. And since then GZDoom has acquired the DEFBINDS and DEFCVARS lumps to allow custom IWADs to come up with their own default bindings and settings without having to change the engine. So all that remains is the cosmetic side (icon and name).

4 hours ago, Gez said:

That shouldn't really be necessary, IIRC all Hedon's custom version did was change some default bindings and settings, the icon, and the program name. And since then GZDoom has acquired the DEFBINDS and DEFCVARS lumps to allow custom IWADs to come up with their own default bindings and settings without having to change the engine. So all that remains is the cosmetic side (icon and name).

They created a custom version of the engine and hired a programmer to do so.:) I mean, it might've been as simple as changing some values in cvars, but it's still probably beyond our capabilites.

On 7/14/2021 at 12:23 PM, Szuran said:

Transition from chapter beginning to the game:
On that note, I've started a Twitter channel if anyone's interested in following.

That transition was smooth af! this is looking really promising!

I just discovered this project through the Cacoward Mentionation Page, boy have I been missing out.

Your project looks great, @Szuran! Reminds me a bit of Borderlands, except they probably just used shaders for a comic-book like style whereas you physically drew every art asset on paper (great sketches, btw). Since this is a total conversion in the GZDoom engine, not just a Doom mod, I think it may even be fair to put the final project (whenever you're ready) up on Steam or GOG and sell it for a couple of bucks. I'm sure a lot of people, myself included, would be happy to get it.