Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scwiba

The UnMaking: a 33-map nightmare for Doom 64 (final version on /idgames)

15 minutes ago, ScrappyMcDoogerton said:

You can go to This website and download doom64ex_sdl_fix.zip for current builds of win10. Should work for you.

Thanks again, but like I said, I already tried that. It's no big deal, I'll just wait until a version compatible with the Steam port is released.

So here's an update for those who have problems getting Doom 64 EX running! @Ryath (aka scwiba) has been doing a ton of work and making great progress on the Doom 64 Remaster port. Here's the intro and the first map running on the remaster!

7 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

So here's an update for those who have problems getting Doom 64 EX running! @Ryath (aka scwiba) has been doing a ton of work and making great progress on the Doom 64 Remaster port. Here's the intro and the first map running on the remaster!

@Ryath (aka scwiba) is one damn sexy crafter for sure.

Glad Nightdive saw the potential on this awesome mapset.

(they did saw it, do they?)

14 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Glad Nightdive saw the potential on this awesome mapset.

(they did saw it, do they?)

Nope, not that I know of. Porting The UnMaking over to the official release has been a process of slowly picking through every map to track down all the incompatibilities between EX and the KEX engine. I've done it all myself with a lot of support from @Immorpher and the D64 Discord.

I'm just about done bugfixing all the original maps now. There's also a new hub of maps I'm working on that will maybe give players some reason to check this version out even if they've already played the EX version.

Edited by Ryath (aka scwiba)

22 minutes ago, Ryath (aka scwiba) said:

Nope, not that I know of. Porting The UnMaking over to the official release has been a process of slowly picking through every map to track down all the incompatibilities between EX and the KEX engine. I've done it all myself with a lot of support from @Immorpher and the D64 Discord.

I'm just about done bugfixing all the original maps now. There's also a new hub of maps alluded to above that I'm working on and will maybe give players some reason to check this version out even if they've already played the EX version.

More sexier than i thought :O

Since this thread is already bumped, I might as well post release candidate 3. This will be the final RC before I replace the old version on /idgames, and includes just a few fixes I noticed were needed while converting maps over to KEX. As always the full list is in the OP.

There's also a new hub of maps I'm working on that will maybe give players some reason to check this version out even if they've already played the EX version.

Will it be separate new episode? Or, probably, an option to load it in a such way? If will - I can give it a try for sure.

5 minutes ago, UnknDoomer said:

Will it be separate new episode? Or, probably, an option to load it in a such way? If will - I can give it a try for sure.

You will be able to load it by selecting the "Lost Levels" :)

For those who will want to play Doom 64 EX + The UnMaking + Steam combination. I.e. track hours, make screenshots, chat, but not play the remake version & use external WAD's with EX. Short instruction.

1. Take files from DOOM 64 EX. Check my previous message, if required (https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2251688).

2. Put them in the \ Steam \ SteamApps \ common \ Doom 64 \

3. Rename the DOOM64.WAD file to DOOM64_original.WAD. EX will not work with wad that is presented on Steam. You will need the original console version. How and where to get it I've described earlier.

4. Rename DOOM64_x64.exe to DOOM64_x64_original.exe. This will make no longer be able to run a remake via Steam.

5. Rename Launcher.exe to DOOM64_x64.exe. It, in turn, will additionally run DOOM64.exe without the _x64 prefix that comes with EX. When launching, type in a third-party WAD in "Other parameters", if available, for example unmaking_fix.wad.

Launcher is designed in such a way that the parameter can be written either here or via the launch shortcut. As a result you will have to specify the desired .wad every time you start it. So better name it simple, for example like wad.wad. Currently I didn't find how to add it in Steam console settings or config.cfg.

Edited by UnknDoomer

This may be a rather daft query, but I must know: is this wad designed to accomodate jumping? MAP04 really begs the question, with regard to some of its secrets.

27 minutes ago, Omniarch said:

This may be a rather daft query, but I must know: is this wad designed to accomodate jumping? MAP04 really begs the question, with regard to some of its secrets.

Nope, it is designed for classic gameplay.

You only need to figure the master prankster's plan, and thats not easy thing ;)

For everyone who wants to play this on the Remaster, a beta version is out now which includes bonus maps! 

Here is a poster for your enjoyment! FDibZpSXMAADcPM?format=jpg&name=4096x409

On 12/31/2020 at 8:59 PM, scwiba said:

unset.png.9e7a0e965cfd624d1449423f60ce1aed.png

As my last act of 2020, I'm setting this thing free! The UnMaking is my latest (and greatest?) megawad -- 33 maps of moody, technicolor nightmares as only Doom 64 can bring you. The mapset is split into three episodes, starting with your classic techbases, moving into the heart of Hell, and culminating in a journey to a trippy dimension where some real experimental levels live. This version is exclusively for Doom 64 EX but a new and improved version with 7 bonus maps is now available for the official Doom 64 rerelease.

DOWNLOAD

(Tested in Doom 64 EX 2.5)

The UnMaking is the swansong for my speedmapped "UnSeries," which also includes UnAligned for Doom, UnNecessary for Doom II, and UnBeliever for Heretic. However, they're all pretty loosely-related and are very much enjoyable on their own, so don't worry about jumping straight into this one. When we last left our hero, you had just annihilated every monster across three realms of swords and sorcery. But while you were busy cosplaying in the Dimensions of the D'Sparils, a new demon emerged in our reality and revived all the hellspawn you ever killed -- and dragged you back through space and time for a climactic showdown. Grab your super shotgun and megaarmor; this is your final campaign against the forces of the UnAligned.

Trailer:

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

base4.png.ff3a85ad00e6f3de744dd19057344cfd.png

nightmare4.png.b30751624b122edcc53b5cb951b4b658.png

hell4.png.b9c26b984d1d16a913d9632963a04ad4.png

Map List:

Reveal hidden contents

Episode 1 - The Last Moonbase on Earth
01 - Old Dog...New Tricks
02 - Manic Marines
03 - Hexcomplex
04 - Warehouse Shuffle
05 - Ghost Stories
06 - Sardine Packing Plant
07 - Dead Man Switch
08 - The UnAbsolution

Episode 2 - Hell-o, Good-bye
09 - Dig Your Own Grave
10 - Blast Processing
11 - Crosswind Crossfire
12 - Walled Garden
13 - When Hell Freezes Over
14 - Sicklied Symmetry
15 - Mercurial Minions
16 - The Infinity Gantlet

Episode 3 - Dimension of the Darndest

17 - Do Not Wake Mother
18 - Going Nowhere Fast
19 - Monuments to the Cement God
20 - The Misaligned and Maligned
21 - Prismatagoria
22 - Flotsam in an Astral Sea
23 - How Many Demons Can Dance...
24 - Remember the Hellamo
25 - Raise a Glass
26 - The Void Dreams of Huge Guts
27 - Good Night and Good Luck
28 - Aligned in Darkness

Secret Maps
29 - Remote Control (accessed via Map04)
30 - No Going Back (via Map12)
31 - Roll the Dice (via Map18)
32 - The Docking Bay (via Map01)

33 - UnTitled (played at startup before the menu)

Known Issues:

Reveal hidden contents

1) Because "spawned" enemies in Doom 64 count toward kill percentage even if they're blocked and not spawned, it's impossible to get 100% in a few maps. The "ghost" gimmick on Map05 also creates several unkillable monsters. Below I've listed all maps where 100% kills doesn't appear to be possible, along with the maximum percentage I was able to achieve on skill 4:

• Map05: 89%
  • Map13: 99%
  • Map14: 6%
  • Map19: 97%
  • Map21: 97%
  • Map23: 78%
  • Map26: 94%
  • Map28: 99%

2) Related to the same problem as above, other maps are tricky to get 100% kills on but not impossible. Often it just comes down to luck and where enemies (or the player) are standing when other enemies spawn, but killing everything as fast as possible does help reduce the chance of failed spawns. Maps where I found 100% kills to be quite finicky were:

• Map03
  • Map16
  • Map21
  • Map27
  • Map30

3) 50% items is the maximum attainable on Map29. (One item is despawned.)

4) On Map10, the switch that creates fire to detonate the barrels in the kiln room sometimes requires two presses to work despite being intended to take only one.

5) On Map 24, venturing out in the lava and looking back at the main structure can cause pretty significant visual glitches.

6) One-pixel-wide slivers of sky appear all over Map26 when looking at structures from certain angles. I believe this is a glitch in Doom Builder 64's nodebuilder and I haven't found a way to fix them without creating new problems.

Changelog:

Reveal hidden contents

/idgames Rerelease [unmaking.wad]

• Map02: Monster-blocking lines have been added around the drop after the demon hallway to prevent infinite height enemies from walling it off
  • Map07: The bar stools are now slightly smaller to cause less collision
  • Map12: Corrected a major bug where pressing use on any of the blue key doors other than the first one you're meant to open causes all sectors tagged 0 to "open"
  • Map15: Fixed a missing damage and liquid effect on nukage in the area right before the yellow key door
  • Map18: Added a second line to trigger the timer script because it's possible to straferun fast enough to skip the first one
  • Map20: Separated tag numbers on the lost soul monster closet and lift so that the monster closet isn't affected by a late-added secret shoot switch that's only supposed to raise the lift further
  • Map31: An alerted demon was placed outside the playable area so that something would engage the RNG aside from the random switches, making the random switches... well, more random hopefully (and the demon is killed by a crusher so 100% kills is still possible)

Rerelease Candidate 2 [unmaking_rc2.wad]

• New stained glass window and light textures
  • Moved a few items further apart in Map21, 24, and 29 that could not be collected under certain circumstances due to a strange bug with overlapping pickups
  • Map13: The sky definition has been changed to give a gray, cloudy look and thicker fog
  • Map24: Changed out the orange sky and fog for a red sky and darkness
  • Map26: Three additional SSGs are available in case the player misses the first one
  • Map26: Removed the partial invisibility and added a couple light amps
  • Map26: To aid in navigation, the visible distance has been extended slightly and there are now flaming statues around areas with keys still in them

Rerelease Candidate 1 (unmaking_rc1.wad)

• Major balance tweaks on all maps, especially for lower difficulty settings
  • Small visual changes throughout, including new props and more colorful lighting
  • Platforms in several maps have been raised or widened to prevent grabbing items from below when playing with strict Doom 64 compatibility settings
  • A serious attempt has been made to clarify the visual language of switches; all shoot switches now use one of only two switch textures, and those two textures are never used for regular press switches
  • New waterfall texture
  • Map01: Added a new secret (which includes an additional barrel for the secret exit scavenger hunt) and replaced the medikits from the ledge secret with a shotgun and shells
  • Map02: There are now double the initial number of marines in the final fight but none spawn in later
  • Map04: Untagged a sector that had accidentally been marked secret
  • Map04: Combined the two switches in the central-northern room into one and added switches that lower the lifts rather than having to press use on the lifts directly
  • Map07: The series of switches for killing the cyberdemon now use darts instead of an invisible crusher (the crusher was not behaving as intended)
  • Map07: Reworked the last encounter in the barracks
  • Map07: The four-stage lift battle now uses teleports instead of spawns to prevent failed spawns from affecting kill percentage
  • Map07: Placed a light amp in the warehouse area and replaced the plasma gun with a BFG
  • Map08: Both secret alcoves are now significantly lower to the arena floor
  • Map09: The teleport macro in the grave is now triggered by pickups at the bottom, so you must drop into the grave rather than being able to simply run across the top
  • Map09: Swapped out the secret rocket launcher for a light amp (or soulsphere on skills 1 and 2) and created a new rocket launcher secret
  • Map10: The key-activated barrel bridges are now pillar bridges to make them work with vanilla Doom 64 compatibility settings
  • Map10: I've made it easier (I think) to guide the tracers to the furthest cacodemon (attempting to account for the unexpected behavior of tracers to stop following at the last second)
  • Map11: Reworked the rocket launcher secret (previously it had not counted toward secret % until spawned in)
  • Map12: There are now several lava floors and dart-shooting pillars scattered throughout the labyrinth
  • Map12: Secret SSG is now a plasma gun
  • Map13: The shoot switch secret now contains a BFG and cell ammo, with the megasphere moved to a new secret
  • Map13: The initial shoot switch has been moved back and out of reach to hint at the need to shoot it
  • Map14: Parts of the floor now lower into lava with each new phase; all monster platforms now become accessible at the end of the map for cover or grabbing health bonuses
  • Map15: Removed green armor in the big hell knight ambush and replaced with a blue armor secret
  • Map15: Replaced the secret unmaker with cell ammo and added a new unmaker secret requiring the blue key
  • Map16: To encourage traveling the full circuits of the arena, the weapons now spawn on higher steps
  • Map17: Motherdemons will now teleport into the final fight if awoken during the earlier sections, making the fight nigh-impossible
  • Map17: A new secret is available in the final motherdemon temple
  • Map18: The platforms in the damaging floor area are now closer together
  • Map18: Three secrets added to provide enough weaponry and ammo to kill the cyberdemon
  • Map19: The two barrel bridges have become raising sectors to make them work with vanilla Doom 64 compatibility settings
  • Map19: The walkway housing the red key now has a raised half-wall along its sides to prevent falling (previously falling off would cause a silent teleport to your death as it does in Map20 and 23)
  • Map19: You should no longer be able to skip the majority of the third island by triggering a lift from the wrong side
  • Map20: There is now an additional secret past the blue door, and the soulsphere secret includes a major sequence break to get the yellow key without solving the last puzzle
  • Map21: Now titled "Prismatagoria", a slight... correction(?) from "Prismatigoria"
  • Map21: Two new secrets
  • Map22: Three new secrets
  • Map24: The delays between waves have been drastically shortened and the blue key has been replaced with a shoot switch
  • Map24: Replaced the secret megasphere with an invulnerability
  • Map25: Added a brief sequence after collecting the soulsphere to allow crushers to kill the marine bots for 100% kills
  • Map25: There's now a single secret to appease secret-hunters
  • Map25: Now uses the title map music
  • Map26: This is an entirely new map titled "The Void Dreams of Huge Guts"
  • Map27: Moved the first soulsphere to a "secret" placement and added another secret in the first area
  • Map28: Merged two of the cyberdemon phases into one and sped up pacing, but weaker enemies spawn more frequently
  • Map28: Now uses the main menu music
  • Map28: Added a tricky secret with invuln spheres in it
  • Map29: Scripts were sped up slightly
  • Map30: New secret added and the secret soulsphere has been removed
  • Map31: Corrected an oversight where the player always had access to the chaingun regardless of the path selected
  • Map31: Items accessed by the second random switch have been changed so that they don't count toward item % (making 100% items possible)
  • Map32: Re-designated which sectors count as secret, which has reduced the total number of secrets from 6 to 5

Hotfix 1/4/21 (unmaking_fix.wad)

• Map02: Replaced secret blue armor with a soulsphere (carrying 200 armor into the next map can prevent picking up a critical item)
  • Map07: Corrected oversight on skills 1 and 2 where the second wave of the sewer room fight would not spawn, making the map impossible to complete without cheating
  • Map17: Untagged two switch sectors which had accidentally been tied to a door-close action and would sometimes be found temporarily closed and displaying a missing texture
  • Map29: Moved spawned items closer to the player (they were a bit finicky to pick up)

des this work with GZDoom?

6 minutes ago, Johnny Cruelty said:

des this work with GZDoom?

It does not. If you want the GZDoom version then you'll need to get Doom CE and use the version that is specifically made for that. Details in the link below: