Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Lone Wolf

How many book have you read in total and which is/are your favorites ?

Hello people, I hope you are all fine and happy. Also, happy new years to all of you. As the title states, what books you love most and please explain "why ?" shortly if possible. I know doom-general forums is open for doom-related topics and discussions. However, in my opinion this is also a very general and open topic too. Why exactly ? Cause, books are mostly people's biggest and important sources for their morals, dreams and ideologies, insperations. So, I think we can discuss this matter here.

My favorite book is The Alchemist written by Paulo Coelho.

The number of books I read in total are 217.

The books I also want to mention about;

1- The white fang by Jack London

2- Moby-Dick by Herman Melville

3- The painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski

4- A tale of 2 cities by Charles Dickens

5- My left foot by Jim Sheridan

6- The Paul Street Boys by Ferenc Molnar

I am very curious about what our community loves to read.

I have no idea of how many books I've ready, but the last three books have all been related to film - and I've enjoyed all three.

Nobody does it better, a 50 year oral history of the Bond-franchise

A Long time ago in a cutting room far, far away - Memoires of Paul Hirsch, the editor of among other things Star Wars

True Indie - Memoires of Don Coscarelli, filmmaker

I think this should probably be in "Everything Else" or "Electionchat Elsewhere" as it's now known.

Anyway, no idea how many books I've read. Not nearly as many as I'd like, I keep intending to read more, then I end up getting distracted. It's kind of hard for me to find a book that really keeps my attention. I do have a few that have stood out as my absolute favorites though, those being The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (I just lump all five books together), Catch-22, and Crime and Punishment. 

No idea how many books I’ve read, though one of my favourite books is “The Vagrant” by Peter Newman. Fantastic dark fantasy with a compelling plot and characters. The protagonist is a mute, too.

Also got no idea how many I've actually read. The ones that stand out in my memory (just now that I'm thinking about it):

Umberto Eco - The Name of the Rose

Graham Greene - The third man

Gaston Leroux - The Phantom of the Opera

Algernon Blackwood - The Willows

Robert E. Howard - Conan (I know, strictly speaking not a book. More a collection of short stories.)

Jean-Christophe Grangé - Blood Red Rivers

H. P. Lovecraft - Also more a collection of short stories

Stanisław Lem - Solaris

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/74890315

According to that page, i'm 40 books away to reach 500 book readed.

Half or so of them are reviewed, as i readed a lot of those book before joining Goodreads.

As for me, my favourite book is Gargantua & Pantagruel, by the French satirist clergyman François Rabelais.

Why i love it? Well its the basis for all the literature to come later, even when Rabelais was using just something that was use long before him (Menippean Satire), he painted a world like no other. Mocking on every aspect of our lives and founding ways to show how gigantic and dwardfish is the humanity at times.

Adventure, laugh, critic, laugh, love, laugh, judgement, laugh. There is no topic this man doesn't touched and mocked about.

The last two books i read are The Buddenbrooks / The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann on the same volume...1600 pages, like two months reading it slowly and really enjoying it. It come a moment i didn't want the book to end, i wanted for more, but the story of Hans Castorp has an open ending. Marvelous book for sure.

The other one is Jean Barois by Roger Martin du Gard, a very distant relative that won the Nobel Prize on 1937.

Seems like the ideas on that book are into the blood of our family, as before reading it or knowing about it, i was writing similar things to it.

My other two favourite authors are Gustav Meyrink, author of ''The Golem'', ''Walpurgis Night'', and other books that delve into the spiritual realization / humanistic living matters. But he was also an excellent satirical poet. Some of the best serious jokes i read in a good while.

The other one is John Fowles, writer of ''The Collector'', ''The Magus'', and ''A Maggot'' beside others.

The Collector was my first ''mature'' read. The first non genre book i read without expecting anything, and it give me everything. It lead me to delve into the postmodernism. But no other postmodernist author, nor Thomas Pynchon, nor Umberto Eco, nor Alasdair Gray, nor Haruki Murakami made books and plots like John Fowles. So vivid, so true. Those authors i mentioned are true geniouses of their art, but John Fowles may be above even, as he was one of the few authors that stood on the line between modernism and postmodernism, making books that shaped the literature to come.

Unfortunatelly, he isn't that popular because ''The Collector''  led some psychopats to imitate, or be inspired by what he wrote.

Quoting wikipedia, ''In several cases since the novel was published, serial killers, spree killers, kidnappers, and other criminals have claimed that The Collector was the basis, the inspiration, or the justification for their crimes''.

And thus, John Fowles, fade into obscurity. :(

Other authors and books i really love are:

-Arthur Machen - The Hill of Dreams / The Secret Glory (Best decadent author. Far better than Oscar Wilde at his best)

-Lord Dunsany - Guerrilla (a really underappreciated novel by Dunsany, excellent after living two world wars)

-Roland Topor - The Tenant (Kafka a la France)

-E.T.A. Hoffman - Tomcat Murr (German satirist and polymath, unfortunatelly, this book remains unfinished)

-Sadegh Hedayat - The Blind Owl / Three Drops of Blood (take Edgar Allan Poe, and merge it with Franz Kafka, and you will cought a glympse of what this author write off)

-John Franklin Bardin - The Deadly Percheron / The Last of Philip Banter / Devil Take the Blue-Tail Fly (imagine if David Lynch wrote books, and they were actually good, well this is something like that)

-Edmond Rostand - Cyrano de Bergerac (poetry play? theatre of poetry? take that to eleven and you will have this satire, love story, war story all in one stage).

-Nikolai Gogol - Dead Souls and short stories (The capote is the best short story ever, and Dead Souls crushed me like no other)

-Juan Rulfo - Pedro Paramo (the best spanish writer since Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra)

-Albert Camus - The Plague (ahead of his time, Camus left a really deep impact on our time showing the absurdity around)

-Fyodor Dostoievsky - The Idiot (think of Don Quixote on Rusia, on the cold cold Rusia)

The pandemy got me starting reading Jose Saramago's ''Blindness'', and the similarities between that book and what we live throught all this months are atonishing, bordering our most horrendous fear.

I simply love to read. I read like four hours a day. And all that aknowledge work, thats for sure.

Whenever i faced a moment in my life that was hard or something, i clinged to a book, and i always found answers and points of view that led me to better understanding of my surroundings.

Hope some day my own books serves that way to other people on similar situations to me.

Hmm strange, i really remember the last two Books of my Vacation 2017.

Ironicly it was the third Doom Book and Rendezvous with Rama.

Doom wasn't really good, it went its own Road with that one and changed the origin of the Demons to Aliens (Why are they afraid of Hell?).

Bought that Book because it was dedicated to Arnold Schwarzenegger...

I also remember that the german Translation was bad, they translated Alien to Extraterrestrial instead of Stranger (the Baby i Carry feels alien to me)

Rendezvous with Rama is really good, can recommend it.

I don't read much, but when I do, it's a very specific kind of book where it actually grips me and it also aligns with my interests.

So aka only like 6 series/books if you don't include strategy guides for starcraft/minecraft.

1. The Mistmantle Cornicles
2. Ready Player One
3. Warrior Cats (I fell off after "The Prophecies Begin", I've been meaning to try and read it again.)

My favorite books are:

1) Redwall by Brian Jacques. Highly recommend this one, very detailed and a wonderful story of good friends and evil enemies all told in a very descriptive manner.

2) Eragon by Christopher Paolini. Pretty good book, very descriptive as well. The story is wonderful, and the deeds the bad guys do really makes you know how evil they are. The story is very captivating, and I found myself not wanting to put it down. You'll always be on the edge of your seat if you read this one.

And 3) Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving. Very good book, I found myself crying at the end. You get a feeling of being in Rip's shoes, and the story its self is very good.

I'd HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend all of these, all are so good. 

How many? No idea. A lot. My favorites would be those written by John Douglas about criminal profiling. 

the dark tower.

part 1.

I liked it because it was uh something I never expected, really.

Well, I also read some of Eragus first volume loooong time ago.

Also "The Diary of a Wimpy Kid" up to Volume.. 13? after a friend showed me them many years ago.

Aside that, I just read mangas - Deadman Wonderland which I read a few after watching the anime, and all of Knights of Sidonia after both seasons of the anime.

Apart from my collection of historical atlases, I primarily consume SFF. Some of my favourites include:

The Alliance/Union universe by C.J Cherryh, a sociopolitical space opera series that spans centuries of fictional history across 20+ books. I love the series for its realistic and holistic approach to both characters and world-building. Grounded and well-executed high-concepts, rigorous attention to detail and a pervasive sense of humanity define these books in my mind. The series can also largely be read out of order, with each story having its own distinct cast and plot whilst simultaneously contributing to the larger narrative.

The Murderbot series by Martha Wells, a series of novellas depicting the (mis)adventures of the titular character. Murderbot is one of my favourite characters of all time, endearing, funny, tragic and kind of an arse. The books are a joy to read, fast-paced, witty and soulful.

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkien, a timeless and immortal epic, the progenitor of the High Fantasy genre itself. Few books take me out of this world like LotR, enveloping me in epic fantasy through its beautiful prose.

The Uplift universe by David Brin, a wild, colourful and insanely imaginative series, defined by its immensely original and endearing aliens, lively characters and brilliant high-concepts. The best part, in my opinion, are the genetically-modified, sapient dolphins, which have a fully-developed and distinct society and culture, including their own language, which they use to sing sonar poems called 'Trinary Haikus'. That level of originality is pervasive throughout every aspect of Uplift, and conveyed in a witty and enthusiastic manner.

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan, the longest genre fiction series in the world (~4,400,000 words, over 9x longer than Lord of the Rings). In many ways, WoT is a spiritual successor to LotR, but with blackjack and hookers (almost literally). The series is truly enormous, with well over a dozen major perspective characters, each with lengthy character arcs and detailed inner world. Its world is also vast and incredibly detailed, with everything from the architecture to the clothes to the food from over twenty nations described in detail. All of this is conveyed with excellent prose, and comes to light organically (most of the time) as it becomes relevant to the lumbering juggernaut of a plot.

Read most of Shirley Jackson's works a few months ago and absolutely loved all of it. Currently reading Dune Messiah.

10 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Unfortunatelly, he isn't that popular because ''The Collector''  led some psychopats to imitate, or be inspired by what he wrote.

Quoting wikipedia, ''In several cases since the novel was published, serial killers, spree killers, kidnappers, and other criminals have claimed that The Collector was the basis, the inspiration, or the justification for their crimes''.

The problem I find with that statement is that criminals and psychopaths often like to redirect the blame for their crime to draw attention away from their wrongdoing, such as when a man hijacked a bus/ taxi and blamed GTA 4 as a result of being caught. The columbine shooting, as we all know, was another example of this. Redirect blame to avoid facing the actual cause of the problem,e.g mental health issues.

Glad to see I’m not the only big reader on DoomWorld.

Books I've read, ever?  No idea.  A lot.  I read 123 books in 2020, which was actually quite a bit less than the year before that.

Some 200+ books in my lifetime I think. Most of them before the age of raging puberty 14.

Not entirely sure which are my favorites, there is much to like from different things depending on what they aim for. But I'll give it a shot (no specific order):

• It by Stephen King. Haven't read it since I was 13 but it's the only book ever to be able to creep me out, which should count for something. Honorable mention to his Dreamcatcher, boy did the movie do that piece a disservice.
  • Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. Urban, abstract fantasy with touches of Alice in Wonderland, I think.
  • The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. I seem to be the only one I know who actually likes it, but there's depth to the romance in this, as well as the titular character's suffering, that is hard to come by.
  • Mistborn (3-part series) by Brandon Sanderson. Extraordinarily good for being YA-oriented (I think at least?). I actually read this at the age of 26 and thought I would disregard it after the first book (I tend to be rather picky) but it stuck with me.
  • Kallocain by Karin Boye. If you want dystopian novels this is a given. Preceded 1984* by almost ten years, and written by a Swede.
  • A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick. A bit better than the already solid movie. Probably counts as dystopian.
  • The City and the City as well as Embassytown by China Miéville. The latter is way more intriguing in my opinion, but is almost too abstract. The former can be read as usual whereas the latter requires attentative reading almost by paragraph.
  • The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Though I advice you to stay away from this unless you can, like I can, be satisfied with unfinished series (looking at you, Martin) as it's been nine years since the latter, and the third one is still not published.
  • Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. A very focused take on pre-colonial Africa that also manages to be entertaining. Just be prepared that there's lots of talking about yam.
  • V for Vendetta by Alan Moore. It's a graphic novel, and not very long, but holy balls is it good. And I already liked the movie. This is way better.

That's all I can think of at the moment. There's probably more. An honorable mention to The Serpentwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist - he made me realize how expansive literature could be back when I was like 12. In honesty though, it's standard YA fantasy fare, so basically I advice to only pick it up if you're into that kind of stuff.

* I actually won't list either 1984 nor Animal Farm by George Orwell. They're such a known quantity by now that it felt sort of redundant to read them at all. I basically got nothing out of them that I hadn't already learnt from years of people discussing them...

Edit: I forgot War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells. That's a personal favorite though I can't exactly explain why.

12 hours ago, Stocki said:

Also got no idea how many I've actually read. The ones that stand out in my memory (just now that I'm thinking about it):

Umberto Eco - The Name of the Rose

Graham Greene - The third man

Gaston Leroux - The Phantom of the Opera

Algernon Blackwood - The Willows

Robert E. Howard - Conan (I know, strictly speaking not a book. More a collection of short stories.)

Jean-Christophe Grangé - Blood Red Rivers

H. P. Lovecraft - Also more a collection of short stories

Stanisław Lem - Solaris

Forgot about The Name of the Rose. It's great.

...also forgot about Lovecraft, since I've only read one (two, maybe?) of his stories, but I really enjoyed The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.

52 minutes ago, Silhou3tte said:

The problem I find with that statement is that criminals and psychopaths often like to redirect the blame for their crime to draw attention away from their wrongdoing, such as when a man hijacked a bus/ taxi and blamed GTA 4 as a result of being caught. The columbine shooting, as we all know, was another example of this. Redirect blame to avoid facing the actual cause of the problem,e.g mental health issues.

Glad to see I’m not the only big reader on DoomWorld.

Situations like those are the worst, for sure.

I totally hate that someone that just use his creativity making art takes the blame.

Thats why a lot of authors of nowdays tend to ''fantasize'' the medium.

But authors that write on the ''realistic'' side of the coin, well, they have it hard most of the time.

Once ago, i was reading Dashiell Hammett's Red Harvest, a simple crime story, at the waiting room of my main doctor's consulting's room, and a man asked why i was reading such horrible theme of stories. I answered that i liked the suspense, and also knowing a little about how is the lowlife turf of other times, and to my surprise, the man just answered that i better take a turn with a psychologist as me liking that is because something is wrong in my head. And then recommended me something more, serious, like DaVinci's Code...

I just lowered my sight and continue reading, what can i answer back to someone that only wanted to be offensive without even knowing what he is talking about?

Most people can't cope with reality, even when it is fiction.

For example, horror by today standars is more about ''cosmic'' things ''shattering minds, or just some kind of monster lurking in the dark. Okay, there are backstories of the character to make us emphatize with them, but then Poe wrote ton of deeply psychological horror stories almost without any fantasy overtone. Especially the Tell-tale Heart.

And Henry James's Turn of the Screw blow most people brains with how deep it could go without even having something ''scary'' stalking the protagonist.

But nope, nowdays we have kinda a ''fetish-ism'' horror. Clowns, Sea-like creatures, Slimey-creatures, witches, demons, etc.

I didn't have the oportunity to read Jason Moss's The Last Victim as it isn't translated to my language (spanish), as i have a serious liking for good translations as it let translators show how damn good our language can be use when properly known. But i watched the film base on it, ''Dear, Mr. Gacy'', and holy fuck, thats more horror than anything King could wrote, not because its non-fiction, because if one doesn't know about that, even as a fictitious story, it seems realistic and mind breaking as hell.

32 minutes ago, Capellan said:

Books I've read, ever?  No idea.  A lot.  I read 123 books in 2020, which was actually quite a bit less than the year before that.

And what was the last one? did you like it?

26 minutes ago, Cinnamon Killjoy said:

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. A very focused take on pre-colonial Africa that also manages to be entertaining. Just be prepared that there's lots of talking about yam.

Oh, i want to read that book really bad. Unfortunatelly, i am a ''collector'' of books, and that particular book is one of the greatest ever wrote, so i search for a good hard cover edition, but there is no one on my language, all of them are just paperback... and on really bad translations :/

I actually won't list either 1984 nor Animal Farm by George Orwell. They're such a known quantity by now that it felt sort of redundant to read them at all. I basically got nothing out of them that I hadn't already learnt from years of people discussing them...

Readed'em, didn't made much for me. 1984 shows the fear of being controlled and watched. A lot of people grow with that fear, mix it with politics and you have a good cocktail, and Wells wrote of it in a really good way. But i found it not that satisfactory.

On the other hand, if you haven't read it, i recommend you Aldus Huxley's Brave New World. Orson Wells wrote 1984 as an answer to that book.

Fear of being watched or controlled? Huxley shows what more horrifying could be if we didn't even care about that, to the point of didn't even thinking on anything.

Serious mind screw ;)

I forgot War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells. That's a personal favorite though I can't exactly explain why.

Good one, i really liked it, too. The Time Machine and the Invisible Man are his best for me.

18 minutes ago, Cinnamon Killjoy said:

Check Eco's Foucault's Pendulum if you can. Kinda on the same line and totally mind blowing!

I stopped keeping track at Goodreads last year, so my counter stopped at about 850. Quite a lot! However, I'm nowhere near the voracious reader I used to be. Unfortunately, being in a comfortable living situation, where I have access to the internet and video games 24/7, might have something to do with it...

The books I'd rate 5 stars include the following:
G. K. Chesterton - The Man Who Was Thursday
H. Melville - Moby-Dick
S. Lem - The Cyberiad
A. Christie - And Then There Were None/Ten Little Indians
T. Jansson - The Moomins (entire series)
P. K. Dick - Ubik
R. Kipling - Kim

And, um, a whole lot of others you probably haven't heard of. *hipster glasses on*

30 minutes ago, Cinnamon Killjoy said:

...also forgot about Lovecraft, since I've only read one (two, maybe?) of his stories, but I really enjoyed The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.

I remember that one. The entire part where

Spoiler

the protagonist explores the dark catacomb

gave me serious Amnesia: The Dark Descent vibes.

54 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Once ago, i was reading Dashiell Hammett's Red Harvest, a simple crime story, at the waiting room of my main doctor's consulting's room, and a man asked why i was reading such horrible theme of stories. I answered that i liked the suspense, and also knowing a little about how is the lowlife turf of other times, and to my surprise, the man just answered that i better take a turn with a psychologist as me liking that is because something is wrong in my head

I hate people like that. They assume that because you watch/play/read X Book, film or game media, that makes you a psychopath, or something worse.

The form of media you enjoy does not define your personality, mannerisms or actions.

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

Poe wrote ton of deeply psychological horror stories almost without any fantasy overtone. Especially the Tell-tale Heart.

I Must get around to reading Poe's works. I love psychological horror.

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Killjoy said:

I'd recommend The Shadow over Innsmouth, Pickman's model  and the Dreams in the witch house. The last one is truly terrifying. 

I used to read way more when I was younger and I am now trying to resurrect this habit. I love Sci-Fi and Arthur C. Clarke's stories are probably my favourite.

I'm re-reading Pratchett mostly. Like in circles (can't say for sure how many times I read each book, it's in tens, at least). Sprinkle with some old detectives sometimes.

19 minutes ago, incel said:

I'm re-reading Pratchett mostly. Like in circles (can't say for sure how many times I read each book, it's in tens, at least). Sprinkle with some old detectives sometimes.

I love Pratchett, but his books are really expensive here where i live (Argentina).

I was able to get the Nome Trilogy on bargain price, not even read, but those three books were prized like just one Discworld book :/

I love his humor and satire.

All that mixed with fantasy and even a little sci-fy make for really awesome reads.

18 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

I love Pratchett, but his books are really expensive here where i live (Argentina).

I'm such a nutcase, I have most of the paperbacks in the original, plus translated editions I read to laugh at the mistakes.

For marathons I'm using an old e-book.

I was able to get the Nome Trilogy on bargain price, not even read, but those three books were prized like just one Discworld book :/

That's like the only books I read twice or thrice, I usually skip 'em.

I love his humor and satire.

Top notch stuff.

All that mixed with fantasy and even a little sci-fy make for really awesome reads.

That's the one of the few fantasy I can stomach, probably, because it's written by the guy, who hated fantasy ))). Died too soon. Watching his style deteriorate, was a real pain and really a cruel joke of the universe. One thing I'm sore about is that I skipped the authograph session he had, because the line was too long (I thought there'd be another chance). Like, wtf, old me?

-[UPD]-

If anybody wants to try his Discworld books, but don't want to start from the time he was finding his footing, his 25th through 35th is a pinacle of his work, IMHO.

Edited by incel : spacing, upd

5 hours ago, incel said:

If anybody wants to try his Discworld books, but don't want to start from the time he was finding his footing, his 25th through 35th is a pinacle of his work, IMHO.

Now that you said it, i remember that a neighbour, in exchange for me sharing my Dragonlance book with him, share with me three of his Discworld books.

-The Colour of Magic 9/10 (read this one on english and have a lot of fun)

-Pyramids 8/10 (this one in spanish, but it was a blast reading non stop)

-Going Postal 8/10 (on english, too. Remember LOL on the street with this a people looking me like i was a sick nerd :P)

Can't help to think of all the books i will, probably, never read... unles i hit the lottery or find a lucrative job. I think i have better chances at winning the lottery :)

i am a huge fan of Edgar Allan Poe, and i also liked the percy jackson novels when i was in elementary school.

oh and this topic belongs more in everything el..... ehem!  "Electionchat elsewhere" [i still dont understand that name]

I don't read much anymore, but last year I read the two mistborn trilogies by Brandon Sanderson, as well as the first two books in his Stormlight Archives series. That dude quickly jumped up to my favorite fantasy author. Such unique magic systems and likeable characters.

The Book Thief was also a good one I've recently read.

7 hours ago, Deathclaw886 said:

Electionchat elsewhere" [i still dont understand that name]

It used to be “Everything Else” but my guess is that people were either arguing about the US elections, or were warned not to.

58 minutes ago, Silhou3tte said:

It used to be “Everything Else” but my guess is that people were either arguing about the US elections, or were warned not to.

I visited on election night before the name was changed. Kudos to the mod/mods who got in front of that shit train before it left Colonic Station.