Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Valhen

Infested Base - A boom compatible map for Doom II

Hi Doomworld!

This is the first wad I have ever published for Doom. It is a small tech base map that I originally made back in early 2020, but I am just now releasing it here. The wad is Boom compatible, tested it with PrBoom+ (-complevel9) and Zandronum, so it should run on most Boom compatible sourceports.

The difficulty is around same level of Doom II, with other difficulty options (and Co-op monsters) available.

Anyways, here are some screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210101_191415.png.50f07a360b05ae86f7be714248c86205.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210101_191548.png.94c710f0c6d1cf8a2ecd833fc09811ce.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210101_191711.png.62e396076bdd61dd1bdb544da1a9695c.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210101_191647.png.2637216dbc55512d3c942e2b4c698d59.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210101_191455.png.2828c38aadb2d6a8607ce2e61e86027e.png

Download:

infbase.zip

Credits:

- Extra sprites from Skulltag (skulltag_data.pk3)

- Textures from 32in24-15_tex_v2.wad

- D_DM2TTL and D_RUNNIN from the game "Astrobatics", by KraiSoft Entertainment

- D_DM2INT from the game "Alien Sky", also by KraiSoft Entertainment

Hope you enjoy!

Edited by Valhen : Changed the rar file to a zip file

Layout & Design: 8/10 

Great layout and design. The way that rooms flow and manage to loop back into each other is a nice touch, making the entire map feel more complex or whatever. I don't have the right word for it but is good.

Gameplay: 7/10

I didn't have any major complaints about the gameplay, but there are some tiny nitpicks I have. I like how the blue key room lowers down to open up the map, that's an interesting effect. Also, the buffed firerate for the pistol is nice.

Detailing: 9/10

Does detailing very well. There is room for improvement, but I doubt it's a lot of room. Great job!

Overall: 8.5/10

Yeah I don't have much else to say here; I'm tired

Tiny Nitpicks:

• How the hell do you get to the blue armor? I tried to get to it but quit after realizing it wasn't worth the time.
  • You can run quickly to cover and turn the fight into a shooting gallery in the blue key room.
  • The rocket launcher should have more attention towards it; players can go past it without even realizing it's there. I was wondering why I got rockets at the exit on my 1st playthrough.

Lovely little techbase map. Combat's a little hum-drum for the most part, but gets a bit more interesting towards the end. I liked the Soulsphere secret/trap and I thought the general layout of the map and your texture work was really solid. Really promising stuff here.

On 1/2/2021 at 12:44 AM, thelazyqdude said:

How the hell do you get to the blue armor? I tried to get to it but quit after realizing it wasn't worth the time.

Spoiler

There is a secret switch behind one of the two pillars. Pressing it lowers the blue armor (and from that secret you can unlock another secret)

You can run quickly to cover and turn the fight into a shooting gallery in the blue key room.

Yeah, I added a lift there to make looping through the map less annoying and didn't notice that the player could just stand there >.<. I'm guessing that sourceports without mouselook and with infinite tall actors make that trick is useless.

The rocket launcher should have more attention towards it; players can go past it without even realizing it's there. I was wondering why I got rockets at the exit on my 1st playthrough. 

Looking back, you are right. I should have added something to show it's there.

On 1/2/2021 at 1:09 AM, Snark said:

Very nice. Keep 'em coming. 

I sure will :) (if I don't get too lazy :P)

On 1/2/2021 at 3:06 AM, Biodegradable said:

Lovely little techbase map. Combat's a little hum-drum for the most part, but gets a bit more interesting towards the end. I liked the Soulsphere secret/trap and I thought the general layout of the map and your texture work was really solid. Really promising stuff here. 

Glad you enjoyed it! I will try to make the enemy encounters more interesting for my next wad.

Edited by Valhen

Here is my recorded playthrough with some commentary/critique:

I think this is a great example of how taking some time with your first published map can yield some great results. As other commenters have said, the combat can be a little flat at times, but the traps still manage to surprise and the map is certainly engaging. Visually, it is very well put together. The actual layout/design of the map and its progression itself is also fairly thoughtful, as I kind of detail in the video. I would love to see more maps from you!

Thanks for the review! To answer some stuff in the video, the reason there were custom monsters and weapons was because I was originally gonna make a 8 level episode, but I kinda got lazy, and just released this level alone. You can still get the minigun by either going to the secret super shotgun area and killing the chaingunners there or just using Co-op monsters. I am currently making a second map, and hopefully the combat will be better... or worse, hopefully it's better ._.

Spoiler

The first way you pronounced my name is the correct way :)

Also, I recommend playing with -solo-net, since Co-op has stronger monsters, probably making the map more exciting.

Enjoy the video. I liked the music used as well for the gameplay. The pistol's rate of fire is another good thing to consider as well. The only criticism that I have is the fact that some monsters are located in the secrets but, that's not a problem if the player want to clear the map for the first time. Also, it's well detailed for a first-timer map, good stuff.

Nice video! The way you talked through in-game text was pretty interesting.

Spoiler

The enemies you missed were in a secret you almost got. You had to shoot the computer [7:55] and then return to the previous room/intersection. Also, you almost saw my secret message near the start [8:36] (and you could see it on the automap) :)

Everybody else made videos so I did to

I'm really bad at finding things but I'm good at running away from fights:

Glad you enjoyed it! I might make the secrets more obvious for my next map, because it seems that I hid them too well...