Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smeghammer

Hexen format, Floor_LowerByValue - lower more than 255 units?

Question

Greetings (and happy new year!!) Doom dudes!

As the title says - how do I set a Floor_LowerByValue(tag,speed,dist) line special to lower by a greater value than 255 units? Tried in a few editors - seems to be a hard limit to Hexen format?

5 answers to this question

29 minutes ago, smeghammer said:

Greetings (and happy new year!!) Doom dudes!

As the title says - how do I set a Floor_LowerByValue(tag,speed,dist) line special to lower by a greater value than 255 units? Tried in a few editors - seems to be a hard limit to Hexen format?

Use 36:Floor_LowerByValueTimes8 (tag, speed, height)

Fb9JUCN.png

darn, ninja'd

Not sure how it is in vanilla hexen, but at least if you use a zdoom compatible engine, another way to get around the 1 byte limitation is by executing a script, and then using the same Floor_LowerByValue(tag,speed,dist) inside the script where it'll work with values greater than 255. Might be useful in the odd case where you need to move the floor by an amount that is not a multiple of 8, yet is greater than 255.

14 minutes ago, Worst said:

Not sure how it is in vanilla hexen, but at least if you use a zdoom compatible engine, another way to get around the 1 byte limitation is by executing a script, and then using the same Floor_LowerByValue(tag,speed,dist) inside the script where it'll work with values greater than 255. Might be useful in the odd case where you need to move the floor by an amount that is not a multiple of 8, yet is greater than 255.

Thanks for that - useful info. I thought about trying it with a script to see if the 1bit limit was Hexen format or general (I use GZDoom exclusively) - but @boris and @Kappes Buur suggested the simple solution I missed. my floor levels are multiples of 8, so all good. I went a bit nuts with ACS on my first couple of maps in May last year, and I'm trying to only use it where needed, rather than as the default way of doing something funky.