Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pegleg

IronEagle Competition 27: The Classic Episode

Category 2 (based on the first half of the first level), HNTR difficulty, survived in 46:41. Recorded in complevel 2 since that was in the OP.
Note: I needed to pause the game for 5ish minutes at the start of E2M9

00ironeagle_horus.zip

On 1/3/2021 at 3:15 PM, Capellan said:

I'll be streaming on the morning of Sunday 10th, my time - Google tells me it'll be 5pm EST on Saturday 9th when I start.  Link below.  I'll post again shortly before starting.

https://youtu.be/I6Z62TNqKL0

Streaming in about an hour

Going live pretty much now

Edit: HMP, cat 2, dead on E2M4 in about 40 minutes.  Don't know what my monster killed count was; I don't use a port that reports that.

Edited by Capellan

1 hour ago, Capellan said:

I don't use a port that reports that.

What port do you use?

2 hours ago, Pegleg said:

What port do you use?

PrBoom+

Now you are probably going to tell me I can turn it on somewhere, aren't you?  Not that I generally want to - I prefer not to know these things while actually playing!

3 hours ago, Capellan said:

PrBoom+

Now you are probably going to tell me I can turn it on somewhere, aren't you?  Not that I generally want to - I prefer not to know these things while actually playing!

I use PrBoom+. I have the number of enemies displayed when I bring up the automap (of course, PrBoom+ doesn't count lost souls). I assumed that was a default setting, but you can enable and disable it. That is done (at least in v. 2.5.1.4) by Options -> Setup -> Automap -> Show Statistics (not the full title, but it's the first thing in the menu).

I don't have a problem with you playing without showing that. I can appreciate why you wouldn't want to know how many enemies there were in the map. However, for the purposes of this competition, you could always turn it on upon your death, record the number of kills, and then turn it off again. I think that would be an perfectly viable option.

Before I realized that the kill count was displayed on the automap (because I came from the old school of Doom in the 90's on DOS that didn't display that, so I never thought about it), for the first Ironman competition I participated in (Double Impact way back in 2018), I actually played the demo over and counted the number of monsters I killed before I died.

Category 1, UV, prboom+

Died on Map 4 at ~37:37, 87/122 kills. Surrounded and eaten by a pinky. I was doing OK plinking away with my single shotgun until then..

Quite fun maps, definitely reminiscent of Doom E1/2.

ironeagle_pumperstew.zip

Blind attempt.  This is one the inaugural PWADs on the COMPET-N way, way back and the only Ultimate Doom one.  Not having Ultimate Doom back then (or ever), I've never played it.  This attempt is recorded in PrBoom+ with FreeDoom as the IWAD.  Dropped down the HMP to take it easy on a blind recording.

Died a Really Stupid Death in M6 after over an hour and a half.  Not going to say anything about the details.  Seems that every other Baron is either skipped or slowly ground down with the shotgun, zzzzz...  -complevel 3

ironeagle_classep_cnr.zip

Thank you to everyone who participated in this month's IronEagle, making this the most popular month yet. Yes, it's now March when I'm actually writing this, so thank you for everyone who came back for February's IronEagle.

Without further ado, here are the results for IronEagle 27.

UV

1. Daerik (Survived +1)
  2. Veinen (Survived +1)
  3. Bdubzzz (Survived +1)
  4. Aquila Chrysaetos (Survived +1)
  5. Rotwang (Survived +1)
  6. galileo31dos01 (Survived +1)
  7. leodoom85 (Survived +1)
  8. Suitepee (E2M7)
  9. NoisyVelvet (E2M6)
  10. Xenaero (E2M4)
  11. Pseudonaut (E2M4)
  12. pumperstew (E2M4)
  13. akolai (E2M3)
  14. mtthew (E2M1)

HMP

1. BoxY (Survived)
  2. Crusader No Regret (E2M6)
  3. Capellan (E2M4)

HNTR

1. Horus (Survived +1)
  2. Andromeda (Survived +1)
  3. Major Arlene (E2M8)
  4. Pegleg (E2M8)
  5. dei_eldren (E2M2)

On 1/2/2021 at 10:38 PM, Pegleg said:

HNTR

1. Pegleg             42 points (I removed the six months when I was the only participant)
  2. @kalaeth        32 points

oh wow. 2021 I almost didn't play, but I intend to play more this year, so we'll see if I can dethrone you as the king of HNTR!