Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mordeth

Doom Pictures Thread 2021

@StormCatcher.77

Thank you kindly! The textures are mostly from cr8tex as observed by Chainie, but there is some stray OTEX, GothicTx and Knave (another Quake pack) textures in there. The red brick variants are actually a combination of a Knave brick tex with some of the cr8tex trims I frankensteined together, so as a combo they're unique to this level.

I think just the hanging vines are OTEX? 

The shots are obviously absurdly nice, and I personally appreciate the murky and diffuse in everything from visuals to music, so I'm a little reluctant to say this, BUT: The uniform color and brightness of these makes the geometry a little bit hard to read. By using a slightly more contrasting trim, a little bit more brightness variation, a FLAT with a tiny bit more brightness, or introducing an additional hue you could improve this drastically. Sky and water already help with this and could perhaps be utilized further.

The "readability" of a scene or shot is a very high priority in filmmaking as well as modern game design, and I do appreciate that Doom is very free to ignore things like that. But in this case I think you're so close to perfection that I have to mention it. 

3 hours ago, Aurelius said:

[Architectural epicness]

Just looking at these, I'm getting hit with the inspiration hammer. I love it!

On 11/1/2021 at 2:00 AM, Remilia Scarlet said:

Those are the "3D Polyobjects" feature of K8Vavoom.  They're very similar to normal polyobjects, but... well, 3d.

haha yeah... I think Knave may be my favorite texture set ever.  Maybe I overuse it a bit, but I don't care, I love the gothic look of those textures so much <3

Very soon!  The map was a vanilla map I did for someone at the beginning of the year.  They canceled their project, so I'm just taking what is essentially a finished map, converting it to UDMF, and detailing/updating it for K8.  So I'm actually nearly done with it.

to be fair AFADoomer made a script for GZDoom that allowed VOXELS to behave in the same way and they work fine for stuff like moving boxes in all directions, platforms that the player can use and stand one and be transported upon etc.. exactly as I imagine the 3D polyobjects would work in k8vavoom

also it is possible to make 3d polyobject doors in GZDoom where the door does not have an infinite height, I did this in map 01 of gzfreedoom now called gzfreepunk

I will assume that complex 3d object doors made from a voxel could also be coded to function like a polyobject door as well.. I need to try this at some point...

old quote from another thread:

Re: Horizontally moving platforms

by AFADoomer » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:30 pm

Proof of concept, with voxel platform (that may look familiar...):
http://www.afadoomer.com/files/platform.pk3

Summon 'Platform' for a moving platform, or 'StaticPlatform' for a non-moving platform.

I also changed the code to use SetActorPosition and calculate movement based on the thing's defined speed, instead of using ThrustThing (movement was jerky and speed was hardcoded with ThrustThing).

from the zdoom forum thread (he made a rise of the triad platform)

and yes, those can be made placeable inside Ultimate Doom builder, I made a platform in map 01 of the now long abandoned GZDoom-1 CP that used this to make a platform that moved back and fourth to transport the player to the exit of the level

I can post a link to the thread if need be but it can also easily be found by searching... page 4 has the last version ever made for gzdoom-1

Edited by CBM

Talking about 3D polyobjects... and their imitation. I have long forgotten to publish one thing that I did back in April for the Tarsman's mapping contest. Map could not be completed, alas, so this idea will most likely go to Elementalism. Just wondering, has anyone done something like this on GZDoom before?

41 minutes ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

Talking about 3D polyobjects... and their imitation. I have long forgotten to publish one thing that I did back in April for the Tarsman's mapping contest. Map could not be completed, alas, so this idea will most likely go to Elementalism. Just wondering, has anyone done something like this on GZDoom before?

pretty cool

is it same concept as AFADoomer used but just rotating the voxel instead of moving it horizontally?

or are you using 3d models or some third option?

4 hours ago, CBM said:

or are you using 3d models or some third option?

Yes. In this case I use polyobject + 3D floor, providing a collision.
Rotating platform itself is made by the 3D model synchronized with polyobject movement by a script.
Alas, the platform "slips" under the player and I don't know how to fix it yet.

9 minutes ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

Yes. In this case I use polyobject + 3D floor, providing a collision.
Rotating platform itself is made by the 3D model synchronized with polyobject movement by a script.
Alas, the platform "slips" under the player and I don't know how to fix it yet.

have you tried just using a voxel and then rotate that?

maybe paired with a bridge item? (they are also available in UDMF maps despite their boom origin)

however a voxel in itself should provide pretty precise collision detection and handling

4 hours ago, CBM said:

have you tried just using a voxel and then rotate that?

I've never tried using voxels at all. And I don't even know how they work, but it seems worth paying attention to them ...
Same with the Bridge thing. Sound like an idea. Someday I'll try.

8 minutes ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

I've never tried using voxels at all. And I don't even know how they work, but it seems worth paying attention to them ...
Same with the Bridge thing. Sound like an idea. Someday I'll try.

Cool. Good luck!

Voxels are pretty easy to learn. It took me no more than about half an hour to figure them out.

You will need some software to convert 3D objects + their textures in to voxels.

Its like a collection of 3D pixels and the voxel has both its 'texture' and 'shape' in a single file.

On 11/3/2021 at 5:46 AM, HitelbeVettBor said:

Where can I download this? I like the idea of the lost soul fueled oven and the health potions in the fridge. :)

Eternal Doom by Team TNT (1997) - Map31: Monster Mansion by Jim Flynn.

Don't forget to look at the TV.  It's one of my all time favourite maps. :)

Screenshot_Heretic_20211106_191607.png.54dc1e713a1bfca761fca731a7fe1c7b.pngI  dont like to spoil my maps, but sometimes i really want to share my work. Its my map for Wadazin's master collection (WMC 04) Heresy. When i'll have free time, ill truly gonna finish it.

Pkn0W3M.jpg

I wanna make covers for wads that look sort of like a painting. Well, I don't know know the first thing about painting so it will be tricky. But maybe I don't have to give up.

31 minutes ago, OniriA said:

gorgeous screenshots

Holy geometry, Batman!!

I seriously thought these were pictures or another engine at immediate first glance. Some truly busy scenework you got goin on there! Love it

39 minutes ago, OniriA said:

Doom Raider

Superb stuff. Lighting is a bit flat though. It's very weird seeing the standard Doom water texture next to this fiesta of detail! I'm with @SiMpLeToNiUm - never seen anything quite like this in the Doom engine before.

21 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Wonderful stuff @OniriA! 

21 hours ago, SiMpLeToNiUm said:

Holy geometry, Batman!!

Love it

20 hours ago, holaareola said:

Superb stuff. never seen anything quite like this in the Doom engine before.

*Blushes*

Thank you so much for the appreciative comments, it's really motivating.