Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chainie

RDC Speedmapping Contest #23 - Voting Stage

GwoslWo.png

Speedmapping theme: Tech-hell/Digital hell + Doors and Flow/Stream(rivers, conveyors, scrolling floors..etc.)

There are 12 works (map01-map12) 
Build time: 4 hours

Iwad: Doom II
Port: Boom (prboom+ -complevel 9)
  You should give each map 1 score from 0 to 10 (you may not score maps that are out of contest), which should include theme compliance score (so a good map shouldn't get high score if it doesn't comply to theme). Please leave some comments about each map (scores without comments will be ignored).

The voting stage will last till 20th of January 

Download: 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4p4zhc2pdsr4q0s/spd23_v5.wad?dl=1

Have a nice play!

Topic on RDC forums: http://i.iddqd.ru/viewtopic.php?t=2104

Edited by Chainie

I'm very glad to see that you are still doing these contests over there. Fdas: spd23_gaspe_fdas.zip

MAP01: A bit confusing at first, a roaming cyberdemon and no weapons to kill it but if you survive long enough you can notice that some things are happening until you can unlock the BFG. The hell and tech theme was maybe subtle but it's allright. 6/10

MAP02: The theme is more of classic hell but few tech details, but it's very solid I must say and this time there's also some usage of flow in the level. Nice gameplay, tight with the supplies and nasty traps like when the avs comes or the pain elemental gets released. The battle with the mastermind was rather boring, the idea of combining it with sniper revs isn't bad but it's long to take out the boss with only some rockets at best. 8/10

MAP03: This reminded me of Wormhole where you have to revisit the same part of the map with a different aestethics. This time the normal techbase turns into hell and I liked how hell details are present in the first half too making the transition somehow more ambiguous. The thing that I didn't like so much is that the concept of the map turns into something repetitive to play and the map didn't try to break that. 6/10

MAP04: Somehow I finished it but I had no idea of what I was doing. Very annoying in some parts and there's barely ammo and health around, I was in the verge to quit at some point. The industrial theme with the conveyors in this gigantic space isn't that bad, probably too ambitious for the 4 hours time limit to become something that feels like an actual map. Voted this anyway but I'm not sure if this is out of contest after looking at the thread on RDC. 4/10

MAP05: Nice mixture of tech and hell. The RSK battle and the big area with the plasma rifle had very fun fights, though you can see that most of the effort went to make those parts so the rest in comparison looks rather neglected. 7/10

MAP06: The damaging floor so you have to keep moving works well. Not so sure about the theme, focus on doors mostly? In the end it's the same structure copypasted over and over. 2/10

MAP07: More tech than hell and it reminds of an old-school corrupted base with the rather chaotic visuals but I think it's okay. Didn't like when you get teleported in that corridor with the barrels and the imp. The RL trap was quite fun. 6/10

MAP08: Very solid work visually and cool atmosphere. The death teleport will rub some players in the wrong way but it's something you can try very early. The gameplay felt like it was holding back sometimes. 8/10

MAP09: Not bad, somehow unrefined level that has a feel of a "first map". It also feels very abstract and the themes don't have a strong presence. Gameplay was quite uninteresting. 5/10

MAP10: A trial and error course is something that you rarely encounter in the realm of Doom maps. The layout is more akin to Wolf3D with a completely flat and crude looking maze. Lots of doors but other than that it isn't following the themes so much. 2/10

MAP11: Shame that the themes weren't followed in this map so it loses some points for that but I still want to give it a nice vote since it's a solid level with even some exploration added. 6/10

MAP12: I really liked how the tech+hell was done here and the idea is interesting, and there's some flow too. Tho it's short and it plays in a weird way but I guess it's due to the time limit. 7/10

The contest is over! Here are the results:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xCa8C--KSURizY-y5mfu_Cwgw8zsGmoT/view?usp=sharing

Maps and their authors:

MAP 01 - MyNameIs
MAP 02 - Chaingunner
MAP 03 - Shadowman
MAP 04 - soldierDude
MAP 05 - Dragon Hunter
MAP 06 - Memfis
MAP 07 - Артём(AKA DukeOfDoom)
MAP 08 - MAN_WITH_GUN
MAP 09 - JSO x
MAP 10 - Doomstalker
MAP 11 - FoxPlays
MAP 12 - +Ku6EPyXOBEPTKA+

1 place -  MAN_WITH_GUN (map08)

2 place - Chaingunner (Map02)

3 place - Dragon Hunter (Map05)

Thanks everybody for participating in voting!