Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sincity2100

Good Morning Phobos Version 2 (Now on idgames)

13 minutes ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Your link has 'home' in it. That takes me to my dropbox home.

Do you have an e-mail? I'll send it to you via e-mail..

23 minutes ago, sincity2100 said:

Do you have an e-mail? I'll send it to you via e-mail..

your file says it requires to be registered to be accessed.

you might wanna fix that.

2 hours ago, sincity2100 said:

Map 25 : City of Endless Bloodlust Replacing Brimstone Warehouse which is made by Impoby, I liked Brimstone Warehouse at first, but upon replaying them I found this map rather super linear and boring to me, so I'm replacing this map with something more ambitious than the usual map.. sorry Impboy

That's unfortunate, some friends of mine who played this map thought the gameplay was fun and interesting.  But, this is your project and I respect your decision.

1 minute ago, Impboy4 said:

That's unfortunate, some friends of mine who played this map thought the gameplay was fun and interesting.  But, this is your project and I respect your decision.

It's okay mate..

2 minutes ago, sincity2100 said:

It's okay mate..

Don't worry, this isn't the first time a map of mine was booted out of a project.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/122we00q84t8ltj/GMP_New_Version.wad/file

There a 2nd Beta for the New version of Good Morning Phobos..

What are you going to find in this version..

Fix for map 13, it's more accusable on UV Pistol start.

Few edits on Map29

Map25 is more detailed

Several visual edits on several maps..

and Texture fix for Some outdoor areas in some maps.

Blind Playthrough Video (still uploading/process, probably takes 1 hour or so)

Spoiler

I just played Map25 for this session. If you just looked at the map without reference, it's a solid map with pretty good visuals. However, if you really dug into it, it exposes quite a bit of problems.

1. I think you tried to emulate Valiant style way too hard, even the problem that Valiant gives the player too much resource exists in this map. The map looks like va21, some of the fights play like va23 and va24.

2. You give the player way too much health/ammo. I usually want to save my ammo by using SSG, but it seems the map doesn't really require the player to do ammo management. You just always have high rockets/cells. Health is not always high, but the later key fights, especially that one similar to va23, have too much health.

3. The fights play out themselves without doing too much. This is a big problem to me because I feel like I didn't do anything, but the infight just finished off most of the big threats and left a very damaged Cyberdemon... Personally, the fights need to have some key thought about what you should to open up your space recognition or to challenge the player with threat prioritization, but the big fights don't really do it in this map.

4. It seems the BFG is overkill outside of the secret, but this is a pair with 3 really. If the fights are more intense, BFG could be a good addition here, but for now, it seems making it a secret would be better.

Although I put up a lot of stuff here, the map itself is still pretty OK. I think it's that you need more your stuff instead of using references for your own design. I hope you find this useful.

I remember playing this wad in 2017 until map02 and then I forgot about it

About map01:

It'd be better if the line that reveals the only secret on the map clunked like a switch (just add any switch texture on the unseen part of the line and it'll be clunky so the player could notice that something is activated)

And the secret is actually SSG that's not very useful on the first map and actually you can get it from the start of map02. Maybe replace it with rocket launcher?

About other maps:

*Coming soon*

EDIT: Mind on adding a GAMEINFO lump to make it skip the iwad selection dialogue in Zdoom-family ports?

iwad = "doom2.wad"
startuptitle = "Good morning Phobos"
startupcolors = "a3 c7 c6", "8f 01 33"

17 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

I remember playing this wad in 2017 until map02 and then I forgot about it

About map01:

It'd be better if the line that reveals the only secret on the map clunked like a switch (just add any switch texture on the unseen part of the line and it'll be clunky so the player could notice that something is activated)

And the secret is actually SSG that's not very useful on the first map and actually you can get it from the start of map02. Maybe replace it with rocket launcher?

About other maps:

*Coming soon*

EDIT: Mind on adding a GAMEINFO lump to make it skip the iwad selection dialogue in Zdoom-family ports?

iwad = "doom2.wad"
startuptitle = "Good morning Phobos"
startupcolors = "a3 c7 c6", "8f 01 33"

Okay, I'll take notes..

I'm glad you brought this to my attention, otherwise it'd be one of the few megawads i can really enjoy gone under my radar. I'll leave a review on each map individually so it might get a bit long, but for context, i'm playing these on PRBoom+ 2.6um, Ultra-Violence, doing pistol starts and not saving not even once (so far anyways, and i will only ever save if i feel like an encounter is particularly cheap/unfair):

MAP01:

Spoiler

Pretty good introductory map, not much to speak here, it's pretty linear and not really difficult so i just blazed through it. I will say though, being introduced to the chainsaw and berserk before any gun was pretty fun.

Positives:

Very pretty, short and sweet, interesting weapon progression, flows pretty well and generally sets very good expectations for the rest of the map as it doesn't just play exactly like 99% of megawads' map01s.

Negatives:

None that i can think of... though i would have liked to be limited to pistol, fists and chainsaw for a while longer before the introduction of the shotgun.

MAP02:

Spoiler

Oh wow, we're already going this big? Alrighty then! First time through i actually got really carried away but got pretty far... I started off expecting it to be linear like the first map, but every time i looked at another way "forward" i kept going, and before i knew it i was running through the map almost like if playing deathmatch. Despite the size and length of this one and dying so many times i don't regret a single second i spent here, especially since every run was so different it always felt like a new map.

Positives:

Highly non-linear, extremely replayable, really nice lighting, super fun and diverse encounters, secrets were fun to find, and generally encouraged experimentation in a way that very few other maps do. I also love the connectivity with the first map.

Negatives: 

Probably too early to introduce the rocket launcher...? It felt like it made the map a bit too easy (especially since the plasma rifle is also obtainable here, even if just as a secret) and gave me a feeling of "i better not use it... it'll make this a bit too easy.", with the exception of the arena behind the blue door, which seemed like it was solely made to justify the rocket launcher being in this map... probably my least favorite part of the map too, with how it breaks the flow the entire rest of the map was going for. Also i may not be able to explain this because i'm no musician, but the song didn't fit this map too well imo, it felt too melancholic/chill for a map this vast, open and fast paced.

MAP03:

Spoiler

This one gives me strong underhalls vibes, i like it. Funnily enough my first death was at the super shotgun secret, which i ran at so fast that i fell right onto the hellknight's lovely arms and instantly became a pile of minced meat.

Positives:

Very tight combat, different areas are very visually distinct despite holding the same theme, and while this is subjective and most people may not like it, i really enjoyed the tight ammo balancing. The secrets were all really fun to find in this one too, some of them pretty clever.

Negatives:

Not much of a negative but i found it weird that, at least in UV, the map gives you two chainguns in the form of a chaingunner, then afterwards gives you a dedicated "shrine" room to a redundant chaingun which could've been something else more useful.

MAP04:

Spoiler

I'll be honest, the start for this one didn't give me much hope for the rest of the map. A lot of the times i'd die and go back to the start, i'd have very little chance to survive for long enough to get back on my two feet because you're in the line of sight to so many hitscanners with nothing but a pistol. If this was somehow tweaked so that they don't immediately all have a line of sight to you (maybe only let the zombiemen see you, and turn all of the other ones back but untag them from ambush? I believe this would give you time to seek cover and grab the green armor so you can be more tactical and actually feel like you're responsible for the damage you take.

Positives: Very fun encounters for the most part, neat layout and progression, encouraged me a lot to try to approach things differently in the hopes to actually survive, which i really enjoyed.

Negatives: The outside area at the start of course... Aside from that, maybe the teleporters could use some color coding or anything else to make them less confusing? And this is a minor nitpick, but the broken panel at the entrance of the building doesn't look too broken because it all just blends in... Maybe make the "smashed in" parts darker or flicker to remedy it?

MAP05:

Spoiler

Another strong start. I've experimented a lot with this one and still i'm sure i could've gone about it in several other ways, so keep in mind that i might have taken some terrible paths throughout progression.

Positives: Really tight combat at the start, map flows quite well and the non-linearity at the start washes away any potential frustration from starting over after dying.

Negatives: The cacos that spawn into the starting room take far too long to spawn in and i feel like that makes the start more unpredictable than it should be and makes the baron not as fun to fight as it could have been through infighting (it was a lot of fun to watch when i got him to kill 5 cacos for me). The teleporters in the acid were also in... really weird places? Some places where i expected to find them were just dead ends, and they were usually hidden in a way you'd not be able to see them from where you'd usually fall from the most often in this map. I also felt like the amount of plasma ammo wasn't really necessary? The plasma rifle was so near the end of the map, by which point you'd just be rocketing enemies anyways (since that's the point in the map where the rockets become the most useful by far, with all of the mancubi, arachnatrons and revenants. I only found it useful against the pain elementals, but having that much cells just made the whole encounter far too easy for what it should have been. Despite the strong start i'd say this was the weakest map in the set so far, but not by much, i still had fun.

MAP06:

Spoiler

I will say that i really like the visuals and verticality... but i didn't really like the execution of the fights in this one much. A lot of these fights were just "circle around the mid-tier enemies and shoot them until they're dead" after killing some hitscanners... This one wasn't very memorable and overall i don't remember much of my attempt(s?) at it either.

Positives: Looks cool, has some nice build-up to the outside fight.

Negatives: Not very memorable, fights are pretty repetitive, too many fights dependent on circle strafing and infighting (whether it's intentional or not), and hitscanners don't feel like they're used very interestingly.

MAP07:

Spoiler

unknown.png?width=1248&height=702

Huh, first visual glitch i've encountered so far (i'm playing on PRBoom+ 2.6, for context). I remember having dealt with an issue like this in one of my maps and fixing it but i don't remember how i did it... so hopefully you know the cause. Anyways back to the review: This is probably the most cohesive in gameplay (up until this point anyways). Really interesting setup at the beginning (somehow got me killed once in my first attempt), really interesting traps, etc. I especially enjoyed how the map does detailing, where rooms look similar when you want to link their functions with each other (such as the red teleporter cages/rooms) and doing the same with symmetry, while keeping the rest of the map largely asymmetrical and every room with their own distinctive look, to the point it flows even better than the other maps since it's so easy to memorize the map and from a simple glance you can get an idea of what the entire layout of a small area is like. Really good stuff.

Positives: All that was mentioned above, diverse use of monsters in encounters, good enemy placement which tricked me a few times, really satisfying "mow down the former human" sections, and also the best balancing of weapons so far (finally a map where the plasma rifle felt like it 100% fits in and serves a clear purpose!). It's also nice to hear a song that doesn't get used in many other wads. It's also great to see a map that makes more interesting use of MAP07 scripting than making the 2935729375th dead simple clone.

Negatives: Honestly this is the best compliment i can give this map, the only negative i can think of is the weird dirt floor glitch.

MAP08:

Spoiler

unknown.png

Another odd bug with PRBoom+... Though at least this one is also pretty unnoticeable.

unknown.png?width=1246&height=702

Another oversight i noticed was that the midtex on the right isn't impassable, unlike the one on the left. Also... Given how random the rocket launcher secret was, after some messing around i figured it'd be too much trouble and kind of unfun to look for a way to look for the BFG in the warehouse, so i gave up on that pretty quickly... But apparently there was another one?? Which makes me wonder why there was a BFG in that warehouse in the first place, especially because if it's just a decoration it serves more as a distraction than anything. All in all i really enjoyed the first half, even with how scarce ammo was, but after going through the warehouse it kind of lost that sense of fun with all of the hitscan chipping away at your health without you even knowing where that damage is even coming from, not really challenging as much as it was frustrating and confusing.

Positives: Really well executed aesthetics and stands out a lot from the previous few levels, pretty tight first few encounters, and fun use of shotgunners (except for the last fight).

Negatives: Waaaaay too much (cheap) hitscan towards the second half of the map, where you've got little to no health pickups but get 5 times as much chaingunners and shotgunners everywhere, and in the cases of the main sewer area and the outside area after the warehouse they hit you without you really knowing where it's coming from unless it's your second time through the level and you know the exact enemy placements. You've done some really good use of tons of hitscan before, but when it just feels like they're chipping away at your health when you've got little to no health like it's done here, or when they're coming from chaingunners/shotgunners that oversee a whole (not very large) area it just feels annoying to deal with.

I'll probably leave a review on 8 maps at a time or i'll be here forever... I like to take my time with megawads or i can't enjoy them too much, either way know that i've really enjoyed even the maps i had a lot of criticism for, really solid mapset so far :)

Oh yeah, guess who's back from their horrible phase of Doom burnout. I'm really happy to come back to this too, and in fact i've been looking forward to it since it's such a fun mapset (possibly cacoward material if further refined and tweaked a bit in places)

MAP09:

Spoiler

Big, bad, evil, tough map. For the most part all for the right reasons, the traps always caught me off guard and the second caco/pain elemental trap was what killed me in this map (surprising it only happened then and so late, since i was low on health for most of the map). I'll be honest though...

unknown.png?width=832&height=468

This room left such a sour taste in my mouth that it's all i can think of looking back on this level. Not because the map is unmemorable, but because of how unfair and frustrating this room was. Getting ambushed by enemies in a room so dark that they all render as pitch black, with barely even any ground to give you enough depth perception to know how good your combat positioning is, just makes this fight feel like smacking someone in a pitch black cave hoping to hit their face while they can't find yours in the dark. Mind you, this was nightmarishly stress inducing even after finding all of the secrets.

Positives: Super fun interconnected layout, big open spaces fun to run through while dodging projectiles, really good resource scarcity, secrets were fun to find and get to, and really diverse use of different demons.

Negatives: Aside from that one room... too many pinkies/spectres that don't do much and are only really there to eat up super shotgun ammo, when there could be half of them grouped up together in two specific fights mostly (first fight with a big group of them, in the room with the hanging corpses, and in the pitch black room) without taking away any challenge, though this criticism is much smaller than the one regarding the dark revenant room.

MAP10:

Spoiler

In all honesty, this belongs somewhere near the end of the mapset even with the lack of many high tier enemies. It feels like a grand setpiece, very strategic with the low amount of ammo throughout the map creating great incentive to start over whenever you die to experiment with new routes and optimize your playthroughs, getting further and further bit by bit as you adapt to the challenges this map throws at you. Best of all is you chose one of my favorite midis for this map and it didn't disappoint. For context to what i have to say next: i have died a LOT in this map. While it is indeed very difficult (again, it feels like a MAP20-29 slot map), it was just so much fun to run around, try new routes, run around the map whenever new enemies showed up, etc that i just didn't care much about survival, so the deaths were just a way for me to try to have more fun as i didn't care about dying.

There is one big problem with this map, however. And it's the area behind the red key door feels either broken or unfinished. That's usually the part of the map that stresses me out the most (in a very good way, though) as in all of my dozen-ish attempts i only had a few rockets left for the mancubi, and barely enough shells to deal with the pinkies, so i will ask you to please not change the general pickup placement BEFORE this area, as i'd say it's absolutely perfect as is and it's what allowed me to enjoy this map so much and make it such a highlight of this megawad for me. However, past the archvile to the left of the red door, you do not get enough ammo to get to the end without finding the secrets. If you want the cyberdemon to not be killable without finding all the secrets (since you can still finish the level with him on that platform), just add another box of shells in the archvile/chaingunner closet, and another before the cyberdemon. If you do want him to be killable without secrets, you really need to give a looot more ammo before he shows up, though i don't think the latter approach would be very fun.

Another thing, by the way: in my first playthrough where i got the red key, i ran right past the revenants and somehow triggered the linedef that spawns the cacodemons without falling down, so i was at that blue key area fighting off the revenants while cacodemons supported them from the front and others tried flanking behind my back. If i am to make a suggestion, i'd love to see the revenant closet and the cacodemons teleporting both at once after you pick up the red key, since it's 100% doable and, unlike the current iteration of that trap, it's very challenging and fun, i missed that every other time i fought them and easily killed both groups off without effort since they spawned separately.

Positives: Everything (before the red key door). Seriously, what a good map. 

Negatives: Just the amount of ammo after the red door being too little to kill enough enemies to reach the exit without having to punch revenants and hell knights.

MAP11:

Spoiler

image.png.f8b040d502f49a4d307af850a3a5242b.png

Found a bug with the two crushers on the right side of this row, one doesn't crush at all and the other just flickers in and out. And speaking of crushers...

image.png.c217e5468b30883d228eca2af2f7c96d.png

I think it would be kind of funny if this activated as a crusher once you picked up the green armor. It's certainly what i expecting seeing it for the first time anyways: industrial looking area full of crushers and crusher sounds everywhere, with some green armor at the end of a conveyor belt very conveniently below what seems to be one of the crushers you see all around that area. That little suggestion aside, i'd like to point out that the crushers give a lot of atmosphere to this map despite the midi being so focused on action, and i think the combination of the two really pumps you full of adrenaline for that second half of this map. This reminds me of MAP02, except shorter and dare i say, even more fun to run through, since at this point there are enough heavy demons and hitscanners that you're not just plowing through but also being pushed back every few rooms, making it feel like a really fast and action packed game of tug of war.

Positives: Pretty much the culmination of all of the best parts of this megawad so far: big open non-linear arenas which offer lots of room for experimentation, replayability and difficulty that makes it almost feel like a power trip without taking out any of the challenge.

Negatives: None that i can think of. This map is 100% in the clear of any as far as i'm concerned :)

MAP12:

Spoiler

Man, i'll never get sick of how these maps give you a hot start and allow you to run around and unleash a whole horde of demons to chase you around the map as you just go "oh god i do not want to be here" and keep going until you find a safer space where you can try to recover and get back on your feet.

image.png.d0f73a35ff4b12c3f7fd1b90d83cddcf.png

It's also weird how many of these show up throughout the megawad but... there, another weird visual glitch. I know these aren't issues with PRBoom+'s poor software rendering because they also seem to show up in Eternity Engine. Now about the actual map, i will be honest, this one wasn't particularly memorable to me (even after having just finished it as of writing this), but i do think it serves an important role as a really good breather after the really tough past few maps, and either way it was still fun.

Positives: A very well paced breather map, and still feels fun rather than feeling like pointless filler, at least to me.

Negatives: In the other maps the visual glitches were minor, but the one in this map was really distracting.

MAP13:

Spoiler

...Probably the most unfitting music you could've chosen for this map. A horror-esque suspense ambient song introducing you to a map that has enemies firing at you from the very start forcing you to quickly look for a way out and get weapons to gain a more advantageous position against the demons. I also find the balancing of this map quite questionable, since you get so many enemies thrown at you nonstop without being given much ammo back. I have two suggestions to streamline the map a bit to fit its current place in the megawad to alleviate from a bit of the frustration and smooth out what currently feels like a massive difficulty spike: Either tune down the amount of enemies in the map by 2/3 of what's currently there (especially for the ambush with the two archviles in the red rocks room, where you get thrown an amount of enemies which i'm betting is currently impossible to get through in this current version, without much space to move around, and without much ammo whatsoever.), or change the progression a bit so that you get access to weapons much earlier (as soon as the starting platform, really) and make it so that red room is somehow only accessible/required at the end of the map, because right now it's the meanest encounter in the whole megawad (until this point) by far and it's near the very start of this map.

Positives: Uh.... I suppose it could be fun given a lot of rebalancing? The layout seems fine and a lot of these encounters do have the right idea, they're just pretty iffy on the execution.

Negatives: Pretty broken balancing regarding amount of enemies thrown at you and ammo laying around, and extremely unfitting midi.

MAP14:

Spoiler

I also wasn't able to finish this one because of the lack of ammo and weapons. I noticed an abundance of rockets and cells everywhere, but no rocket or plasma rifle to be seen (which is really odd, since those weapons were everywhere in the earlier maps), causing what would normally be a pretty regular amount of monsters to feel like it's absurdly overwhelming. I don't think this one is currently beatable either.

Positives: Really good choice for the midi, and the map looks beautiful.

Negatives: You can probably guess.

MAP15:

Spoiler

I'm... not really sure how i feel about the midi. It's obviously very loud and obnoxious, which gets your adrenaline going in the middle of a fight, but it's one of those songs that seems to make you angrier whenever you die. Though this map would make me really mad whenever i died either way because the revenants feel so, SO cheap all around the central building. You have no ammo to take them out, if you try to kill them with rockets, only 1 in every 5 will hit, and if you do not take care of them they WILL kill you while you're doing something else. You can't even get them to infight with other enemies easily given their position, and even if you did, they're very likely to kill that enemy or the enemy would just run up to the wall and get stuck there where it wouldn't be able to hit the revenant (in case that it's not a caco). If you absolutely want an enemy harassing you from the outskirts of the map, please make that mancubi instead. It's infuriating to have seeker missiles being fired at you no matter where you are in the map.

Positives: This is where the weapon progression becomes a bit more reasonable again, and the whole layout of this map is pretty fun to move through and tackle in different ways.

Negatives: The revenants took my lunch money.

MAP31:

Spoiler

I was really hoping the secret level would break up the current flow of the mapset to bring something different so i wouldn't feel burnt out until uh... the icon of sin?? Anyways not even when you build a peaceful resort far away from civilization are you ever safe from unexplainable visual glitches.

image.png.6c9f3b2d3df48b1406fe5b298a29d0f4.png

Anyways for what it is this map can be really good and reminds me a lot of the best parts of Lost Civilization, but past the first spider mastermind you've got to at least double the ammo to make it fun, since i got to a point where i was chainsawing revenants and pinkies while an archvile chased me, and that was no fun for a map like this.

Positives: A perfectly timed break in the megawad's pacing, super chill, pretty and cute in decoration, super relaxing midi and really good fights all around.

Negatives: Too stingy with ammo for the tone it sets and for how evil it is.

MAP32:

Spoiler

I really liked this at first, because all of the encounters before the blue (skull) key were super fun and made me go from getting my ass kicked nonstop due to the lack of medkits, to destroying all of the enemies without breaking a sweat. Thing is, though: it gets repetitive very, very quickly. This map is enormous and the good grand fights are held back by all of the pointless, boring filler in between. Nothing sums it up better than the blue room with the spectres and revenants, which was so boring and so clearly a filler that i died there about 5 times because i was trying to just plow through them with rockets (i still hadn't gone mad enough to use the BFG or plasma rifle). This is one i can't see being fun without cutting out a large chunk of it, because as of now it's just a slog without any setpieces to justify the length.

Positives: I was having a lot of fun until the blue key, and the midi you chose for this map slaps (albeit a little bit too loud).

Negatives: Half of the map feels like it's full of just filler enemies.

Hopefully this time it won't take too long for me to post again now that i'm not burnt out on Doom anymore, and i can't wait to see what the maps will look like after some balancing and fixing :)

Hello Guys, It's been a while since I posted something about the game, Just a Quick update, the project is nearly complete, just did some finishes with the map texts and the intermissions and some polishing and I'll release a final beta before releasing the final version into idgames..

Holy HADES!!! That is a super fun megawad so far!!! i think I made it to Map 08 and it has been a blast. The secrets are well thought and pretty intuitive, at to me they are as I haven't had a too much issue finding them. The maps are failry big but they feel really natural. All around good job!

I see the Doom wiki page for the project has yet to be updated to reflect the changes.

Anyway, I am playing this with Freedoom - being away from my gaming computer - and I am having fun and I love that it uses Revilution and Back to Saturn X tracks. I might check out the original version next, which I hope is not too much of a downgrade. :P

I've gotten further into GMP and holy heck. The fun just hasn't stopped. It's reached a level of quality and fun that I didn't think it would which is Top 10ish spot.

Without any specific order in the category of Vanilla Megawads its basically

1. Hellbound -- Yet to be dethroned but it is what it is.

Ascent of Titan

Good Morning Phobos

Eday Vanilla

Mars War

Lost Civilization

Freedoom Phase 2

Edited by kalensar

Playing this with GZDoom, I have noticed that levels still display vanilla map names in the automap. Do you plan to release a fixed MAPINFO in the near future?

So I made a custom .deh file so that the proper level names are displayed (fixing a couple typos in the process).

GMP_levelnames.zip

However, I have yet to figure out how to rename MAP33 - which I have just found out existed. How do I get to it?

6 hours ago, Rudolph said:

So I made a custom .deh file so that the proper level names are displayed (fixing a couple typos in the process).

GMP_levelnames.zip

However, I have yet to figure out how to rename MAP33 - which I have just found out existed. How do I get to it?

IDCLEV33 will get you to it. I had no idea it was there either until now.

Thanks for the DeHAcked file. I have no idea how to rename it either.

I would be able to make a MAPINFO with my arguably still rudimentary scripting skills, but I do not want to mess up the skies or anything. Then again, MAP33 does not appear to have any music either, so maybe the level is just not finished.

Edited by Rudolph