Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
marver0PS

Is there any wad that uses glboom+'s detail textures?

If it's look the same as in jDoom, then it's just a great thing.

Spoiler

qroSCXu.jpg

q5HDcWy.jpg

bXEo5os.jpg

u4wZuIC.jpg

5gWrWvL.jpg

1tHDmu6.jpg

I8W0XgB.jpg

u2LWyyv.jpg

gp16mB0.jpg

9p3Uk7H.jpg

TVEbU13.jpg

RYsNYbw.jpg

YJMPbYF.jpg

LUbCck4.jpg

Honestly these screenshots don't sell me on the concept. The big gray bricks are okay, but the rest looks just bad; especially those SPACEW2 samples in the first picture. Look at them, the detail texture completely overpowers the texture it's layered on, ruining the impression of depth normally conveyed by shading. It just betrays the texture as the completely flat surface it technically is by creating some fake relief over it that doesn't follow the contours of the represented material.

I suppose the trick is to use detail textures that are appropriate to the material they get layered on, and will not detract from it. In that SPACEW2 example, the detail texture would be appropriate to some rough-hewn rock or perhaps concrete; but it's a disaster on tech textures.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

I suppose even you need to explain such primitive things as the possibility to replace, add and redefine detailed textures, change their size and contrast. They also perfect compatible with any HD textures.

This is just a unique possibility. And it exists independently of a short-sighted perception or a superficial impression. 

Spoiler

oj6HEiP.jpg

Anf0NnT.jpg

tnFMdc7.jpg

aTUXHkj.jpg

Zn6OpGQ.jpg

HNefBFo.jpg

6A6hhG3.jpg

3v2PAI4.jpg

2 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

If this counts as a "detail texture", which I don't really know, then you could try Bloody Steel

That's a high-rez texture but not detail. From my understanding, detail textures are similar in effect to bumpmapping in which they make texture surfaces look "rough" and not entirely flat. It's also how a lot of early 2000 games tried to make textures look good up close.

A detail texture is an extra texture that gets overlaid over a regular texture. The trick is that it is not overlaid at the same resolution: for example, a 128x128 detail texture could be tiled 16 times (4x horizontally, 4x vertically) over a 128x128 regular texture. (I always want to say "normal texture" but unfortunately that term is taken for something completely different.) The result, hopefully, is that with 2x128x128 (32768 pixels), you get a texture render that looks like it's 512x512 (262144 pixels).

This upcoming community project is going to use GLDEFS:

It's because it's the only way to use PNGs as textures in GLBoom+, otherwise all the Minecraft textures would have to be palettised.

Not sure if it really feels like a good fit for Doom. Detail textures started being implemented in 3D games after it was pretty much standard practice to liberally stretch textures across large surfaces rather than tiling them more, and detail layers became this sort of workaround to give more, erm, texture, to what would otherwise look like quasi-gourad shading.

This was not the case with early texture mapped games like Doom that just repeated tiles more across surfaces, which kept the textures sharper and more defined overall. The other issue here is that there are so many features baked into the textures like lamps, metal panels, etc, the detail layer indiscriminately overlaid atop all those differing elements just doesn't gel well. It actually starts breaking the illusion of the intended material and just looks more like crumpled wallpaper or something. Plus, the look really reminds me of older amateur HD texture packs for games like Oblivion where they'd just upscale the original with bilinear/cubic and just blend in a layer of noise/grime to give a vague impression of more sharpness.

23 hours ago, lazygecko said:

Not sure if it really feels like a good fit for Doom.

The only thing that is not fit for Doom (especially for Doom modding and Doom modmaking) is stereotypical thinking. )