Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SelacoDev

[WIP] Selaco - a brand new standalone shooter running on GZDoom

On 1/8/2021 at 10:26 AM, nexxtic28 said:

Who doesn't love a good destructible voxel!?

"Chair today, gone tomorrow."

On 1/9/2021 at 7:48 PM, Pirx said:

looking forward to playing this. love the f.e.a.r. influence, one of my favorite games.

Likewise! While the series most likely wont get a reboot anytime soon, I truly hope we get something FEAR related soon.

I even thought FEAR 2 was pretty decent 🤡

I saw that! Really great video and I contacted him to say thanks and he seems like an awesome guy. I do want to point out, though, that Selaco is definitely not pushing GZDoom to its limits, especially not in the same vein as games like Solace Dreams or Total Chaos. People not entirely familiar with the engine may not realize just how much you can do with it, a lot of which we don't even use. We were never looking to be a graphical showcase, but more focused on art direction and overall atmosphere. Either way, seeing someone cover Selaco was amazing and the highlight of my week.

10 minutes ago, nexxtic28 said:

I saw that! Really great video and I contacted him to say thanks and he seems like an awesome guy. I do want to point out, though, that Selaco is definitely not pushing GZDoom to its limits, especially not in the same vein as games like Solace Dreams or Total Chaos. People not entirely familiar with the engine may not realize just how much you can do with it, a lot of which we don't even use. We were never looking to be a graphical showcase, but more focused on art direction and overall atmosphere. Either way, seeing someone cover Selaco was amazing and the highlight of my week.

Perhaps some kind of notice somewhere would be a good idea ? e.g if someone contacts you to make a video or article on the game you specify that they shouldn't say that it pushes GZDoom to its' limits, or to even explain to them that it DOESN'T run on the original Doom engine in the first place, since I doubt a lot of people not familiar with Doom modding (besides knowing that custom maps exist) would understand that Selaco isn't running on the original Doom engine. Case in point if you look at the comments on videos about Total Chaos, most people think it's actually running on the original executable.

if advanced warfare had a daughter with cells interlinked mod for serious sam xD

i can only wish wadaholic was part of the team ;-;

On 1/24/2021 at 7:39 AM, nexxtic28 said:

games like Solace Dreams or Total Chaos

woah you actually mentioned them, I love the retro version of total chaos. low poly is the way to go, is solaco pure sprites or both? that preview trailer was awesome <3

The more I see of this game, the more excited I am. I can't wait for it, I got a feeling that fans of Doom and Ion Fury will feel right at home with it, even tho it's own thing.

Man, I saw this on Twitter a while ago, it looks pretty impressive. I like personally all the visual effects and I'd really wish I could recreate similar visual effects on GZDoom. I say, good job!

6 hours ago, sanicstudios said:

I saw the first teaser and I was like "There's no way this is GZDoom"

Impressive shit! Can't wait!

The things people have done with the GZDoom engine are amazing.

Thanks for the kind words guys! Its an absolute joy to see these type of comments. There's still so much to show here but I need to refrain from revealing our entire hand in one go, which is one of the reasons the gameplay reveal cuts off when the action starts. Not because it's unfinished, which is what many people assume is the case, but because we want to save it for later. Rest assured, we will start showing some tiny combat clips soon!

For now though, here's a fun little E1M1 nod I worked on.

Sorry that it takes so long to show some actual gameplay. But it will be worth it, I promise.

29 minutes ago, nexxtic28 said:

Sorry that it takes so long to show some actual gameplay. But it will be worth it, I promise.

Duke Selaco Forever!  :D

The floating pickups seem a bit big.

Also, I do not know if flying enemies are planned, but if so, would it be possible to make it so they make them use voxels instead? After all, the problem with sprite-based enemies is that they become really hard to spot when looked at from certain angles.

As much as I appreciate Ion Fury's efforts to revive the Build Engine, fighting paper-thin enemies is not something I miss.

11 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

fighting paper-thin enemies is not something I miss.

You can enable bill boarding flags on sprites, so flat looking enemies shouldn't be a issue.

9 minutes ago, Ermin said:

You can enable bill boarding flags on sprites, so flat looking enemies shouldn't be a issue.

You mean in Selaco or in GZDoom in general?

3 hours ago, Rudolph said:

The floating pickups seem a bit big.

Also, I do not know if flying enemies are planned, but if so, would it be possible to make it so they make them use voxels instead? After all, the problem with sprite-based enemies is that they become really hard to spot when looked at from certain angles.

As much as I appreciate Ion Fury's efforts to revive the Build Engine, fighting paper-thin enemies is not something I miss.

We have over 700 sprites for a single enemy type. We are not going to voxelize each and every animation because that's an insane workload and would take a decade to complete. Also a file size nightmare :P. 'Paperthin' enemy sprites are a huge part of the appeal and I don't think that is going to change anytime soon.

Floating pickups too big? Noted. I'll experiment with different sizes but I personally don't have a problem with the sizes of Armor / Health shards in their current state, neither did any of our play testers. They are identical in size compared to Quake 3.

Edited by nexxtic28

39 minutes ago, nexxtic28 said:

We have over 700 sprites for a single enemy type. We are not going to voxelize each and every animation because that's an insane workload and would take a decade to complete. Also a file size nightmare :P. 'Paperthin' enemy sprites are a huge part of the appeal and I don't think that is going to change anytime soon.

Floating pickups too big? Noted. I'll experiment with different sizes but I personally don't have a problem with the sizes of Armor / Health shards in their current state, neither did any of our play testers. They are identical in size compared to Quake 3.

Fair enough. I am still not sure I understand what @Ermin is talking about, but if they are correct, then I guess I need not to worry about!

9 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

There is a flag you can set on sprites in Gzdoom (which selaco is using as its engine) which enables billboarding. It flips/rotates the sprites to always face the camera. Look at this topic here for details its pretty old but you get the gist...
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&amp;t=58719
Alternatively you can just adjust it in the gzdoom display settings i think.

BillboardAxes.png

As that image shows, both billboarding methods have their drawbacks at extreme angles.