• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SelacoDev

[WIP] Selaco - a brand new standalone shooter running on GZDoom

3 hours ago, SelacoDev said:

CockUI!

Sure it was a Dragonball Fan and it was named after Son Cocku :P

When are video game protagonists going to learn that you should not drink on the job? :P

7 hours ago, Rudolph said:

When are video game protagonists going to learn that you should not drink on the job? :P

Psst, you can't actually drink the beer unless your health is super low. Because indeed, responsibility! Only drink when the pain is getting too much.

The demo is out on Steam!

For those who cannot get it, pagb666 did a playthrough:

Really good so far! My only issue is with the controls or rather figuring them out and getting used to them.

The AI seems on par with FEAR, only this time you cannot cheat using slow-motion mode! :P

Hey there, since it looks like the devs check this thread I figured I would show you my impressions of the demo.  Right now I'm basically a Doom addict and not a lot of other shooters seem to hit me in the same way, so unfortunately this demo similarly didn't grab me.  But I still liked a lot of aspects of it, obviously the graphics, ui, interactivity, all of that stuff.  But obviously the core combat is going for a slightly more modern feel, sort of like FEAR.  There aren't really any projectile enemies, or at least dodgeable projectiles, so it is definitely more cover based or just shooting before they can shoot you.  I still figure it might be interesting to see a Doom nut's take on it, as I've talked to some other folks that agree with me on some of the points about the demo.

However there are a couple things I personally thought could change that would apply to anyone, and that's the automap.  I feel like it's a bit complex and busy to see at a glace where you have to go, whereas the Doom automap, at least in GZDoom, has a lot of very clean lines and is easy to follow.  The automap in Selaco has a lot of complicated lines everywhere and a lot of stuff not filling in, as well as a lot of detail in open rooms like boxes, tables etc.  Plus a BIG thing is that helpful marks on the automap disappear when you're too far away.  So I might be looking around to find the blue key door and it's literally not on my map anymore.  In the video I was not playing through blind so these issues were more of a factor the first time I played it.  I would say this seems relevant because even in games like Doom 2016 the automap doesnt fill in a lot of detail between the edges of the rooms, and the lines are generally very clean, so I don't think this is just my own issue but just a tenant of automap design.  Hope that helps.  But feel free to disregard some of my issues with the core combat, because perhaps this is going for a different audience.

Went in thinking, "ho hum, another retro-themed shooter"... and then spent nearly two hours completely immersed in an utterly gorgeous universe.

I adore FEAR, so the combat is obviously going to get a pop out of me, but - gottdamn! The stretchers frustrated me in the beginning because they're obviously not ragdolls you can position easily, but within twenty minutes I'm using them as intended: scooting between cover, closing windows and shutting off lights to shape the battefield as I want. You've taken the goofy and unecessary but charming "interactivity" of old Build engine environments and elevated it to a core part of the gameplay. Combine that with intelligent enemy tactics (sold so well by Gianni) and ridiculously smooth player movement and... gottdamn. 

I can see @sandwedge's points about the lack of projectile-hurling enemies, but for me, the combat (so far) is a glorious merger of the realistic parts of FEAR and the over-the-top pace of something like Ultrakill. Sliding out from cover and exploding some mook with the shotgun point-blank is one of the most satisfying FPS experiences I've had this year. I think that's because, like I mentioned about OG Doom in another recent thread, the animations, sfx and weight of everything in the environment feel spot on: you're speeding out of cover, and the shotgun blast feels like this big, visceral punctuation mark before you start the next sentence.

The only possible knock I could give it at this point is that collision feedback feels a little damp. As in, I sometimes I didn't realise I was taking damage. I learnt to manage it over the course of the demo (i.e.: don't stick your head out out of cover too often), but I also wasn't sure when I was getting clean shots through on the Juggernaut. This all might just be me, mind, because I'm playing on an absolute toaster and might have some effects slammed all the way down.

Oh, and I'd definitely second Sandwedge's opinion on the automap. I never found myself lost and using the map in this demo, but I do recall getting absolutely infuriated at Hedon whenever I had to pick my way through its mess of lines...

Looking forward to the full game.

8 hours ago, Daytime Waitress said:

Oh, and I'd definitely second Sandwedge's opinion on the automap. I never found myself lost and using the map in this demo, but I do recall getting absolutely infuriated at Hedon whenever I had to pick my way through its mess of lines...

It would also be nice to have the option "Enable Textured Display" from GZDoom available in Selaco. 

Nice CockUI, bro.

Loved *most of the demo. I found the interconnectedness a bit much with how zones were seperated by loading zones at first, until I realised I wasn't actually changing levels but just zones within a single level. That said, the level is still big enough that getting a bit lost is very possible. Wasn't a fan of the codex not pausing the game, as far as I could tell, or perhaps it was just the transition or the particular screen I was in. Seems like it should at least do so on lower difficulties. Or maybe it does and I just misinterpretted what was happening when I tried to pull it up during a lull in combat.

Might be a tiny bit scarse on health pickups on the lower difficulties too. Not by much, I pulled through. But I found myself having to buy them a bit often. Enemies did often pot shot me from afar before I could get an angle no them. They also shoot through smoke grenades. If they're actually aiming for me, this feels a bit inequal, but for all I know they just blind fire through it. Anyone that's played Far Cry 1 knows that being sniped from a pixel on the otherside of the map through thirteen opaque obstacles is a frustrating experience. If this is the case, I'd say it needs tweaking, but I really didn't test it.

16 minutes ago, Gradius said:

Might be a tiny bit scarse on health pickups on the lower difficulties too. Not by much, I pulled through. But I found myself having to buy them a bit often.

Early on I would've agreed with the health pickups, especially with the problems I mentioned above regarding collision detection, but as I started treating cover as cover, I never found myself having to purchase them; and ammo was definitely in abundance. Not trying to shit on your opinion, just saying that I had a different experience regarding health.

26 minutes ago, Gradius said:

They also shoot through smoke grenades. If they're actually aiming for me, this feels a bit inequal, but for all I know they just blind fire through it. Anyone that's played Far Cry 1 knows that being sniped from a pixel on the otherside of the map through thirteen opaque obstacles is a frustrating experience. If this is the case, I'd say it needs tweaking, but I really didn't test it.

During play my brain rationalised it as them having some Predator-style infrared tech and it added to the feeling of being totally outgunned. However, it would be nice to get an official word on how it's handled, because in such situations if they're just wrecking you with hitscan attacks and no RNG against them, all the environmental elements (darkness, smokescreens) that I praised it for above are less effective meaningless.

Not sure why, but I'm not getting any sound whatsoever from the Selaco Demo on Steam.  Any ideas as to what could possibly cause this?

I am using an external DAC, and disabled the onboard Realtek one through the BIOS, but that shouldn't cause any problems... ?

Wow, the level of polish on this is insane! This will do well once released if the whole game is this high quality.

Love the way it looks, ..amazing sound design, fun combat!

The only criticism i have are those light strips of different colors, look good but a bit overused. Its makes the entire level look a bit samey, you get blinded by the lights :)

On 10/28/2023 at 4:42 AM, SelacoDev said:

Please remind me to update this non-sense ASAP

Hey! Just a reminder for the above.

Do we have any hope of you releasing the controller rumble script as stand alone to be used with zdoom/gzdoom? Some of us have been wishing for this for years!