Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ar_e_en

Fan made map-packs/megawads/episode replacements for Total Conversions?

Has anyone ever made a map-pack, megawad or episode replacement for any DOOM based Total Conversion? Like new fan-made maps for Batman DOOM, an episode replacement for REKKR, new maps for The Adventures of Square, etc.? I know that the The Adventures of Square has a development pack released by the devs, so fans can create levels for Square, but I've never heard of such maps ever being released.

Has anyone done this sort of thing?

I really like the idea of fan-made expansions to existing TCs. I know for a fact someone made some new levels for the old STRAIN TC within the last couple years, and the maps were definitely solid, but for the life of me I dunno how to find them now.. Every time I search "Strain Doom" or anything similar, I just get the original version (not surprisingly). It would be cool to see more unofficial expansions of unofficial expansions!

7 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I really like the idea of fan-made expansions to existing TCs. I know for a fact someone made some new levels for the old STRAIN TC within the last couple years, and the maps were definitely solid, but for the life of me I dunno how to find them now.. Every time I search "Strain Doom" or anything similar, I just get the original version (not surprisingly). It would be cool to see more unofficial expansions of unofficial expansions!

9 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

but for the life of me I dunno how to find them now.. 

Mutiny was sortof Strain-ish

Regarding OP's question, TeamTNT had released a resource wad called The Return, and some people made some maps for it, I think there was even a community wad in the last few years that used it. They could be called essentially Eternal Doom addons

@Walter confetti propose for the next challenge the idea of using not the common IWADs for it. Freedoom, ChexQuest, and HacX where on the list. But Final Doom couple won for the next challenge.

Even so, i think that it would be awesome to make new map packs for all the TCs out there.

-Osiris TC: surely we can achieve a complete megawad with those resources.

-HacX: I know Xaser was making a new revamped version for v2.0, but come on, i love HacX, more maps wouldn't hurt anyone.

-Batman Doom: this would be tricky as more supervillians would be needed. So debunking the old ones for new ones... or a better idea! A narrative mapset where all the villians escaped Arkham Asylum and plan a revenge.

-Perdition's Gate: a sequel is coming in the form of Perdition's Gate Resurgence by Jaws in the Space.

-Hell 2 Pay: Now, we need to mix this with TNT: Evilution and Icarus: Alien Vanguard for the ultimate space-ish interplanetary mapset

-REKKR: I would love to see more adventures in this universe. But i think it will be hard to reach the quality of the original. Revae, Lupinx, SuperCupCakes, etc. they are some of the best mappers on the community. Just imagine if Tourniquet was there and made a map for REKKR, something in the vein of Mutabor... Now i will have nightmares and never touch again the builder.

-System Vices: This mapset could be extended, as is kinda a demo of what it could be.

-Harmony: Now this one needs a full megawad for sure. A lot of ideas come to mind.

And those are just vanilla examples. There are ton of interesting things on the zmodding scene.

Skulldash has a community project that I think is still in development.

Also unsure if it counts, but Sawdust uses the Valiant assets, even though it's made by the same author.

2 minutes ago, NuMetalManiak said:

Skulldash has a community project that I think is still in development.

Also unsure if it counts, but Sawdust uses the Valiant assets, even though it's made by the same author.

Now that you say that, Intergalactic Xenology may count as a fan made map pack?

it uses Ancient Aliens texture pack.

But if we think every mapset that use the same resource pack as a fan made sequel...

There are countless of Eviternity sequels after just one year :D

13 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Now that you say that, Intergalactic Xenology may count as a fan made map pack?

it uses Ancient Aliens texture pack.

I noticed it didn't use the new monsters from Ancient Aliens though. I was speaking of Sawdust since it actually used the same custom weapons/monsters from Valiant (Return to Daro does the same thing with STRAIN if I recall).

There were some addons for Aliens TC, one by Orin Flaharty (probably better known for their contributions to MM1/2/Requiem) and one that was later turned into a standalone TC, with the previous version lost as far as I can tell.

On 1/6/2021 at 7:14 PM, Vorpal said:

Mutiny was sortof Strain-ish

Regarding OP's question, TeamTNT had released a resource wad called The Return, and some people made some maps for it, I think there was even a community wad in the last few years that used it. They could be called essentially Eternal Doom addons

Mutiny is solid as F#$K. A total blast to play. Might rip through it again after I finish Good Morning Phobos 2. So many wads...so little time. :o)

On 1/7/2021 at 10:41 AM, NuMetalManiak said:

I noticed it didn't use the new monsters from Ancient Aliens though.

The funny thing is that we both forgot about those monsters until we were almost done map 5. We were focused on using the textures for the most part. It wasn't until the 11th hour that we put in the sprites for the Mancubus and the Arachnotron. It was essentially:

11th hour rings

Me: "Oh yeah, what about the custom monsters?"

Lord_Z: O_O