Zylinderkatze

"New year, new URE" - URE:E2 - E2M2 up!

Lest we forget~

In good URE2020 tradition, let's also do this for URE2021:

The map.

e2m1.png

..in all its 2010 goodness.

That's what I'm working with. And on ^^;

Also, adhering to the proven tradition, E2M1 will have a "compare" release, when it's done.. with the option for you to see what it "played like" in this 2010 version- and compare it to the eventual 2021 version.

The ones after this will not have that feature, though.. since they will be new (but based on the old drawings I unearthed).

Simpler times, man.

Just look at all those unhidden lines and un-"display-as-solid"-ed outer edges. 

21 hours ago, Zylinderkatze said:

e2m1.png

..in all its 2010 goodness.

BTW that area at the top is kind of hardcore, even when you know where to go. Everything else up to that point is managable.

You do get kind of a warning before you go in there, though.. so.. maybe that's something? xD

Also, that thing at the bottom of the map is supposed to look like a turret that shot down the vessel with which you arrive (seen crashed in the lower left).. I had a thing for those "arrive kind of unplanned" starts, back then.. because the original beginning of E1 had the player's ship thingy stuck in a row of buoys.

Oh buoy.

Edited by Zylinderkatze

Just one more post!

One thing I realize(d) about E2M1 is that it might actually be harder to bring it up to (my) 2020/2021 standards. Since it was created in 2010 and the necessary steps are.. smaller, in a way.. a lot of stuff is already moderately well tuned & aligned..but there's still a lot that can be improved, too. 

Finding the middle ground might be a challenge.

But that's what I wanted, anyways xD

The challenge:

e2m1-2.png

Greeeeey.

This is kind of cheating.. I already added more light gradient steps (possibly still not enough.. and maybe not "round" enough) and aligned the SHAWN2 on the console in the middle of the screenshot.

Granted: A lot of parts in this map already feel pretty good.. but a bunch of stuff is.. too big.

I mean- I do want to make halls and doors and such wider when there's monsters to fight.. but there aren't many enemies in this area, for example.

and some steps are feeling too high.. I seemed to use 16-unit-high steps a lot.. the one off to the left side is even 18 units tall.

Here's another example:

e2m1-3.png

I'd call this.. "decent-ish" (for what I was capable of in 2010)

- The door step / height is too high (another "16 unit" one)

- The computer outcrops don't align with the wall texture (should be 2 lower)

- The texture above the door isn't matching the rest of the wall (it's actually a different texture, not just misaligned)

I don't know how much of those examples were intentional in 2010 (in2010tional?) but they don't mesh well with my 2021 sensitivities.

Also, I think nowadays I wouldn't use a grey door in a grey area.. but I'll see how that works out ^^;

And another one:

e2m1-4.png

Vastly underdetailed and unaligned.

It's like.. I had the right ideas (the spacing feels good) but was still lacking.. "executional prowess"..? 

I'll let you decide for yourself what could be done better here. I already know a few things I'll start with.

However, I'm still mostly busy with my "old" project (URE2020) but I thought I should show some more detail on this map :3

Goodnight (for real this time)!

Edited by Zylinderkatze

"The best laid plans.."

So.. a lot has happened (and is happening) to E2M1. Most of it good!

One thing that will have to stop happening, though, is the way in which I had initially planned to add detail to the starting area:

e2m1a1.png

Oh.. oh no. Not again.

That's "only" 270/256 but I had basically barely started to remodel the crashed dropship. So I will either have to move it to a different spot (where less of the other parts of the outside area of the map are in direct line of sight) or find some other way to detail it with.. uhm.. less.. detail? xD

The latter isn't really an option, though. So instead I will just add a sight-blocking passage, made to look like a second wall that was "barely skirted" (as in.. narrowly avoided.. not scantily clad. you perv).

Right now it's like this (looking at it from the side):

W |                     __________
A |########          __| broken   |       ,- broken wall
L |# ship #_________|    building |______| |
L                                          |   other outside area      ______
             raised courtyard              |_________________________| turret |====
                                                                              |

(now as a code block so it might make more sense ^^)

...and it's basically all one line of sight.

This is how far I had gotten before I thought to check on my.. Vis'n'Segs:

e2m1a2.png

Not far. It still looks a lot like a bus.. or a container ^^;

I thought I'd share this roadblock with the group before fixing it~ 

In hopefully not too much time you'll be able to see it in its new place and in higher visual detail and fidelity! x3

Fingers crossed.

Edited by Zylinderkatze

It's happening again!

I think I mentioned it before in a post but if I didn't, here's the gist: When I was very actively mapping "in the 90s", I had nights when I'd dream of maps. Sometimes just single scenes or rooms, sometimes whole sections, even with monster placement and all (the first outside area of URE2020's E1M4 is an example.. and most of its E1M3 as a whole).

What I mean to say is- as the title already kind of gave away, I repeat..

again.png

It's happening again.

I'm not sure how to feel about this ^^;

6 hours ago, Zylinderkatze said:

I'm not sure how to feel about this ^^

be excited, i guess. ;-)

On 1/17/2021 at 7:38 AM, ketmar said:

be excited, i guess. ;-)

I actually am xD 

I feel as though the new ideas will serve as a lovely inspiration for the upcoming maps.

In a way, the fact that E2M1 is already mostly done (aside from some of the stuff I mentioned) is actually more of an obstacle, rather than a help, though. I have a feeling that it's at least part of the reason why I am a little reluctant to continue work on URE2021 (aside from the URE2020 testing phase taking up my attention).

I think I'll "gradually transition" back into my behavioral pattern of mapping several hours a day.. soon ^^;

Edited by Zylinderkatze

so we'll have at least year-long dev thread to read, and maps to play. two great things, both for free... count me in!

Ah yes, many places designated for digging! This looks pretty thrilling so far, I can't wait to see what the next maps will look like :)

2 hours ago, ketmar said:

so we'll have at least year-long dev thread to read, and maps to play. two great things, both for free... count me in!

I'm not promising anything.. but yes.

Potentially. 

@Gustavo6046

It's The Cheat

7 minutes ago, Gustavo6046 said:

I can't wait to see what the next maps will look like :)

It's positivity like this that keeps me going. And keeps me coming back. Which sounds like opposite things, now that I think of it >_> 

What I mean is: Thank you for dropping by and believing in this project! :)

if i'm not wrong, you don't need to dehack the burning barrel. It is already hardcoded on the exe. You only need to put the sprites inside your resource wad to make them appear on the builder.

Same apply for the monsters and other stuff, too.

Even the super shotgun, as it could potentially be use on UD.

Problem is that there is no way to change from one shotgun to the other.

Maybe i'm bad on this. But i'm more that thinking that its good as REKKR do something like that to also use the Doom 2 monsters rooster as dehacking basis.

50 minutes ago, Zylinderkatze said:

It's positivity like this that keeps me going. And keeps me coming back. Which sounds like opposite things, now that I think of it >_>

To come back is to go, just in a familiar direction :D

"Oh- you're posting again- are you back on this now? Or nah?"

Let me respond with a resounding "Kinda".

I'm not actively mapping again (yet) but I figured a forum post might get me back on track xD

So while I was doing other stuff, I had a few ideas ping-ponging in my mind about how to solve the detail problem in the starting area of E2M1.

My first approach was to add yet another wall in the "rasied courtyard" area (see my skillful ASCII art side view a few posts ago for reference) but that didn't really cut it. Here.. I'll show you!

e2m1b1.png

A first approach.. the GSTONE1 wall is what I put in to break the sightlines

Please disregard the completely unfinished, underdetailed crashed landing ship sticking out of the grey wall. 

And if you step a little to the right from that previous screenshot, you get to "step around" that wall and get to the original outside area:

e2m1b2.png

I have to admit I kind of like how this overhanging structure turned out.

Here's a map view, for good measure:

e2m1b3.png

In progress, hence the "J"-shaped wall only being broken on one side ^^;

The reason I am documenting this first approach of adding another wall is.. well.. I'm about to undo it xD

Instead I'm going to make it so that the whole ship is basically fully "embedded" in the wall and (lucky for the player) there's a room behind it.. which will look a little like a 90's rock band hotel room the next morning. 

This gives me the option to make as much of the wall around (or even behind) the ship collapsed to partially (or fully) block the view into the courtyard.. and thereby saving precious Vanilla Segs and Planes resources :)

Basically, you'll start off in a completely wasted room.. either a storage area (to get the "time until first crate" right out of the way for this episode) or possibly the inner workings of a computer mainframe / server room (cooler, but also kind of more complicated).

The idea already was (back in 2010 when this was originally made) that there's a computer room behind the wall that the ship crashed into.. only that in the original concept the crash was very light and the ship barely dented the wall. Now, in 2021, the wall will be fully devastated, basically. Had to do a little self editing for that last sentence xD

I'm thinking that the actual ship's position will not change that much, actually.. and even that new wall might stay in some way- only not as an outside area but instead the inside of the.. "server room come involuntary ship receptacle".

Addendum?

As a side(- or foot)note, all of these ideas (along with the original idea of the crashed ship which was originally a "glider" of sorts) came on to me on their own (and the glider is kind of a callback to the ship you got stuck with in the buoys in my 1995's original URE).

My 2010 "glider":

e2m1b4a.png

For the newer concept (more like a dropship) see earlier screenshots ^^

However in the thread for the final testing stage of URE2020, @Omniarch mentions "Phobos: Anomaly Reborn" which I was unaware of at the time.. and the crashed ship there (albeit much more detailed than mine) does have a whole bunch of similarities to mine. Which is retroactively another reason to make my crash look differently now xD

For comparison, here's the start of PAR:

PAR-e1m1.png

All credit to Chris Lutz, Download PAR here!

I'm definitely not trying to say that my maps are as detailed as those of Chris Lutz. What I'm trying to say is that if I saw those two screenshots, I'd say the person from the first screenshot (which would be me) seems to have "borrowed" a few too many cues from the person from the second screenshot (Lutz). Which is confusing because I never played or even saw PAR ^^;

Maybe it was the Shining?

Omniarch's favorite mapsets ''No End In Sight'', made by NaturalTvventy, Xaser, and Chris Lutz will surelly help you get some interesting idea... not that you need them, as your mapset are gorgeous and really creative, but this one i mentioned take a really reallistic abstract approach that may be interesting.

5 minutes ago, Zylinderkatze said:

I'm definitely not trying to say that my maps are as detailed as those of Chris Lutz. What I'm trying to say is that if I saw those two screenshots, I'd say the person from the first screenshot (which would be me) seems to have "borrowed" a few too many cues from the person from the second screenshot (Lutz). Which is confusing because I never played or even saw PAR ^^;

I certainly wouldn't think that, personally. I mean, there are only so many ways to make sector vehicles, after all. I don't think worrying about being too 'derivative' is a helpful practice. Especially for someone as original as you.

1 minute ago, P41R47 said:

Omniarch's favorite mapsets ''No End In Sight'', made by NaturalTvventy, Xaser, and Chris Lutz will surelly help you get some interesting idea... not that you need them, as your mapset are gorgeous and really creative, but this one i mentioned take a really reallistic abstract approach that may be interesting.

I second this. Spread the good word, brother!

28 minutes ago, Zylinderkatze said:

I'd say the person from the first screenshot (which would be me) seems to have "borrowed" a few too many cues from the person from the second screenshot (Lutz).

i heard that they call good stealing "an inspiration"...

28 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

get some interesting idea

+

41 minutes ago, Omniarch said:

I second this.

+

21 minutes ago, ketmar said:

good stealing

I am quite tempted to check it out- but at the same time I am still rather determined to stick to my initial plan of not looking at other people's work (unless directly pointed towards.. which I suppose you just did xD) ..I am kind of trying to keep myself "dumb", intentionally. 

I know there's no shame in seeking inspiration in various places (and I did and do play other games, of course).. but as far as Doom goes, I try to conjure everything up from my own mind, come up with my own ideas, in hopes that they will in some way be novel or unique to Doom ^^;

Also, when I do look at other people's stuff (like PAR), it makes me a little bit sad to realize that my own ideas aren't quite as novel or unique after all.. so there's another reason not to do it. Self-preservation! xD

I can absolutely and without envy acknowledge other people's impressive, inspired and skillful execution of ideas when I see them, though. It's not really that I want to shelter myself from the sheer creative prowess of my fellow mappers.. it's mainly just that I don't want to get too influenced by it.

As it stands right now, I kind of want to maintain this weird melange while I can: 90's Doom mapping "sensibility" without really having played any other PWADs since around 1995 / 96.. paired with the combined experience of.. well.. my life since then xD

However, I also don't want to deprive myself.. because from the few things that I did see since I returned here last year, there's some true masterpieces out there.

Oh boy, this has turned into an aimless "dear diary" type of post again.. I apologize ^^;

Time for bed! Goodnight!

11 minutes ago, Zylinderkatze said:

it makes me a little bit sad to realize that my own ideas aren't quite as novel or unique after all

people make alot of wonderful and different things with around seven notes... and we have alot more linedef types and textures! ;-)

you have your own style, combining old-school "feeling" and modern "vanilla detailing" anyway, it would be hard to hide it.

2 hours ago, Zylinderkatze said:

Also, when I do look at other people's stuff (like PAR), it makes me a little bit sad to realize that my own ideas aren't quite as novel or unique after all.. so there's another reason not to do it. Self-preservation! xD

I'm a writer. Maybe you will feel suspicious of it by my crude english, but on my native language i wrote a lot.

And do you know how i feel when i see my own ideas on old authors like James Joyce, Rabelais, Shakespeare, Diderot, Balzac, Dostoievski?

I don't feel bad, i feel proud of walking on the line those who were ostraziced walked before me.

Those that had it really hard, and no matter what, they made it throught with their own hands.

So don't preserve yourself, suffer them, endure them, and make them sprout like no other. Feel good of having great ideas as some other genious prior to you had. But also, take note that no idea is the same as other, maybe just similar, and thats the fascinating thing of a vreative mind. If you feel that they are too similar, then take another turn to the screw and make them even better ;)

Edited by P41R47

8 hours ago, Zylinderkatze said:

In addition to what @ketmar and @P41R47 said, and as a big fan of PAR and Lutz's work in general, this simply isn't so. Your style is completely distinct, and would in all likelihood remain so regardless of which wads you play. If anything, having a broad source of inspiration would allow you to be even more creative, that's certainly my experience. I also know from personal experience that fretting about the uniqueness and integrity of one's authorial 'voice' is unproductive.

7 hours ago, P41R47 said:

I'm a writer. Maybe you will feel suspicious of it by my crude english, but on my native language i wrote a lot.

Same here, well sort of. I have a lot of unfinished manuscripts from my teenage years sitting on my hard-drive, though I have sadly neglected the craft in recent years. What kind of writing do you do?

12 hours ago, P41R47 said:

I don't feel bad, i feel proud of walking on the line those who were ostraziced walked before me.

Now that we're talking about the context of other mappers, or other people of the same calling in general, I believe I should probably rename this thread. I'm concerned that "standing on the shoulders of dwarves" (as opposed to "giants") might be taken as an intended jab at other editors before me.. which it definitely isn't. It was never meant as anything other than a slightly self-deprecating jab at myself and the recently finished URE2020 ^^;

5 hours ago, Omniarch said:

Your style is completely distinct, and would in all likelihood remain so regardless of which wads you play

Your presumption / assertion is correct.. because of course I did end up downloading "No End In Sight" last night and playing the first few maps of the first episode until it was way past my bedtime xD I was quite impressed by their flow, access to secrets (the ones that I did find), hinting in general (textures offset slightly or noticably- or using BROWNGRN next to SLADWALL, etc) and some of the interactive elements I saw so far were quite choice as well. Like the use of the "Donut" action to open the path to the exit in map.. uhm.. 2? 3? I'm not at my PC right now so I can't check ^^;

And it's true- I found myself appreciating their work, wondering about a few misaligned textures that weren't secrets.. and wondering why I couldn't use computer terminals or shoot walls with bullet holes in them (I'm too used to my own approaches xD).. I also found myself thinking "neat! but I'd do it differently".. so you're right. 

Also, playing it yesterday kind of gave me an idea for a trap / environmental effect.. that isn't even directly related to their levels specifically but from the way that particular level "felt" to me at that moment.

So.. yay? xD

Of course, knowing the unreliability of the human mind and the "hole-iness" of the human memory, I can not guarantee that some day I won't have an idea "of my own" that will in fact just be my mind mixing and matching stuff I saw before. But then again, that is part of the (creative) process.. making new connection and spinning the new from the old, building on the known to reach the unknown..

But I still won't play too many other PWADs because.. well.. I'm on a schedule here!

1 hour ago, Zylinderkatze said:

Your presumption / assertion is correct.. because of course I did end up downloading "No End In Sight" last night and playing the first few maps of the first episode until it was way past my bedtime xD I was quite impressed by their flow, access to secrets (the ones that I did find), hinting in general (textures offset slightly or noticably- or using BROWNGRN next to SLADWALL, etc) and some of the interactive elements I saw so far were quite choice as well. Like the use of the "Donut" action to open the path to the exit in map.. uhm.. 2? 3? I'm not at my PC right now so I can't check ^^;

Oh boy, you are in for a treat! Sometimes I find myself wishing I could wipe my memory and play NEIS again with fresh eyes. Each successive episode is grander and more creative than the last, with the fourth containing an entire megawad's worth of stand-out masterpieces. Also, the set-piece making use of the donut action is in E1M2 "Slime Trails". Yes, I do know every map off by heart, and yes, I am indeed a sad, sad individual.

Also, playing it yesterday kind of gave me an idea for a trap / environmental effect.. that isn't even directly related to their levels specifically but from the way that particular level "felt" to me at that moment.

So.. yay? xD

Of course, knowing the unreliability of the human mind and the "hole-iness" of the human memory, I can not guarantee that some day I won't have an idea "of my own" that will in fact just be my mind mixing and matching stuff I saw before.

Very true.

But then again, that is part of the (creative) process.. making new connection and spinning the new from the old, building on the known to reach the unknown..

Poetic, and also very true.

But I still won't play too many other PWADs because.. well.. I'm on a schedule here!

If I had such discipline, I'd have made a whole megawad by now!

14 hours ago, Omniarch said:

Same here, well sort of. I have a lot of unfinished manuscripts from my teenage years sitting on my hard-drive, though I have sadly neglected the craft in recent years. What kind of writing do you do?

I always wanted to be a writer, but i didn't had the confidence to do it, then i met my wife and she is a great writer as i never seen before. So that opened my eyes and i realice that is just a matter of practice and love. So i tackle this, my self impossed challenge of becoming a writer on my own. 10 years on the practice and learning, so i think i have enough experience to come out of my desktop.

I'm trying to star publishing. First on my own, just to know the business, and later on a publishing house. I know my work has potential, i just need to find a publishing house that is interested on it.

I wrote poetry, short tales, essays, novels. I already have like 5 books completed, but i still doesn't published any.

I'm working on my way to publish a poetry book. If things go well, i hope to publish it this year.

8 hours ago, Zylinderkatze said:

Now that we're talking about the context of other mappers, or other people of the same calling in general, I believe I should probably rename this thread. I'm concerned that "standing on the shoulders of dwarves" (as opposed to "giants") might be taken as an intended jab at other editors before me.. which it definitely isn't. It was never meant as anything other than a slightly self-deprecating jab at myself and the recently finished URE2020 ^^;

Pummel yourself until you become a fleshy and meaty bulb of blood. Only by hitting the wall again and again you will be able to find a new way against, a hole to make it throught.

No mastery is easy.

Fortunately to us, we are here for the passion and love.

And that could be unlimited.

The only limit is your own desire...and the visplane overflow :P

Edited by P41R47

3 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

trying to star publishing. First on my own just to know the business, and later on a publishing house if i'm good enough.

I wrote poetry, short tales, essays, novels. I already have like 5 books completed, but i still doesn't published any.

I'm working on my way to publish a poetry book. If things go well, i hope to publish it this year.

Interesting! Would you mind sending me a DM summarizing your novels? As a fellow writer, I'm intrigued by your work, but I don't want to derail the thread.

6 hours ago, Omniarch said:

Sometimes I find myself wishing I could wipe my memory and play NEIS again with fresh eyes.

I know what you mean! It's like that for me (and many others, I'm sure) with books, movies, even music.. although a little less with music. The right song seems to only hit harder each time, instead :) But I think, in a way, that's where you can somehow wring some "second-hand first hand impression" from watching people playtest levels for the first time- or showing a friend who you can (unintrusively) observe in real life (your) levels xD

I actually had a slightly related talk with @Lippeth about the way in which a third party potentially experiencing your work for the first time kind of helps you give yourself a new perspective on it.. it's peculiar how empathy can inform your perception.

6 hours ago, Omniarch said:

Poetic, and also very true.

Thank you ^^; I get "wordy" when it's late. Seeing how it's midnight here now, I should probably step away from the forum really soon xD

26 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

If things go well, i hope to publish it this year.

That's awesome- I hope you can! Seems like you have a lot of pent up "wordsmithship" eager to be unleashed!

27 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Fortunately to us, we are here for the passion and love.

That is very true. And yes, I strongly believe that there is still a lot of room to grow, creatively, for me. Not so much physically xD ..I am satisfied (for the time being) with how URE2020 turned out.. but in a way I am probably just as curious as anyone else who's actively following this thread (or the ones before) to find out where URE2021 is going to go :D

29 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

The only limit is your own desire...and the visplane overflow :P

One being a little more limited than the other. But I'm not saying which xD

22 minutes ago, Omniarch said:

I'm intrigued by your work, but I don't want to derail the thread.

And you say you have no discipline!

(this wasn't addressed at me, I know, but I couldn't resist the callback)

I appreciate your "stick to the subject" sentiment.. I shall do the same, come tomorrow! It's my first "dedicated mapping day" after a turbulent last few weeks.. and I'm rather looking forward to "fixing" E2M1 as far as I can in a day ^^

Speaking of days.. One day, you two (@P41R47 and @Omniarch) will look back to this forum thread on this day, after years of fruitful co-writing and co-publishing of literary masterpieces and raise your glasses to Doom(world)! :D

I'm out for today; Tomorrow: Actual map content!

Goodnight! xD

Okay one last post before I post about the maps!

It was all the way back in 2007 when a friend (or "really good coworker" if you want to make a distinction) and I scribbled on a piece of paper, passing it back and forth and gradually creating something of an abomination.

It was a cat

It had a cane

It wore a top hat

It was on a skateboard

It was dancing on the skateboard

To top it all off (pun intended), inside the top hat was another, smaller cat with a top hat. Also, the top hat was on fire.

Oh.. and someone was shooting at it to dance faster, old-timey Western style.

Why am I telling you this?

On THIS DAY in 2015 I rediscovered that crumpled up, coffee stained piece of graph paper.. and decided to pick it up as my username!

Zylinder = top hat (in this context)

Katze = cat (in every context)

I wonder which important childhood memory of yours was just now deleted to make room for this useless info!

You're welcome <3