29. Map02 [18:00] dei_eldren
  30. Map01 [37 kills] Major Arlene
  31. Map01 [23 kills] ukiro
  32. Map01 [4 kills - Game Crashed] NoisyVelvet

Prepared Leaderboard

1. Map02 [4:38] an_mutt
  2. Map02 [5:53] ukiro

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthly competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag at the bottom of the post for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

This month the DWIronman League dies to Sawdust (-complevel 11). Sawdust is a collection of 7 maps that were scrapped by @skillsaw during the development of Valiant, which is one of the skillsaw's 2 big megawads. The fact that they were scrapped would make you think that these maps are badly designed, but that is not the case. The maps are still very enjoyable and in ways similar in design to his older wad, Vanguard. As in the case of Valiant, Sawdust comes with many custom monsters and modified pistol/chaingun to freshen up the gameplay.

Hopefully 2021 will turn out to be a better year for DWIL with more participants this year compared to 2020.

Essential Info:

• Doom 2: Hell on Earth as the iwad (doom2.wad)
  • Compatibility level 11 for PrBoom+, or "MBF (strict)" for modern GZDoom. Use "MBF" and then turn on "actors are infinitely tall" for older (G)ZDoom ports that don't have MBF(strict) compatibility option.
  • Time estimate: 1-2 hours
  • Number of maps: 7
  • Deadline: 31st January 2021
  • EDIT: On Map07, once you get through the red key doors and face arachnotrons, it is possible to softlock yourself from getting the blue key if you kill two arachnotrons at the exact same time. So be careful when killing them.

Download Sawdust

prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file sawdust.wad -complevel 11 -skill 4 -record demo_name.lmp

Rules:

Spoiler

• There are two competitions: Standard and Prepared:
    • To compete successfully in the Standard competition: your first play of the selected WAD(s) constitutes your one and only attempt for the month.
    • To compete successfully in the Prepared competition: your one and only attempt for the month is determined BY YOU immediately before play and may follow any prior number of active (playing the set) preparation that is strictly for practice/inspection purposes only. You cannot compete in the Standard competition after submitting a run to the Prepared competition. You may submit the first of your practice attempts to the Standard competition.
  • UV only (excepting 1CC format), continuous recording. No pistol-starting each level.
  • Demos (PrBoom+, GLBoom, Eternity or Chocolate), stream highlights and video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 
  • No additional WADs may be loaded.
  • No inspection of the WAD(s)'s content in an editor if you are submitting a Standard run.
  • No cheat codes and no features that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set). This includes dynamic lights and brightmaps. If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatibility options, you must display these settings on-screen before your run. In ZDoom derivative ports, "Doom/Boom(strict)" will suffice.
  • If you choose to stream/record your run for video rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on the first map of a set OR because a single level was selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels than his/her competitors will rank higher than them.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details.
  • If the recording of your official run is interrupted due to technical difficulties, you are not permitted a second attempt. Any surviving recording may be used to register a DNF result.
  • Accidentally restarting a level before a death exit takes you to the tally screen will disqualify your run.
  • If you are competing in the Standard competition, you are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I cannot remember any details that would offer a reasonable advantage over truly blind players. *
  2. This is not a blind run. I have familiarity with the set - played the level/set before, or watched it being played, and can remember some details that would offer a reasonable advantage over blind players.
  3. This is not a blind run. I have passively prepared for the competition - watched the level/set being played via stream, demo or video after it was announced as this month's challenge.

* "Reasonable" in this instance asks you to consider whether the details in question are worth committing to memory. As in, you would thank the person who gave you this information with a straight face and not expect to be laughed at for being an utter berk.

Previous threads:

Spoiler

Edited by ReaperAA

Important Info

On Map07, once you get through the red key doors and face arachnotrons, it is possible to softlock yourself from getting the blue key if you kill two arachnotrons at the exact same time. So be careful when killing them.

Edited by ReaperAA

You had me worried there for a moment with the title.

Anyways, glad to see that the Ironman League is back for another year......and with it, I have a small announcement to make!

unclebowl2021.jpg.642eeb86af46caee90e9cdfffb3a6620.jpg

That's right, the return of an old Britbowl rivalry that never really got properly resolved! (thanks to v0lt13 for the picture) In 2017 we tied it up at 6 wins each when we last competed with each other over an entire year of Ironman, and the vaunted tiebreaker never happened at the time. So now, it's time to decide an actual winner in this entirely-for-fun duel.

For the whole of 2021, myself and @an_mutt will be competing against each other as fellow new British uncles in each month of the Doomworld Ironman League. Whomever goes the furthest and/or the fastest in each month gets a point, and the person with the most points at the end of the year wins......something or other. (to be determined later) Both of us will be livestreaming our monthly Ironman League attempts for all to witness, and feel free to pick sides if you want to.

https://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee = myself.

https://www.twitch.tv/an_mutt = my Unclebowl rival.

Let the trash-talking and general Unclebowl-related antics commence!

Edited by Suitepee

3 hours ago, Andromeda said:

Recorded on dsda-doom 0.10.0 -complevel 11, category 1.

Dead on MAP02, reached in 3:33  - Those bombers sure are deadly...

Watched your play - nicely done for a blind run!

Another of the unknown bunch for me. Guess that a blind category will happen.

3 hours ago, Suitepee said:

So now, it's time to decide an actual winner in this entirely-for-fun duel.

As a two-time Britbowl Champion I must say that even if I lose this year (and I won't) I'll still be one up over my fellow recently made uncle British person.

I don't know when I'll actually stream my playthrough of this, but I'll most likely do a couple test streams of some other skillsaw mapsets just to shake off all the rust of having not streamed for the last year or having played Doom since at least the summer.

Category 1 Survived in 56:32 - quite a lot of IRL distractions while recording this.. at one point wasn't even playing with my headphones on since some1 was talking to me so I think that was during Map 03.. anyway fun skillsaw wad with a few dangerous traps that almost caught me off guard. :) 

DWIronman-sawdust-dubz.zip

ro_im_12614.zip

Category 1 survived in 1:26:14.

Cool wad. However there is a very serious difficulty spike in map 02. I almost died in this map.

I got AAAAAHHHHHHHH'ed on the start of Map04. 

Demo: ReaperAA_sawdustdemo.zip

Time taken to reach Map04: 20:37

I would have to say that I had really underestimated the difficulty of the wad, especially map02. I did remember "that" trap to some extent, but had forgotten the exact monster composition. Also I had forgotten about the bombers at the start of map04. Don't be greedy like me by trying to save that megasphere, you might regret it.

Yet another death in map 02! 66/100 monsters killed. A dumb rocket didn't help my case but I probably would have died anyway, that arena sure is tough! Category 1, prBoom+

00ironman_horus.zip

1st time ever doing an ironman run, heck it was my first time ever recording a demo. Needless to say i was actually pretty nervous. 

And now here comes the embarrassing part, i died on map 2 at 5:30 to a rev rocket when i clipped on a pillar. FeelsBadMan

Standard, Category 1 using glBoom+

That being said, i had alot of fun! Added a whole new layer of depth to doom for me. Excited to try again next month! Cheers.

sapphics-sawdust.rar

Cat 1, softlocked on map07 by killing two arachnotrons at the same time, making it impossible to progress. I used recordfromto to make a second demo that avoids it, if that's accepted it'll be a survival in 44:18.

dwironman_daerik_sawdust_softlock.zip

dwironman_daerik_sawdust_recordfromto.zip

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/869460714

Very enjoyable set of maps, and considering the amount of time I've spent playing Valiant I probably should've gotten around to playing this sooner.

I was planning on picking a skillsaw set for February if I ended up hosting, so sawdust being picked makes that slightly awkward to consider.

5 hours ago, Daerik said:

Cat 1, softlocked on map07 by killing two arachnotrons at the same time, making it impossible to progress. I used recordfromto to make a second demo that avoids it, if that's accepted it'll be a survival in 44:18.

Thanks for the info. I have added it in OP and the reserved comment. Also I will accept your survival run, since you clearly would have survived the map anyway had that softlock not occurred and also because I blame it on myself for not knowing and mentioning about this in OP.

Arachnotron on MAP04 told me I'm not good enough to blast through WADs like this absolutely blindly. I was hoping that I am until 43:07.

Music on MAP02 is a killer, so grievous and severe.

dwisdust.zip

@Daerik, pls ping me no later than 31st of January who of us two will take February.

Standard Run, Category 1.

I died in MAP02 with 35/100 kills.
Time: I finished MAP01 in 5:24.
Recorded: Twitch live via OBS, played on GZDoom 4.4.2. with MBF (strict) compatibility settings.

Video: (playthrough starts at 1:12

Wow that was fun! Right after dying I saved the video and then continued on, but finally had to give up, not being able to progress past MAP04. Vicious, glorious carnage. I was a bit surprised but some of the enemy attacks. Are there tiny differences between the behaviour of the super imp fireballs, compared to Valiant?

M3, C1

sawdustfe.zip

PS'd a few maps later, notably 05-07. easy stuff so i feel a bit robbed by dying to infinitely tall shenanigans after panicking

Never played Valiant but was aware of most of its custom monsters and quick imp fireballs. Seems like this WAD is maps that were thrown out of it?

Nice to see you back in action NaZa. Hope to see you participate in DWIL again, even if just as a contestant this time.

Yeah Maps 5 to 7 are actually easier. I personally think Map 2 and 4 are probably the hardest maps in Sawdust.

Also you are correct that this wad consists of maps that were rejected from Valiant. Although there are some areas, like one of the sections of Map 4, that is present in an episode 3 map of Valiant.

Category 1, dead on map07 at around 1:10:00. Map06 was finished at 1:09:13.

Spoiler

Quite a stupid death considering what I had endured up until that point. Map04 in particular has a really bullshit start where I'm pretty sure multiple kamikazes teleported right on top of me.

ironsaw-pseudonaut.zip

Category 1 demo. Survived the set in 1:12:10. I've almost killed myself on map03, but otherwise everything went alright.

Spoiler

I've also managed to exit map05 with just 2 keys, but IIRC that happened due to MBF bug.

Category: 1

Dead on: Map 02

Kills: 14/100

Time: 9:58

dwi_pegleg_sawdust_cat1.zip

That was a step up from Map 01 to Map 02, for sure. I thought I had finished the monster that ended up taking me out. The maps played well, the progression made sense, the traps were reasonable, and the aesthetics were good. All in all, not bad. I enjoyed the set, and may play it again on a lower difficulty.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/880174738

Category : 1

Dead on: Map 02

Kills: 39/100

Time: About the 2:45 mark on map 2 upon my death, cleared map 1 in 5:37.

Not a great start to the Unclebowl 2021 for me. Killed by a Cybruiser during THAT ambush on map 2, although had I known the vile was coming I might have stopped trying to get the other barons to infight earlier and just killed them instead. Such is the peril of a blind run.

Over to @an_mutt for the response. I hope he's still as rusty as he claims.

On 1/11/2021 at 7:47 AM, Vince Vega said:

Arachnotron on MAP04 told me I'm not good enough to blast through WADs like this absolutely blindly. I was hoping that I am until 43:07.

Music on MAP02 is a killer, so grievous and severe.

dwisdust.zip

@Daerik, pls ping me no later than 31st of January who of us two will take February.

@Vince Vega @ReaperAA I'm alright with taking next months Ironman.