Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

OT: Unreal 2 screens preview scan of PCzone

Black Void said:

Sweet - Unreal games are even better then *hoping not to be flamed* quake games.

Quake II was definetly better than Unreal IMO, but then UT was much better than Quake 3.

So far Unreal II visually looks "better" than Doom III, despite its lack of next-gen graphics tech. U2 is going for beauty and grand scale, Doom III is going for dark realism.

I agree with AndrewB, the standardized form of FPS must die. I still consider Half-Life the best single-player FPS ever made, but in the end games like Deus Ex and Thief are much more compelling and offer more value for your $50 (or €50).

Lord FlatHead said:

So far Unreal II visually looks "better" than Doom III, despite its lack of next-gen graphics tech. U2 is going for beauty and grand scale, Doom III is going for dark realism.

I do not agree. Unreal II suffers from some design issues.

Looks great, although I prefer the darker setting of Doom III more.
Some of the textures in Unreal 2 look a little too happy in my opinion.

Disorder said:

Looks great, although I prefer the darker setting of Doom III more.
Some of the textures in Unreal 2 look a little too happy in my opinion.

So do the monsters!

Lord FlatHead said:

Quake II was definetly better than Unreal IMO, but then UT was much better than Quake 3.

Well, imo Quake 2 was a far more entertaining game than Unreal, but Unreal looked better.
With UT and Q3A it seems like the world was turned upside down as the Quake multiplayer game was the best looking of the two. I never tried UT, but I get the impression that it was more fun than Q3A due to more game modes. I dunno if I would've cared anyway.

I don't know what you mean by Unreal 2 "looking visually better than Doom 3", but I certainly do not agree. Yes, Unreal 2 has grand outdoor areas and all, but the only real purpose that outdoor areas serve is to give certain players a break from the claustrophobia of the narrow corridors and personally, I don't give squat about outdoor areas.
I actually hate large outdoor areas because usually, they just involve walking/running half a mile with little exciting combat - exciting combat being combat where you can dive behind cover and where you have to figure out how best to overcome your foe. Large outdoor areas usually just mean that you can pull out a sniper rifle and take the enemy down before they can get close enough to bag you - boring.

And no, the inside locations of Unreal 2 look nowhere near as visually exciting as the areas in Doom 3 and neither do the characters - the human soldier characters look mostly ridiculously bulky with armour suits that look like they weigh 2 tonnes and I find myself liking the more mutated, demonic forms of the Doom 3 monsters a lot more than those cool, but slightly cheesy U2 aliens.

Just my opinion.

Looks like UT2K3 on crack. Quite good, but still cartoonish. Judging from these screenshots, no competition for Doom 3.

Pift. Quake 3 owns UT and all it shallow gimmicks. UT felt more like a mod then a game to me. But for some reason, people seem like that sort of thing, so meh.

As for the whole standardization of FPS, well I was ready to head AndrewB over the head with a steel pipe, but then I realized, post doom 3, what else is there?

Well ok, something really stupid would have to happen to make Thief 3 a dud, and Deus Ex 2 should be worth investing in. but other then that... Quake 4? Well, I have my doubts about raven, and it will be difficult for Half Life 2 to be really special... which is a pity, since FPS’s are by far my favorite type of game.

One of the enemies is suffering severely from a rather peculiar branch of the chainmail bikini syndrome.

I wouldn't say that Doom 3 is aiming for more realism than Unreal 2.

It's more like: Unreal 2 is more colourful, Doom 3 is more classy.

Well, In my opinion, a game played in the first person veiw is called a shooter, which is, basically, why many games in the genre are becoming boring and uninspired. Attention is payed to make guns look cool, graphics mindblowing but gameplay = point and shoot. The direction I want to see games go is multi genre style games. Battlezone for example, It was primarily a tank game with strategy on it, but it played very nicely, not to mention it had a cool story.

I would like to see games where you aren't the only main character, a fair selection of weapons all modifiyable in one way or another, vehicles, customizable as well, and a way to control multiple other units. add in a story and a basic way to upgrade your character. Also add some other stuff.

I'm looking forward to Unreal 2 much more than Doom 3 at the moment... it just looks so much more colourful and epic than Doom 3. Of course, Doom 3 looks fucking great although I'm worried that it's going to be a bit too dark. Can't wait to see the hell sections though :D

Plus, I think Unreal 2 is coming out before Doom 3. Both look like great games :D